By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Xbox One and PS4 Doomed to follow in the footsteps of Wii U?

I think console gaming is dead. Most of the kids I see lately use tablets for games. The economy killed gaming. Parents can't afford 400 dollars for a system for their children.

Love is whats most important.

Around the Network
LilChicken22 said:
HikenNoAce said:
No. The PS4 has 4 bundles that are in the Top 100 selling game items on Amazon.

Like the Wii U was.

There are no big-selling exclusives announced for PS4 at launch. PS4 will be a Vita-scenario. Huge hype on the internet =/= good sales. Only the first week will be good, like all consoles do in their first week.

Xbox One  has Forza, Killer Instict and Ryse which are more unique titles. Still, Forza is the only one that can boost XOne sales since KI and Ryse are new IP's to Xbox gamers.

No it didn't.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2012/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye#1

I don't understand the hype over Killer Instinct. Everyone did played it back then, but they all say it was not that good and multiplayer would suck.

And Ryse, from what I saw, is a serie of QTES with gorgeous graphics.

Forza is the only good launch title to me, and I'm not into racing games.

LilChicken22 said:
HikenNoAce said:

Like the Wii U was.

There are no big-selling exclusives announced for PS4 at launch. PS4 will be a Vita-scenario. Huge hype on the internet =/= good sales. Only the first week will be good, like all consoles do in their first week.

Xbox One  has Forza, Killer Instict and Ryse which are more unique titles. Still, Forza is the only one that can boost XOne sales since KI and Ryse are new IP's to Xbox gamers.

Except that's not true. The WiiU isn't in the Top 100 selling game items on Amazon in 2012.

Neither the PS4 or X1 appear to be going for truly global launches this year, so that obviously limits sales potential a little bit. Both of them have vague Asian launch plans at the moment (obviously that's a bigger deal for the PS4), and unless I've missed a change in plans the X1 is only launching in a select number of countries.

So that could certainly prove interesting for the launch period at least.

VGChartz

do you mean in selling 30-50m consoles,they all have that core of customers,what happens after that is any ones guess,

quite a lot of gamers are 25-35yr old i don't think 400 notes is that much of a problem

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
HikenNoAce said:
LilChicken22 said:
HikenNoAce said:

Like the Wii U was.

Except that's not true. The WiiU isn't in the Top 100 selling game items on Amazon in 2012.

My mistake. I didn't mean solely Amazon, but more shops worldwide. Amazon doesn't do a great job at selling Nintendo Products. It even promotes the Vita more than 3DS. Amazon and Nintendo don't have a good relationship at all.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2012/09/17/nintendo-wii-u-pre-orders-sold-out/

LilChicken22 said:

My mistake. I didn't mean solely Amazon, but more shops worldwide. Amazon doesn't do a great job at selling Nintendo Products. It even promotes the Vita more than 3DS. Amazon and Nintendo don't have a good relationship at all.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2012/09/17/nintendo-wii-u-pre-orders-sold-out/

Sure about that? Luigi's Mansion 2 is the 4th best selling games on Amazon this year. AC is at 9.

Probably. Though it wouldn't exactly be a rare thing, you can count the systems that had good first years on one hand. If they'll go as low as WiiU and Vita have is yet impossible to say though.

iceboy151 said:

The Wii U had nothing exciting at launch except New Super Mario Bros. U. The ports are games that people already played. Ghosts, BF4, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, and Fifa 14 are games that people will want to play. So that will keep the next gen consoles afloat. But those games will also be on current gen consoles, as well as GTA5 being a gen 3 exclusive will kind of hurt these consoles.

GTA5 a 'gen 3' exclusive? Didn't know it only came out on NES and Master System ? Anyway I agree with the premise, big games like that not being on the next gen systems will hurt them. Like GT6, Sony should've put that as a PS4 launch game. Would've insured good sales.

People have mentioned that the PS4 and XBone aren't aiming for casuals? Seeing as how M$ announced a machine that did everything under the sun and "it also is a games console", I am sure that they have a plan outside of the core gamer. As for Sony, they went the other route when they announced, because they were pandering to the core gamers when they knew they would be the only ones paying attention 10 months from launch. Since Sony announced, they have made minor comments that said that the PS4 "can do that too" for most of M$'s plans and capabilities. Even with that said, I do think that both of them will have slow sales the first year because of price and the need for the market to get excited for the next gen capabilities. They need to have systems in homes spreading the word through use. That's why I think that the long term for the PS4 may be limited somewhat. The PS4 looks like more of the same with better graphics. The wiiU at least has some type of gimmick(tablet). The XBone is promoting its multimedia and advanced Kinect. Of course we will have to wait and see.

The next gen will lag for awhile. People will start with the doom and gloom without realizing that this is a normal part of the cycle. As long as third-parties create cross-gen games scattered among all systems, adoption will be slow, kind of like with the Vita. I await the "console gaming is dead" threads with glee.

Actually, as far as I can see, supporting the current gen while launching the next gen seems to be a part of Sony's strategy, though I'm not sure about the others. After all, money is money.

The next gen will really kick in when the exclusives pile up and third-parties move on to next gen versions only. It might take a year or perhaps longer but it will happen.