By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Fish gets butthurt.. cancels FEZ II - Update: Leaves games industry

FTW

Team Beer 240 65.04%

Team Fish 126 34.15%

Total:366

Can we get a third option on the poll? Both of these guys are tools. Fish is the bigger tool, but that doesn't excuse Beer's behavior.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
pokoko said:
JayWood2010 said:
pokoko said:

It's not a good comment, it's nothing but a massive generalization.  Ten good releases over a generation?  An opinion, yeah, but one I completely and totally disagree with.  I wouldn't trade Torchlight, AudioSurf, World of Goo, Trine, Deponia, or Machinarium for most of the "AAA" titles out there.  I don't give a rat's ass how much it cost to make, I only care if it's good or not.

I was more so agreeing with his comments towards Phil.  But for Indie developers to suddenly act like this is childish.  Ive had a lot of fun with indie games this generation but FEZ and Braid are not ground breaking titles is what I am trying to say.  We have had better indie games and far more successful ones at that.  Yet they dont go around with some huge ego critisizing everybody.  

WHile both of them can be considered good or some of the best that doesnt mean they should go around acting like jerks either.

These two indie developers are making indie developers look bad in my opinion.  Espcecially when the majority is not that special in the first place.

Then he should only criticize those two people.  They hardly represent all small developers.  The very idea is ridiculous.  Mass generalization based on a few people is never an intelligent thing.

The major of indie developers aren't anything special?  True, but neither are the majority of large developers, either.  That fact does absolutely nothing to wipe out the ones who ARE special.  I'd feel like a fool if I wished the dozens of excellent indie developers would go away just because a couple of guys insulted Microsoft.

Am i criticizing every indie developer?  No, Im criticizing Phil and Blow for being jerks while other indie developers are doing a good job and keeping their mouths shut.

You are reading way out of the lines on my comments and are assuming things.  When Phil Phish called everybody nerds on a public service was when i lost all respect for him.  

Don't assume so much there buddy when I have praised plenty of indie titles on this website

dafuk did i just read o.O

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

pokoko said:
JayWood2010 said:
pokoko said:

Then he should only criticize those two people.  They hardly represent all small developers.  The very idea is ridiculous.  Mass generalization based on a few people is never an intelligent thing.

The major of indie developers aren't anything special?  True, but neither are the majority of large developers, either.  That fact does absolutely nothing to wipe out the ones who ARE special.  I'd feel like a fool if I wished the dozens of excellent indie developers would go away just because a couple of guys insulted Microsoft.

Am i criticizing every indie developer?  No, Im criticizing Phil and Blow for being jerks while other indie developers are doing a good job and keeping their mouths shut.

You are reading way out of the lines on my comments and are assuming things.  When Phil Phish called everybody nerds on a public service was when i lost all respect for him.

Doing a good job and keeping their mouths shut?  Seriously?  So small developers aren't allowed to speak out?  They have to just take it?  Seriously, what the hell?  Damn, man.  I think out opinions here are going to be WAY WAY FAR apart, as I think they have just as much right to voice their opinions as you.  

Let me ask, have you agreed with Phil Fish's recent statements?  

It is one thing to speak out about policies and say hey we need to make changes, but it is a completely different thing when you go around the industry and say "Hey, japanese developers suck, my game is awesome."  Or "my game is already #1 on steam, boycott harder nerds" and plenty of other childish things this man has said.

Yes he needs to keep his mouth shut.  If he disagrees with policies then express it but his way of doing it has been unprofessional while acting like his one game is the greatest thing to grace the earth.

Shinobi-san said:
JayWood2010 said:
pokoko said:
JayWood2010 said:

Don't assume so much there buddy when I have praised plenty of indie titles on this website

dafuk did i just read o.O

As in they dont act like jerks, criticize everybody, and constantly show the world childish behavior.

Conegamer said:
I really don't know what to say. Beer shouldn't have said it, Fish shouldn't have overreacted. Cancelling a game after all that work and, more importantly, money just because of one man on one small site is a massive mistake, to put it nicely.

