By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What If Nintendo Sold Wii U For $250 w/o the Tablet?

Wii U without a gamepad would be a typical console with no innovation whatsover. I was already pissed that Sony removed the PSCamera and now the PS4 looks like a beefed up PS3 (now that I think about it, the PS3 was a beefed up PS2, PS2 was a beefed up PS, etc), and that to me makes me lose the console's appeal for a while. that's why I'm not getting a PS4 until it's library gets more diverse, my PS3 can give me the same exprience so I don't know why i should upgrade anytime soon

Around the Network

Oh, God..

Well.. this is pretty obvious, but:
1 - The Gamepad is not a tablet. It´s a game controller
2 - The console is pointless without it. There´s no way you can play ZombiU, Lego City, Game & Wario, Nintendoland, Rayman Legends etc etc etc without it.

Now, it would be awesome if the Premium Pack included a Pro Controller. Keeping the current price of USD $349 for a console, two controllers and a game like ZombiU or Nintendoland seems a great deal.

Arius Dion said:

How much does the Upad really enhance a game? Off Tv Play? I can tell ya, the Wii mote really enhanced FPS/TPS. I don't even play FPS/TPS if it doesn't support the IR controls. If I ever buy a Wii U it wont be because of the Upad, but in spite of it. If COD Ghosts comes to Wii U and supports IR controls then it'd be on my list. 

The games I have my eye on are

DKC:TF

NSMBU

Batman AO/AC

COD BO/Ghosts

Mario Kart (maybe)

Smash Bros. (Prolly buy the system for this game alone)

All of these games can be played without the U Pad (a plus, but also makes you wonder why the Upad is there)

NSMBU is out since WiiU launch......

Still... the Gamepad may give players different ways to explore those games. It may not be entirely necessary, but it´s great to have options, and some consumers will consider that. Rayman Legends and Pikmin are great examples of games that have their experience enhanced by the use of it.

The same goes for the use of the Wiimote for FPS... many players simply can´t stand that. How frustrated would they be if those games couldn´t support pro controllers ?

giving players diverse options of interacting with their games seems positive to me. That´s why I think the Premium Pack should include a Pro Controller

Ninty in order to rock should sell the Nintendo Land bundle at 299€ and the basic at 249€...

With no games out there and no actual use of the controller ...The price Will make the difference..

Cleary397 said:
Uhh.... the Tablet controller is needed to navigate the interface, and removing it would make most games unplayable.

No.

Just.

No.

For all of these reasons, I agree.  Removal of the tablet would render all of the games that I have innovated new gameplay features with it (like Lego City Undercover) broken.  Miiverse would become a chore to communicate on rather than a pleasure.  Imagine waving the wiimote back and forth across the screen to navigate the alphabet rather than typing on the gamepad face keyboard with your stylus.  Apps like TVii would be completely broken, Wii U Street and Panorama would lose out as well.  No.  This would be a HUGE mistake.  Nintendo knows this.  It's why they didn't give the option for people to maybe buy a Wiimote for Gamecube just to try.  No, they released the entire Wii console to say, "You need to try this."  Same with you needing to experience the Wii U with the Gamepad.  Most of the people who don't see how much more accessible the gamepad makes gaming today haven't even bothered to try it before offering their opinion (not taking about the op by the way).  With all of the upcoming first party releases, I think it's premature to be having all these Wii failure threads out. 

Around the Network

So is this what it's come to now for the Wii U?

lol

Zero999 said:
bananaking21 said:
Zero999 said:
bananaking21 said:
BloodyRain said:
Isn't the main selling point of the wii u the tablet controller? Then again, it looks like most games don't utilize it in very good way anyways so why not.

microsoft, sony and MS seem to need to learn this the hard way, the main selling point of any gaming console is... well... the games. Sony learnt it with the PS3. nintendo should have learnt it with the 3DS, but now they are going through the EXACT same thing with the WiiU. and microsoft learnt it with their X1 reveal

did they? vita and ps4 say otherwise.

since they are projecting less than 5 million for the PSV this year i think they know what they are getting into.

@bolded -now give me one good reason why i should take you seriously?

ps4 library, like vita, looks like it's 80% of titles that are multiplatform with existing systems and the few exclusives aren't compelling. of course, we've yet to see how ps4 does but I wouldn't say "sony learnt it".

of course it looks like 80% of its titles are multiplatform, its getting proper thrid party support.  and as for launch window tittles there are enough exlusives, knack, driveclub, killzone, infamous, the order and we still have tons more to be announced. 140 games in its first year doesnt sound like "it doenst have many games" and 20 ecxlusives published by sony in its first year doesnt sound like "sony wont make games for the console"

Solid-Stark said:
But the Tablet controller is required for certain applications and to navigate the UI and OS.

Fix that with an update

i doubt the tablet cost $100 to make. I was thinking hmm idk $50-$70
the tablet has a resistive touchscreen thats not hd so that helps. i think they should not have had the nfc feature. it wastes money

bananaking21 said:
Zero999 said:
bananaking21 said:
Zero999 said:
bananaking21 said:
BloodyRain said:
Isn't the main selling point of the wii u the tablet controller? Then again, it looks like most games don't utilize it in very good way anyways so why not.

microsoft, sony and MS seem to need to learn this the hard way, the main selling point of any gaming console is... well... the games. Sony learnt it with the PS3. nintendo should have learnt it with the 3DS, but now they are going through the EXACT same thing with the WiiU. and microsoft learnt it with their X1 reveal

did they? vita and ps4 say otherwise.

since they are projecting less than 5 million for the PSV this year i think they know what they are getting into.

@bolded -now give me one good reason why i should take you seriously?

ps4 library, like vita, looks like it's 80% of titles that are multiplatform with existing systems and the few exclusives aren't compelling. of course, we've yet to see how ps4 does but I wouldn't say "sony learnt it".

of course it looks like 80% of its titles are multiplatform, its getting proper thrid party support.  and as for launch window tittles there are enough exlusives, knack, driveclub, killzone, infamous, the order and we still have tons more to be announced. 140 games in its first year doesnt sound like "it doenst have many games" and 20 ecxlusives published by sony in its first year doesnt sound like "sony wont make games for the console"

as I said, those exclusives aren't compelling enough. and 80% multis means there's not much of a resaon to buy it in the near future.

"140 games in its first year doesnt sound like "it doenst have many games" I don't recall saying it would have few games, just that most of those "many" can be found on platforms people already have.

"20 exclusives published by sony in its first year doesnt sound like "sony wont make games for the console""  Again, I don't recall saying that sony won't make games for the console, the exclusives for the first months are not good enough and the ones for mid/late 2014 are dubious and far away.