By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Media Create, Famitsu & Dengeki - Week 28 ( July 8 - July 14 )

@Turkish Lol your bias is hilarious. WiiU didn't have a price cut thrown in as well lol. Vita is an handheld struggling in a country that loves handhelds lol, have you seen how the other handheld is performing? WiiU is tracking launch aligned above Vita and PS3 with a drought.

Around the Network

Tracking above them in Japan I meant.

TruckOSaurus said:
milkyjoe said:

This is why I miss the times where we all had access to the graph tools on VGC. Thanks for this graph.

Ain't that the truth.  It's why i hardly ever participate in sales discussion anymore, because without the concrete numbers you often just end up trading on bias or other peoples assumptions.

To be fair though, I think people forget just how disasterously bad Playstation 3's launch was.  It was like Dreamcast level.

MDMAlliance said:
Yakuzaice said:
Conegamer said:

True, but that is MH, a series which sells in the millions. Pikmin sells in the 200-300k range. It was never going to produce numbers like 500k SW/100k HW. If you take it for a average selling game boosting HW by such an amount, it is promising for the likes of Zelda, Mario, DK etc.

Pikmin has quite literally never sold in that range.  At least from Famitsu numbers.  Pikmin 1 was 500k, 2 was 470k.  While the Wii remakes were both below your range with 171k and 148k.

I would say that the 200-300k range was just an estimate on his part.  Either way, the point still stands that Pikmin is a much smaller series than MH.

Yes Monster Hunter is a bigger serie but it is not huge in  a Microsoft console.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Kasz216 said:

Ain't that the truth.  It's why i hardly ever participate in sales discussion anymore, because without the concrete numbers you often just end up trading on bias or other peoples assumptions.

To be fair though, I think people forget just how disasterously bad Playstation 3's launch was.  It was like Dreamcast level.

People have very short memory.

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
archbrix said:
Has the WiiU had a price drop in Japan yet? I believe during the Vita's big week of over 60k it was a combo of Soul Sacrifice and a price reduction. Plus, there's the HHs vs console comparison in Japan as well.

Point being that these numbers seem fine to me; nothing extraordinay but good nonetheless. If Nintendo can keep some momentum with W101, WWHD, DKC and Mario this holiday then WiiU is far from "over".

If by 'keep momentum' you mean sales dropping back to their usual Vita 2012 levels for the next few months until either DK or Mario hits, then sure. 

No, by "keep momentum" I mean not having sustained sales as bad as they have been weeks prior...

MDMAlliance said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Is it just me or Yokai Watch is a huge bomba?

Few things you would have to think about in this case
#1 it's a new IP
#2 it could have long legs
#3 given the type of game it is, I don't think it was meant to be a million seller
#4 you just a hater
#5 a "huge bomba" for a title like this would be 15k, not 50k

#1 Tokiden is a new IP and opened far higher on a much smaller install base (you can also replace "Tokiden" by "Soul Sacrifice")

#2 maybe

#3 Isn't that Pokemon-like game (from what I heard)? And besides it seemed directed to all audiences (unlike Tokiden and Soul Sacrifice which aren't meant for children)

#4 maybe

#5 It sold only half the first shipment, what further proof do you need to realize it is well below expectations?

Pavolink said:
No one else to blame than Nintendo themselves.
I doubt next week the console will be above 12k.

i like u

OT: considering the wiiU only has like a million units out there its good but if u consider past installments of pikmin its bad

Pikmin lower than what I expected.. but still impressive for only 2days release.
Toukiden, the next MH for Vita? I highly think a 2nd episode is on its way. over 300k in sales for a new IP is impressive.
WiiU Hardware had a nice boost, Vita is pretty stable. 3DS is a boss !

RolStoppable said:
The Wii U also beat the Vita for the week which is a nice achievement for a platform that will get shunned by third parties while the Vita can already count on third party support despite its continually poor performance. But that's what the pro-PlayStation bias of third party developers does.

First time hearing this. 3rd parties work on systems where they expect their potential costumers to be (Platinum Games being the only exception), and those often happen to be Playstation systems, that's all.