By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anyone ever thought of this... maybe its a good thing Wii U had a rough first year?

Will the Wii U be a success?

yes 231 70.43%

no 97 29.57%

Total:328
happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

there are some genres that work better with motion and the like like the FPS genre. Now name me a genre that can ONLY work with motion controls. I cant play Street FIghter with motion controls, at all. People can choose to play a retro game, you choose you play graphics you cant use graphics.

With controls it's not upwards or downwards like it is with graphics. With controls, some games can only be done with motion controls, some can only be done with trad controls (and by only, I mean awkwardly if tried with the wrong one). Example, Skyward sword would be silly with trad controls, so would trauma center and Wii Sports resort. Conversely, games like Street fighter would be so bad with motion controls. With graphics, most things can be done in 3D. So I guess you're right in saying that 3D graphics improvements is an upward street, but it doesn't change the fact that some people stick to retro, that doesn't make it better. (my argument against trad controls being the epitome of greatness)

thats all i was trying to say. and yes some people will stick to retro just like some wont touch a motion control game with a pole

Around the Network
snyps said:
DevilRising said:
A) For the umpteen-thousandth time, the GamePad in no way is a "tablet" controller. If it was, it would literally have zero buttons or other interface options OTHER than touch-screen. That is literally what a tablet is.

B). The PS4 using the Vita, and the Xbox One using "Smartglass", were never viable competition for the GamePad concept in the first place. The GamePad, as stated, is a REGULAR GAME CONTROLLER, that happens to have a nice, large touch screen in the middle of it. It comes packed with the console, it is THE controller for the console. Not everyone has a Vita, and not everyone has a smart phone cable of running "Smartglass". Both cost hundreds of extra dollars in addition to the cost of those new consoles. With Wii U, you get touch screen/second screen/off-tv play functionality, RIGHT out of the box, for no additional charge outside of the system cost itself.

So really, no, I don't think that it's a "good thing" that Wii U has struggled in it's first year so far. I absolutely think it will recover and succeed. Nintendo has been in this game longer than anyone else, and they're not stupid. They fucked up for sure, but they also know how to fix things.

I get what you're saying. I do however consider the gamepad a tablet-controller hybrid. Also, I agree Nintendo knows they fucked up. I mean to suggest that there is a silver lining. Let's assume an alternate universe situation. Let's pretend the Wii U delivered the Wii Sports equivalent that shows the marketability of a gamepad and caused 5 million units to sell in the first quarter. This is unquestionably what all of us fans wish happened. I'm here to point out that sony and ms would obviously create their own version of the gamepad to cash in. The Wii U's head start and success would be worth it, I get that. But in this alternate situation, x1 and p4 would offer every feature the Wii U offered plus more.

Back to our current situation now. We have a consolation prize. We didn't get the big numbers, but we got a system that's unique (uncopied). It brings with it a feature only found on Nintendo. That's not a bad thing. Rather that's a good thing.

Its not a good thing either, because the feature is one that few really care about.

Multishanks said:
I just love how the Wii U gets no credit as the first console that has a universal remote in the box. That's f***ing brilliant.

it could be as brilliant as possible if people dont care about it, it matters little. 

Just like SOny got no credit for putting out a motion device for a gaming system first.

bazmeistergen said:

Out of interest do people realise the tablet can be used with the Wii remote as if its a tv. I played off screen Pikmin yesterday and accidentally pointed the remote at the pad and found I could play use the IR. Pretty neat.

OT: hope it does become a real, unique selling point. I think motion is not done yet and an hd Wii strategy with added DS has a lot of potential...

I personally think thats badass, but isnt it a little redundant? why aim at such a small screen? wouldnt it just be easier to use your TV? is the game Wiimote compatible?

Otakumegane said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Otakumegane said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Exactly. This is what Happy isnt getting.

For a moment there, Nintendo forgot that hardware design is best served promoting their 1st party titles.

The conflict between Iwata's apparent need to get 3rd parties on board who like standard, relatively unchaging hardware and Nintendo's own visions of having a new hardware revolution for the benefit of their 1st party titles is what's screwing them over right now. 

Sometimes I just wish that Nintendo just focuses on making a console a full 1st party powerhouse. That's what brought 3rd party support to the 3DS eventually.

In terms of tactics that makes complete sense, but at the same time third parties never respected the Wii. They saw it as a gimmicky cash grab and went in like wolves. The thing about Nintendo though is they dont realize without major gimmicks their best sales in their heyday was with third parties draped around their first party no different than what Sony and MS are doing today. The difference is Sony added greater multimedia and greater capabilties to the mix, whilst MS a generation later added proper online.

And look what happened to them over the course of the 7th gen. EA and the like missed out of some major profit.

It's a problem on both sides. I mean just look at the 3DS now that Japan really doesn't have a choice anymore (SE still mobiling along). 3rd party software sells pretty damn finely.

Like Ubisoft's success with Just Dance, and SEGA's sonic games, 3rd parties should have been more aware of the Nintendo audience and at the same time, Nintendo should have tried to foster their own audience for 3rd party software, through either making titles that would bring some of that audience, or 3rd party exclusives like the Platinum deal. (though that came as the horrendously the wrong time, and with the wrong company. If anything most 3rd parties will look at 101's numbers and use that to prove that 3rd party doesn't sell.)