Actually, you know, I just had a look at Polytron's website and it's kind of understandable.  The comments are sickening.

rofl Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:23

Get lost you waste of talent. Shitbag telling others to kill themselves, you dont deserve your fame, money or attention.
Badger Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:23

So no 360 patch then I guess.
Bob Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:24

Good. I hope that you never come back
Fish-a-filet Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:24

I would be sad if this was a good game. Fez is not a good game. I am happy a hack such as you gave up on releasing your next abomination.
Ugh Non Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:25

You are an embarrassment.
Lola Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:25

Good news. Stop making games please.
Trent Peacock Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:26

Typical Quebecor: Take the money and run, who cares about obligation.
Phillip Poisson Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:27

Why not pull Fez from steam while you’re at it? Or is this another stunt to try and get a few more sales for your pretentious little game?
Adoll Knitler Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:27

Suck my dick, choke on it.
Happy you're leaving. Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:28

So the face of indie gaming is a blubbering idiot who can’t deal with criticism.
Jon Says:

Good, Fez was shit, who would want more of that shit?
Aye Nawn Says:

$10 says the douche comes back in 6 months trying to release his terrible game again.

Naw guys, I just needed time to get my head together. I’m significantly less of a douche now.
Rektus Erectus Says:

http://www.kotaku.com/fex-II-to-flip-between-cancelled-and-greenlighted
Nojustice4trayvon Says:

Where’s that straight white male privilege when you need it the most, Fish?

Maybe you should stop beating women.
Oscar, the fish Says:

Grow a thicker skin and a pair, buddy. Do not go back on the cancellation however, mankind ill needs garbage games such as this.
Neil L Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:29

Thats to bad, i know this industry can be, well, mean. i dont blame you for cancelling the game, people should give you a little break. everybody has their flaws, your not perfect, but im not either, along with everybody else who has hated on you in the past. I just want to thank you, for the first game, fez, it was a marvelous experience that i will treasure for the rest of my life.
Lenny, the great white shark Says:

“Suck on my dick, choke on it”
swagnigga69 Says:

THANK YOU BASED GOD
Chrom of Ylisse Says:

Dear Phil,
Suck our collective dicks. Choke on them.
-Love, everybody
Ballin' Says:

Great! This is way more fun than whatever pretentious hipster bullshit “art” game you were going to do
Golden Show Says:
July 27th, 2013 at 16:30

You’re game was shit anyway, where was the shooting and gore?
FuckFish Says:

Wow you’re a whiney teeny weeny baby bitch boy. Grow a pair.
Liaym Says:

I really enjoyed FEZ, but I can’t stand Phil Fish, he deserves all the hate because he acted like such a fucking dick, not sure how I feel about this news since I would have enjoyed a sequel
SomeRedhead Says:

Godmode and Noclip sure would come in handy in a time like this, I play the world’s smallest violin for the poor little white boy being bullied on twitter ;_;
The Fourth Doctor Says:

Compare your life to mine, then kill yourself.
Assbandit Says:

good

fuck off.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
marcus beer is a fucking idiot too, he started the insults .

this industry is pathetic specialy the " gaming journalists ".

It mroe or less started when Fish and Blow basically attacked the integrity of the gaming media. Justified, but hardly respectful.

Marcus called them out on the hypocrisy of relying on the media to help promote their games, while at the same time publically attacking that media for its integrity. Justified, but hardly respectful.

If you want to criticize Beer over this, it's not a strong case. He was on an editorial-style discussion show that bills itself on outspoken personalities. It's like criticizing Playboy for being racy; that's what people are there for.

Xxain said:
Why is it beers business on whether Fish has comment on MS policies?

Because that wasn't his problem. His problem was Fish getting on twitter and criticizing people for asking him about it.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

JayWood2010 said:
pokoko said:

Doing a good job and keeping their mouths shut?  Seriously?  So small developers aren't allowed to speak out?  They have to just take it?  Seriously, what the hell?  Damn, man.  I think out opinions here are going to be WAY WAY FAR apart, as I think they have just as much right to voice their opinions as you.  

