By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anyone ever thought of this... maybe its a good thing Wii U had a rough first year?

Will the Wii U be a success?

yes 231 70.43%

no 97 29.57%

Total:328

Honestly, I don't know if I want anyone to copy the tablet style idea. The only feature I use is the off screen gaming through the tablet. Nintendo has yet to show anything that can convince me tablets can enhance my gaming experience.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

I think Zombi U and Lego City use the controller well. And for games such as say Oblivion/Skyrim, a permanent inventory would be awesome.

It just needs the Wii U to gain a bit of traction for developers to want to make more use of the pad.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
killerzX said:

at bolded: yeah it can, and probably even better than the wiiU tablet. because the vita has on board processing. it has a much higher resolution screen. much better touch screen technology, and more control inputs.

I feel like such a traitor (up to Wii, Nintendo was my primary games company) but I can't help but wish I could use my Vita instead of the Wii U pad for Wii U games.

I was going to comment that actually yes, the Vita is more capable at doing what the Wii U does than the Wii U. Sony need to figure out how to sell some more Vitas though :(

yep. sony doesnt have any clue what they are doing with the vita.

killerzX said:
snyps said:

If Wii U had been a smash success, like wii, sony and ms would obviously have put more focus and development into their own tablet controller, right? Lets face it, vita remote is no where near the same as gamepad. Vita remote can't act as a second screen, it only mimicks the offscreen feature. And smart glass is not an xbox controller.

So if Nintendo turns the Wii U around, they will be the only ones with a true tablet controller with 100% attach rate. So if and when the competition tries to copy like they did the wii remote with move and kinect, they will still be behind.

What are your thoughts? Btw im not suggesting this was the plan all along. Do you think the fact that sony and ms didn't copy Nintendo's tablet strategy could help the house that Mario built?

at bolded: yeah it can, and probably even better than the wiiU tablet. because the vita has on board processing. it has a much higher resolution screen. much better touch screen technology, and more control inputs.

its funny you mention Vita cause word on the street is that Deus Ex HR DC for PS3 will actually have some Vita functions probably similar to Wii U. Dont know how true that is.

epicgamer49 said:
Didnt sony copy the Wii by adding motion controls into the ps3 controller (duelshock 3). Which NO one uses, they should have use that money and made the overall controller better. (but i still like the controller)

considering that PS3 and Wii launched at the same time adn also the fact that Sony brought motion tech to the stores before Wii did(eyetoy) this is wrong, unless Sony has some magic tech pixies that can make anything in monts time. I doubt they copied. Move did copy the wiimote concept

Around the Network
oniyide said:
epicgamer49 said:
Didnt sony copy the Wii by adding motion controls into the ps3 controller (duelshock 3). Which NO one uses, they should have use that money and made the overall controller better. (but i still like the controller)

considering that PS3 and Wii launched at the same time adn also the fact that Sony brought motion tech to the stores before Wii did(eyetoy) this is wrong, unless Sony has some magic tech pixies that can make anything in monts time. I doubt they copied. Move did copy the wiimote concept

the ps3 actually launched a few days before the wii did. nominal i know, but still. lol

I remember that E3 when they were both fully unveiled.

Nintendo unveiled Wii, then Sony had their show, and I joked with a mate "now they're going to unveil motion controls" and they did! It was hilarious!

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
I remember that E3 when they were both fully unveiled.

Nintendo unveiled Wii, then Sony had their show, and I joked with a mate "now they're going to unveil motion controls" and they did! It was hilarious!

yeah it was something my point was that unless Sony had spies or they are that quick, they didnt really copy anything, the argument could be made for Move

oniyide said:
snyps said:

Sorry it took me so long. I saw your reply and couldn't come up with a response. You misunderstood me actually. Right or wrong I was suggesting that if Wii U or 3DS had no exclusive features then they'd be crushed. Just like dreamcast, xbox, and gamecube were crushed by ps2. You are stating that 3D has nothing to do with 3DS success and touchscreen is not needed for Wii U to succeed. I'd like to get a response from you on how well they would do without those features! But if you can't answer then we have nothing left to discuss.