Most of what I'm saying is regurgitation at this point though. We've heard it all too many times.

this is wrong, third parties were VERY aware of the audience, just go to any store and look on the shelves and what will you see? dance, fitness, minigames, more dancing and even more damn minigames, it sure as hell wasnt Ninty making all those games. Look at the PS360 section. Wont find barely any of those, and the Kinect and Move sections shoved in some corner. 3rd parties knew EXACTLY what the audience wanted and made games accordingly, problem was some people dont like those and thats what most of the system got.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
snyps said:

I get what you're saying. I do however consider the gamepad a tablet-controller hybrid. Also, I agree Nintendo knows they fucked up. I mean to suggest that there is a silver lining. Let's assume an alternate universe situation. Let's pretend the Wii U delivered the Wii Sports equivalent that shows the marketability of a gamepad and caused 5 million units to sell in the first quarter. This is unquestionably what all of us fans wish happened. I'm here to point out that sony and ms would obviously create their own version of the gamepad to cash in. The Wii U's head start and success would be worth it, I get that. But in this alternate situation, x1 and p4 would offer every feature the Wii U offered plus more.

Back to our current situation now. We have a consolation prize. We didn't get the big numbers, but we got a system that's unique (uncopied). It brings with it a feature only found on Nintendo. That's not a bad thing. Rather that's a good thing.

Its not a good thing either, because the feature is one that few really care about.

You're wrong. Touchscreen controller's are the future of gaming. The masses haven't realized it yet. When the right app comes they will. We all know it's true. Because, unlike the wii remote, the touchscreen doesn't interfere with normal dual analog controller functions. The touchscreen adds, it doesn't subtract. It builds on a solid foundation and will never disappear.

It's a good thing because they've evolved while others are stagnant in that regard. And for me the right application that shows off the need of a touch screen is already here. I'm talking about the navigation of the OS, web interface, menu systems, and the universal remote. Xbox one is attempting to solve this navigation dilemma by adding voice recognition and hand gestures. Kudos to them. Sony is adding a touch pad. Seriously, their attempts FAIL in comparison to touchscreen navigation. Nothing is simpler.

The Wii U struggling is good in the sense that it may force them to abandon nonsense like casual gaming. Maybe we'll get a console that competes, power wise, with the competition like the NES,SNES, N64 and Gamecube. Maybe we'll get a regular controller and innovative games like OOT and the original games on NES.

Looks like i will look like a wiiU hater... IMO, the wiiU will sell the same as the Gamecube if not worse over its lifetime. Yes, Nintendo will make some money, but 3rd parties won't and won't support it over the long haul(or apparently the short haul as of today). The Wii always seemed like a fad(because of the "gimmick" contollers as many seem to be calling it). The real problem for the wiiU is that it if you take away it's unique controller pad, it seems like it is an equivalent to the PS3/360. So, if you aren't a Nintendo fanboy or core gamer, what is it offering? Nothing that hasn't been around since 2006 when the 360 launched. That's the reason that it hasn't exploded in sales(it doesn't help that it doesn't have a killer software title either). That will be the reason that the PS4 will probably do well, but no great with consumers outside of the core gaming community. It too is not giving them a reason to buy if they already have a PS3/360. Sure the core gamers will jump on it for the expanded game sizes and better graphics, but what about the casuals? Neither the wiiU or the PS4 have anything different than they already provide. I would like to say that the XBone is going to, but until they show a game that can bring in the casuals, they could be in the same boat. But, at least the XBone has a commercial selling strategy that can be used outside of the core gaming community. Who knows if it will work, but there is a chance. I thought a year ago, that Nintendo might have had a chance with the tablet interface, but obviously it didn't work for obvious reasons. The next 3 months will tell if Sony and M$ can show the greater public a reason to continue to support gaming consoles at all.

snyps said:
oniyide said:
snyps said:

You're wrong. Touchscreen controller's are the future of gaming. The masses haven't realized it yet. When the right app comes they will. We all know it's true. Because, unlike the wii remote, the touchscreen doesn't interfere with normal dual analog controller functions. The touchscreen adds, it doesn't subtract. It builds on a solid foundation and will never disappear.

It's a good thing because they've evolved while others are stagnant in that regard. And for me the right application that shows off the need of a touch screen is already here. I'm talking about the navigation of the OS, web interface, menu systems, and the universal remote. Xbox one is attempting to solve this navigation dilemma by adding voice recognition and hand gestures. Kudos to them. Sony is adding a touch pad. Seriously, their attempts FAIL in comparison to touchscreen navigation. Nothing is simpler.

Future if you say so. Masses havent realized it? Just like they havent realized with the 3d in 3ds? still waiting for that. THe touchscreen does add, but you can only use one controller per system so it some ways it subtracts, they could always rectify this. It wont disappear just like motion controls didnt. doesnt mean it wont be put on back burner.

You keep waiting for the right app though, there is nothing coming out at least this year that is going to show it off to the masses. Nothing that Ninty has comng soon even uses the tablet alot.

oniyide said:
snyps said:
oniyide said:
snyps said:

Future if you say so. Masses havent realized it? Just like they havent realized with the 3d in 3ds? still waiting for that. THe touchscreen does add, but you can only use one controller per system so it some ways it subtracts, they could always rectify this. It wont disappear just like motion controls didnt. doesnt mean it wont be put on back burner.

You keep waiting for the right app though, there is nothing coming out at least this year that is going to show it off to the masses. Nothing that Ninty has comng soon even uses the tablet alot.

Have you played Pikmin 3:
The Wonderful 101
Donkey Kong CR: Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
Sonic Lost World
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Yoshi's New Island or
Monolith's X ????

If not, aren't you negatively speculating? It's not the sme as 3D in 3ds. One is a functional enhancement for simplifying a user experience. I know what you meant by that and I understand the connection. Clearly the 3Ds is kicking butt so it's doing something right. On top of a game library and a cheap price, it offer's a feature only found on Nintendo.