It is one thing to speak out about policies and say hey we need to make changes, but it is a completely different thing when you go around the industry and say "Hey, japanese developers suck, my game is awesome."  Or "my game is already #1 on steam, boycott harder nerds" and plenty of other childish things this man has said.

Yes he needs to keep his mouth shut.  If he disagrees with policies then express it but his way of doing it has been unprofessional while acting like his one game is the greatest thing to grace the earth.

No, I don't agree with those things and I don't like the guy at all.  I'm not sure why you're trying to turn the conversation toward him, though, as my original comment was about why generalizations are ignorant.  

Shinobi-san said:
pokoko said:
JayWood2010 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I made this comment on N4G two days ago:

It is time for indie devleopers to be quite once for all.
Let's face it, 98% of indie games are trash. They don't deserve the slightest attention, let alone a pricetag above "free".

Somehow these nerds became so freaking vocal over the past years. It was MS with XBLA that gave them the chance to be on consoles. I loved the split between XBLA and XBLIG. The user knew right from the start where the potential really is. XBLA offered some cool experiences that got the attention they deserved. (State of Decay is awesome, go and buy it now!)

But something like 10 releases over a generation that almost took a decade to end, there is not much the indies brought up that was worth my time. Limbo, Braid, Super Meat Boy, Trials,  Castle Crashers, Journey, Minecraft and yeah... that was it. Maybe I forgot one or two titles though.

Suddenly these indie "designers" (not even developers! I am looking at you Jonathan Blow) come up and want to have influence on the hardware design of the console. Who do they think they are? Their best selling games sell somewhere in the 200k - 500k region for $10 and those are celebrated like oh so successful titles. On the other hand retail releases selling 800k for $60 are called out for lackluster sales.

Jonathan Blow made one (in numbers: 1) game. Braid. And that was 5 years ago. Since then he talked so much nonsense about stuff he has no clue about. And that is just one example.

Look Phil Fish (The FEZ-guy) saying "your games suck" to Japanese developers. This guy is just embarrissing.

And those guys want to have an influence for a hardware that costs Sony and MS BILLIONS in R&D? They are living in an ecosystem Microsoft and Sony created ffs. They should be THANKFUL to release their games on these platforms.

IF you believe in your game, you should not worry that it won't stick out of the masses of indie games. It is a competitive market for everyone in this industry. Mobile developers, indie developers, major AAA developers, console manufacturers - why should indie games get another treatment?

I could go on and on, but I got to work.

Good comment.  I also want to add that Braid and FEZ are not even one of the top sellers for  XBLA/PSN.  I know Braid and FEZ sold well on XBLA but not nearly as well as games such as Castle Crashers, Trials, State of Decay, Limbo, and Minecraft.  Those developers dont go around criticizing companies and other developers either and they made more successful title in the same market.

Though I will say i did enjoy Braid.  But not in my top indie games either.

It's not a good comment, it's nothing but a massive generalization.  Ten good releases over a generation?  An opinion, yeah, but one I completely and totally disagree with.  I wouldn't trade Torchlight, AudioSurf, World of Goo, Trine, Deponia, or Machinarium for most of the "AAA" titles out there.  I don't give a rat's ass how much it cost to make, I only care if it's good or not.

That comment was better left at a place like N4G.

To say that 98% of indie games are trash is crazy. Not only is the worth of a game specific to the player but that figure was pulled straight out of hes ass.

you never visited  XBLIG, did you?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

pokoko said:
JayWood2010 said:
pokoko said:

No, I don't agree with those things and I don't like the guy at all.  I'm not sure why you're trying to turn the conversation toward him, though, as my original comment was about why generalizations are ignorant.  

Yes generalizing is ignorant.  Im not generalizing.  Im talking about Phil and Blow specificly (Mostly Phil).  I explained this and then you assumed more. Dont know what else to tell you other than that.

pokoko said:

Actually, you know, I just had a look at Polytron's website and it's kind of understandable.  The comments are sickening.

Well Phil has his own history of nice tweets:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)