By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which games were the greatest graphical achievements relative to the hardware they were running on?

curl-6 said:
Cubedramirez said:
I have to change the choice, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II is the best graphic showcase any system could wish for. Considering it was a launch title makes it even more of an amazing feat.

Yeah, RS2 was absolutely jaw-dropping back in 2001, there wasn't a better looking game on the planet.

I remember seeing it on a TV in a game shop and thinking, "that has to be pre-rendered, there's no way that little box is generating that!"

The sequel, however, pushed the system even further.

RS3 was indeed awesome in terms of overall graphics. I enjoyed the expanded level depth, water effects, shadows and higher polygon count on ships. 
But (and there always is a but) RS2 was a launch title. New system, new code, and all the new ideas they had were still tainted with the restraints of the previous generation. The leap from the n64/PSX generation to the GameCube was so mind blowing that like you, I questioned what I was seeing was even possible, much less real from a video game.

Till this day, I remember going to the Mall of America to play the GameCube for the first time during a Nintendo event. They had a Kobe NBA game which looked nice, but nothing mind blowing and some other titles but what caught my eye was a blacked off test area with a line of people. I saw the sign say RS2 (actually spelled out) and eagerly awaited to see a ps2 level fuzzy visual update to RS1, which still to me would have been awesome. 

A extremely nice looking young lady led me and a friend in and said enjoy. What followed was so god damn amazing, not a single sound came from either of our mouths. The detail, the sound, the effects, the scope, and the fluid feel of holding the GameCube controller while playing that game. We walked out of that area, got back in line and played it again, and then left. The entire walk back home we would not shut up about what we thought the rest of the game would be like. 

Nothing has had that much of an impact on me since then in terms of being blown away. You are right, no other game on the planet came close to looking as good as RS2 and in my opinion, and nothing approached that level until Gears of War. But again, these are just opinions. 

Around the Network
attaboy said:

Nes: Castlevania III
Gameboy: Gargoyle's Quest
Genesis: Virtua Racing
Snes: Starfox
Playstation: Quake II or Crash Team Racing OR Crash Bandicoot 3
N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day
Playstation 2: God of War 2 or MGS3
Gamecube: Starfox Adventures or Rogue Squadron III
Xbox: Chronicles of Riddick
Xbox 360: Tomb Raider 2013
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Playstation 3: Uncharted 3 or God of War 3

*edit*: RE4 on Gamecube and toss in a serving of Ecco or DoA2 on Sega Dreamcast

Great choices, but I'm gonna make a few edits!

Nes: Super Mario 3

Genesis: Vectorman
I wouldn't consider Virtua Racing simply because the cart had a chip likely for superior performance.

Snes: Donkey Kong Country
Starfox had the Super FX chip so I wouldn't consider it because its not just using the SNES specs. I was going to say Yoshi's Island had the best visuals, but I found out that game is using a Super FX chip as well.

Saturn: Virtua Fighter 2

Playstation: Quake II
I didn't even know the PS1 was capable of those visuals.

N64: Goldeneye
I give this game an edge because it ran smooth frame rate and even had 4 player split screen. Turok 3 looked very impressive from my memory but I didn't play it enough to have an opinion.

Dreamcast: Shenmue 2

Playstation 2: God of War 2
MGS3 had great looking character models. But GoW2 was more visually stunning and had very detailed environments.

Gamecube: Mario Sunshine
I feel this holds up the best.

Xbox: Chronicles of Riddick

Xbox 360: Halo 4

Playstation 3: Uncharted 3

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

NES-Ninja Gaiden 3

Genesis-Vector Man

SNES-Star Fox and DKC (tie)

PS-FF9

N64-Perfect Dark

DC-Shenmue, Ecco The Dolphin DOTF (tie)

PS2-SOC

GC-Star Wars RS

Xbox-Splinter Cell 1

Xbox 360-Halo 4

PS3-Uncharted 2

Wii-Metroid Prime 3, Galaxy 2 (tie)

NES - Kirby's Adventure
GB - Wario Land
SNES - Super Metroid, or Demon's Crest. Yoshi's Island deserves a vote as well.
Genesis - Golden Axe 3, or Sonic 3/Knuckles
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Zwei
PS1 - I suppose Metal Gear Solid
N64 - Banjo Kazooie 1, or Ocarina of Time. Perfect Dark is an obvious choice as well, as would be Turok 2.
Dreamcast - Honestly, Soul Caliber.
GBA - Metroid: Zero Mission
GC - Zelda: Twilight Princess, hands down.
PS2 - Shadow of the Colossus
Wii - Super Mario Galaxy
DS - Don't know really. Maybe, for it's time, the original NSMB.
PS3 - Couldn't honestly say.
Wii U - Far too early to tell. Thus far, Pikmin 3 is a pretty damn solid vote early in.

N64: Conker Bad Fur Day, Donkey Kong64
GC: Twilight Princess, Star Fox Adventure, Metroid Prime1/2
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy series, Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country
Ps3: The Last of Us, Final Fantasy 13(at the time of launch)

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Around the Network

all of the final fantasy's and the legend of dragoon on the original playstation 4 discs!!!! are you kidding me way back in 1997 final fantasy 7 was 1.3 GB's that is stunning. 8 and 9 were like 1.7 GB and 1.8 GB I think 8 being the biggest. Each game requiring not only more then one disc but 4 tells the whole story of pushing a system. Of course donkey kong 64 it literally needed a ram expansion pack for the memory it was so big. Elder scrolls 3 Morrowind for the xbox

Metrium said:

Skyward Sword pushed the Wii hardware the furthest? Really? 

I'd say there's plenty of games that pushed it harder.

NES - Ninja Gaiden
SNES - StarFox, Donkey Kong Country
Genesis - Vectorman, Comic Zone
Game Boy - Super Mario Land 2, Pokemon
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter 2
PlayStation - One of the Final Fantasies
N64 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Conker's Bad Fur Day
Gameboy Color - Quest RPG: Brian's Journey
Dreamcast - Shenmue, Soul Calibur 2, Dead or Alive 2
PS2 - One of the Metal Gear Solids, can't remember which
Xbox - Halo 2, Dead or Alive 3
GC - Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Resident Evil 4
GBA - Golden Sun 1 & 2
360 - Not sure
PS3 - Not Sure
Wii - Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Xenoblade Chronicles

curl-6 said:
Metrium said:

Graphicaly, their is few things on the Wii that is more beautifull than flying above the clouds in that game.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Metrium said:
curl-6 said:
Metrium said:

Graphicaly, their is few things on the Wii that is more beautifull than flying above the clouds in that game.

From an artistic point of view I can see that, but didn't the OP say he meant pushing hardware?

Many games pushed Wii more than Skyward Sword technologically; the Galaxy games as you mentioned, Metroid Prime 3 and Other M, Conduit 1 & 2, Jett Rocket, COD MW3, Epic Mickey,Sonic Colours...