By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anyone ever thought of this... maybe its a good thing Wii U had a rough first year?

Will the Wii U be a success?

yes 231 70.43%

no 97 29.57%

Total:328
zorg1000 said:
I think its a good thing but not for the reasons u gave. Having such a horrible beginning hopefully will let them know that they cant get away with having huge droughts and that people arent loyal to a brand but to quality games. Im glad they went thru it now and not when the competition is already out.

I agree with this as well. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
This assumes that the tablet will suddenly catch on, and Sony and MS will wish that they had one. It won't, and they won't.

Even if the Wii U mounts an unlikely 3DS style comeback, it will be down to games and not the controller. The tablet will probably be about as relevant as the 3DS' 3D, maybe slightly more.

Yep I am making an assumption. Games are what make the comeback possible But theres other factors. For one nintendo offers something not offered by anyone. Two, tablets are an appealing offer. And three, it holds the lowest price point including online. Maybe a comeback won't happen. Maybe it will. Either way, Wii U is gauranteed to not be rendered obsolete by a console that offers the same features. Let's be honest, Wii U would not maintain relevance if p4 included a tablet controller.

Out of interest do people realise the tablet can be used with the Wii remote as if its a tv. I played off screen Pikmin yesterday and accidentally pointed the remote at the pad and found I could play use the IR. Pretty neat.

OT: hope it does become a real, unique selling point. I think motion is not done yet and an hd Wii strategy with added DS has a lot of potential...

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Cobretti2 said:

I realise that but his whole argument is around IF IT SOLD WELL then ...... copy Just clarifying what he was trying to argue.

Arguing that the poor sales is a good thing for that reason is the issue here lol.

You get it. 

bazmeistergen said:

Out of interest do people realise the tablet can be used with the Wii remote as if its a tv. I played off screen Pikmin yesterday and accidentally pointed the remote at the pad and found I could play use the IR. Pretty neat.

OT: hope it does become a real, unique selling point. I think motion is not done yet and an hd Wii strategy with added DS has a lot of potential...

I had no idea about that.. I wonder what else we don't know?

Around the Network
snyps said:

If Wii U had been a smash success, like wii, sony and ms would obviously have put more focus and development into their own tablet controller, right? Lets face it, vita remote is no where near the same as gamepad. Vita remote can't act as a second screen, it only mimicks the offscreen feature. And smart glass is not an xbox controller.

So if Nintendo turns the Wii U around, they will be the only ones with a true tablet controller with 100% attach rate. So if and when the competition tries to copy like they did the wii remote with move and kinect, they will still be behind.

What are your thoughts? Btw im not suggesting this was the plan all along. Do you think the fact that sony and ms didn't copy Nintendo's tablet strategy could help the house that Mario built?

First I will say that I think that the Wii u will eventually be a success once all three systems are on the market, Nintendo gives it a small price drop, and the line up of games they talked about are released. I don't agree with you about the Vita though. The PSVitaS4 combo has potential way beyond that of the wii u's tablet. The problem and as such in the case of the wii u tablet, but more so for the psvita/ps4 combo is that Sony has done anything to really show that off to the consumer and is still failing to release a packaged deal (which would sell very well to early adopters who tend to be more hardcore gamers).  I do agree by the 100% attach rate though. Sony has created some strong fire power in its device and accessories, but I think that it is not following through on them. I mean the PS4 camera is already in danger of becoming looked over by many, which is sad considering how powerful it actually is contrary to what "fanboys" might say. 

"I support the industry that's why I rock with all of the Big 3!"

A) For the umpteen-thousandth time, the GamePad in no way is a "tablet" controller. If it was, it would literally have zero buttons or other interface options OTHER than touch-screen. That is literally what a tablet is.

B). The PS4 using the Vita, and the Xbox One using "Smartglass", were never viable competition for the GamePad concept in the first place. The GamePad, as stated, is a REGULAR GAME CONTROLLER, that happens to have a nice, large touch screen in the middle of it. It comes packed with the console, it is THE controller for the console. Not everyone has a Vita, and not everyone has a smart phone cable of running "Smartglass". Both cost hundreds of extra dollars in addition to the cost of those new consoles. With Wii U, you get touch screen/second screen/off-tv play functionality, RIGHT out of the box, for no additional charge outside of the system cost itself.

So really, no, I don't think that it's a "good thing" that Wii U has struggled in it's first year so far. I absolutely think it will recover and succeed. Nintendo has been in this game longer than anyone else, and they're not stupid. They fucked up for sure, but they also know how to fix things.

Majority of Xbox and PlayStation fan boys would say yes. Not because there is anything good about it, but because they want people to buy the other consoles. By the way you guys still do console gaming. I don't know anyone who still does where I live. All the kids here play with tablets. Correction there is one family with a wii.

Love is whats most important.

DevilRising said:
A) For the umpteen-thousandth time, the GamePad in no way is a "tablet" controller. If it was, it would literally have zero buttons or other interface options OTHER than touch-screen. That is literally what a tablet is.

B). The PS4 using the Vita, and the Xbox One using "Smartglass", were never viable competition for the GamePad concept in the first place. The GamePad, as stated, is a REGULAR GAME CONTROLLER, that happens to have a nice, large touch screen in the middle of it. It comes packed with the console, it is THE controller for the console. Not everyone has a Vita, and not everyone has a smart phone cable of running "Smartglass". Both cost hundreds of extra dollars in addition to the cost of those new consoles. With Wii U, you get touch screen/second screen/off-tv play functionality, RIGHT out of the box, for no additional charge outside of the system cost itself.

So really, no, I don't think that it's a "good thing" that Wii U has struggled in it's first year so far. I absolutely think it will recover and succeed. Nintendo has been in this game longer than anyone else, and they're not stupid. They fucked up for sure, but they also know how to fix things.

I get what you're saying. I do however consider the gamepad a tablet-controller hybrid. Also, I agree Nintendo knows they fucked up. I mean to suggest that there is a silver lining. Let's assume an alternate universe situation. Let's pretend the Wii U delivered the Wii Sports equivalent that shows the marketability of a gamepad and caused 5 million units to sell in the first quarter. This is unquestionably what all of us fans wish happened. I'm here to point out that sony and ms would obviously create their own version of the gamepad to cash in. The Wii U's head start and success would be worth it, I get that. But in this alternate situation, x1 and p4 would offer every feature the Wii U offered plus more.

Back to our current situation now. We have a consolation prize. We didn't get the big numbers, but we got a system that's unique (uncopied). It brings with it a feature only found on Nintendo. That's not a bad thing. Rather that's a good thing.

I just love how the Wii U gets no credit as the first console that has a universal remote in the box. That's f***ing brilliant.