By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What If Nintendo Sold Wii U For $250 w/o the Tablet?

Soundwave said:

Wii U - 32GB w/New Super Mario Bros. U bundled for $249.99 this holiday. Or heck maybe even $199.99 w/o a game bundled.

No tablet controller, bundled with a WM+ and a nunchaku.

Do you think it would help Wii U sales?

Would you be angry/upset? Or would you be happy as this could potientially drive Wii U sales to a wider audience at a lower price point? For those of you maybe interested in Mario 3D World or DKC: TF, would that get you to bite on the system?

Assuming you could still purchase the Wii U tablet seperately with say Nintendo Land bundled with it or something. And there would still be SKU with the tablet bundled.

This is a fine example of cutting off your arm to save your hand.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
BloodyRain said:
Isn't the main selling point of the wii u the tablet controller? Then again, it looks like most games don't utilize it in very good way anyways so why not.

microsoft, sony and MS seem to need to learn this the hard way, the main selling point of any gaming console is... well... the games. Sony learnt it with the PS3. nintendo should have learnt it with the 3DS, but now they are going through the EXACT same thing with the WiiU. and microsoft learnt it with their X1 reveal

did they? vita and ps4 say otherwise.

This feels like the "second analog stick" on 3DS debate. Such a major decision was set in stone once the console launched and every day that went by set it there moreso.

I do not see Nintendo ever losing their controller model on the Wii U.

Zero999 said:
bananaking21 said:
BloodyRain said:
Isn't the main selling point of the wii u the tablet controller? Then again, it looks like most games don't utilize it in very good way anyways so why not.

microsoft, sony and MS seem to need to learn this the hard way, the main selling point of any gaming console is... well... the games. Sony learnt it with the PS3. nintendo should have learnt it with the 3DS, but now they are going through the EXACT same thing with the WiiU. and microsoft learnt it with their X1 reveal

did they? vita and ps4 say otherwise.

since they are projecting less than 5 million for the PSV this year i think they know what they are getting into.

@bolded -now give me one good reason why i should take you seriously?

KylieDog said:
Augen said:
This feels like the "second analog stick" on 3DS debate. Such a major decision was set in stone once the console launched and every day that went by set it there moreso.

I do not see Nintendo ever losing their controller model on the Wii U.

Yeah but, circle pad pro...

My counter...

Around the Network

I think Nintendo would have a struggle pulling themselves out of the mess they would have if they just dropped the Gamepad. Even if it was only for a certain console bundle. They've gone to far in with it to just drop it.

With that said, they definitely need to drop the price.

I... this is... no....

I make videos that are sometimes funny I think?

Check out my Youtube gaming channel here!

I agree with this actually. The Gamepad is not resonating with the market at all. Former Wii owners are not confused morons. They know exactly what the Wii U is and what it isnt. I say drop the GP and add WM+ Wireless nunchuck and a Pro Controller. And for god sakes, bundle either NSMBU or DKC: TF.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Price drop should be mandatory but the GamePad is not one of the problems, heck it might be their best shot at a solution.

The Wii U's current controller model is a somewhat confusing mishmash of Nintendo trying to appeal to everyone and those that bough their previous Wii remotes rather then committing to any one style of play. This is really obvious in the way 1st party multiplayer games are structured and if they could manage to get at least 2 Gamepad's running on one Wii U, they would open the system up to much more interesting multiplayer options then they have now and firmly commits the system in a way that the Wiimote did to make it a truly unique console.

So if anything, they need more of the Gamepad to compete like the Wii did against the stronger consoles.

BossPuma said:

I thought you were saying that Nintendo should scrap the controller altogether. Still, the controller makes the console. Without it, we would have 3 generic next gen consoles with little differences.

The flaw in this argument is that Nintendo made it clear from Day One that they wanted the system to be very similar to rival consoles. They even cloned the 360's controller, and made portability a selling point. Anything to entice third-parties.