For pikmin 3 and mk8, probably you're right. Time will tell that's all. I really can't see it happening either. All I know is I haven't played them yet so I'm reserving my judgement and remaining hopeful.

Now, you asked why wouldn't the touchscreen be put on the backburner like the more popular motion control. I already answered that. The reason is, the touchscreen adds to the traditional dual analog controller, where as, the wii remote subracts from it. I can see if there is no demand and the expense is to high then sure, you have a point, the touchscreen could go on the backburner. My point is that having a touchscreen on your dual analog controller doesn't hinder the user who likes dual analog controls. So, I admit you have a point. It won't stay if users don't care about it because even though it all positives to the user, it's not worth to cost to the manufacturer. Ergo backburner like you said.

And for the discussion about it being silly for one person to have the 'alpha' controller while the other players are stuck with standard controllers. I see where it's a little weird. It just doesn't actually make a difference except in your head. There's no difference between using two ps3 controllers split-screen and using one gamepad and one pro controller split-screen (except that you don't have to split a screen). So, one more time, you are not subtracting anything from the dual analog experience when you add touchscreen. It's just hard for ppl to accept change. Please do address my questions from the first paragraph. Thank you.

you're comparing a home consoles to portables, thats already flawed. SNES and PS1 didnt get crushed. they needed no crazy features. The WIi U is getting crushed right now WITH those features...by consoles that have been around for years...by a lot! So that much mean the features it has isnt really worth that much of a damn. It would be doing just as bad with it but slightly worst, which is kinda sad if you think about it. Its already doing bad with its unique feature, think about how crazy that is. The 3DS was in a similar not so bad position, clearly not enough people cared about 3d which is why Ninty rushed some stuff out and dropped the price like a hot pan. But 3DS has little competition, its a Ninty handheld it was NEVER going to get crushed, 3d or not. GB had even LESS features than its comp and crushed.

Fair enough ill ire on the side of caution

IT doesnt make a difference except in your head? IMHO the fact that you can only use on pad per console is contributing to the poor sales, like I said that is a hard sell, no matter the company. Hell Apple would be hard pressed to sell that. Come on, man. THeres a huge difference. PS3 uses the SAME controller. if one person has a gamepad and the other a regular, then someone clearly has an ADVANTAGE over the other, again, thats a hell of a hard sell and that is a difference that is not in your head, its right their in living color. Now you can say maybe the gamepad will just function as a regular controller, then what the hell woudl be the the point? Save yourself arithis and just use a regular controller, then what would be the point of WIi U? Just stick to what you have. This might be a conversation someone might have. 

Snes basicly tied with megadrive and snes had extra features like mode 7, pre-rendering, and standard shoulder buttons. The ps1 and n64 had different features. One had disc technology and the other had palatable 3D. Ps2, on the other hand was the only console that gen that played dvds without special equipment. That's quite a feature for it's time. So anyway, you said what I was saying, the Wii U would be doing worse without the touchscreen feature. You say slightly I say mightily, either way, the feature is an advantage then. Especially in the long veiw and I'm glad no one copied it.

You say the person with the gamepad has the advantage over the person with the pro controller... Name one game where this is the case. You also asked me what's the point if you can just use regular controllers to do the job with less hand pain. First, I have arthritis, it hurts less when i use the gamepad and more when i use dualshock. I could tell you a long story but should be enough. Second, the benefit or point if you will, is multiplayer without cheating; looking at eachothers screen. I understand your point about it being a hard sell. Because it's a mental perception. I too want dual gamepad compatabillity. The issue is the gamepad costs 2 and a half times the price of a regular controller and the game must be programmed to support it. So there's not much incentive for consumers or developers right now. It will happen.

though you discount both the Vita and Smartglass that's both Sony/MS answer(or will be their supposed anwser) to the Wii U tablet; and besides I don't think it will be the tablet if the Wii U does become successful