By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which games were the greatest graphical achievements relative to the hardware they were running on?

One more system:

PSP - Dissidia 012, Valkyria Chronicles 2, MGS: PW, Resistance Retribution

Around the Network

NES:
Batman 1 had better graphics (and better game overall) than the one on genesis, IMO.

N64:
Zelda Ocarina of Time, so much freedom and scope in this game.

Dreamcast:
Soul Calibur: Some friends used to PSX graphics thought it was CGI and couldn't believe it was in game. This game was a beast, more than Rogue Leader on gamecube. But mainly because of the really bad vaseline effect video cables Nintendo used to ship with their consoles.

PSP -> Birth by sleep

Gamecube -> RE4

PS2 -> FFXII, as it convinced me that PS3 was not necessary yet.

RenCutypoison said:
PSP -> Birth by sleep

Gamecube -> RE4

Oh, absolutely. How could I forget?

N64: Conker
Dreamcast: Shenmue 2
PS2: Shadow of the colussus
GC: F-zero GX
XB: Splinter cell - Chaos theory
Wii: Super mario galaxy 2
XB360: Halo 4
PS3: The last of us
WII U: Mario kart 8

Around the Network

Link's Awakening on GameBoy.

Besides the fact that I think it's one of the best games ever made, it's technically out of this world. I still can't believe this existed on GameBoy. The game is vast with many extras and even has a fairly elaborate story. It includes an endless array of completely different environments, characters, enemies, items and other objects all with their own unique sprites. There's a plethora of effects in those sprites and surroundings to liven up the experience and on top of that, this game has actual cutscenes! Real cutscenes, on GameBoy.

This game has so much, it puts it's 'big brother' on the SNES to shame when that game doesn't have most of those things. And the GameBoy beating the powerful Super Nintendo, that shouldn't have happened.

Michael-5 said:
kljesta64 said:

N64 Turok 2 Seeds of Evil,

GC Metroid Prime ,StarFox Advenures,SW Squadrom II and III

ahead of its time

The problem with Turok for N64 was that the draw distances were absurdly short..... Honestly the game was scary because when you heard a Raptor, you REALLY REALLY did not know where it was coming from.

most 3rd parties had that problem with N64 but one cant deny that Turok2 is graphicaly the best with or without the gamepak. level design is also incredible and "HUGE" levels no game had at that time. 20+hours of gameplay easily. IMO this game revolutionized the genre..even today its one of the biggest adn best first person shooters ever.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

I think it was amazing how stunning Heavenly Sword looked so early in the PS3's life.

I make videos that are sometimes funny I think?

Check out my Youtube gaming channel here!

Virtua Fighter 2 on the Sega Saturn. 640x480@60FPS. In 1995. Nothing for the PSX in its lifecycle with the entire videogame industry supporting it could get close to that. And most people say that the PSX was more powerful than the Saturn at 3D graphics.

Xen said:
RenCutypoison said:
PSP -> Birth by sleep

Gamecube -> RE4

Oh, absolutely. How could I forget?

Well, KH was never about technical showcasing. BTW you did say FFIX earlier, but weren't prerendered environnements already outdated on psx ?