By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Media Create, Famitsu & Dengeki - Week 28 ( July 8 - July 14 )

outlawauron said:
NintendoPie said:

I never knew the Wii U was pulling ahead of the PS3 like that, if only by a little. That's nice to see. (And that big spike for the 3DS is slightly hilarious.)

Pulling ahead? PS3 has always been behind Wii U...

As some have said, people don't remember how bad the PS3 launch was (but at least there big titles in the making we knew would sell well).

It was getting bad/close. That is why I said pulling ahead. 

Still, I was surprised seeing as how the PS3 ended up not too bad in Japan. (When compared to N64 and GameCube. Which is what most people are comparing the Wii U to. I know they are from different time periods, but same goes for the Wii U-GameCube comparison.)

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Otakumegane said:
People are really not seeing that Pikmin and Luigi both has 2 days of sales.

doesnt pretty much every game have just 2 days of sales in its first week?

No, pretty much every other game releases on Thursday in Japan. Pikmin released on Saturday. The only games that release on Saturday are Pokemon and Dragon Quest games. New game hardwarevalso releases on Saturday.

I'm not sure why Nintendo released Pikmin 3 on Saturday...it would have sold more if they'd given it a standard Thursday release. (having 2 extra days of sales like most other games)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

phenom08 said:
@Turkish Lol your bias is hilarious. WiiU didn't have a price cut thrown in as well lol. Vita is an handheld struggling in a country that loves handhelds lol, have you seen how the other handheld is performing? WiiU is tracking launch aligned above Vita and PS3 with a drought.

You must live in a bubble if you think this. WiiU YTD is LOWER than Vita YTD 2012. The WiiU is the worst selling console of the last decade, not just in Japan but the whole world, thats a fact.

Turkish said:
phenom08 said:
@Turkish Lol your bias is hilarious. WiiU didn't have a price cut thrown in as well lol. Vita is an handheld struggling in a country that loves handhelds lol, have you seen how the other handheld is performing? WiiU is tracking launch aligned above Vita and PS3 with a drought.

You must live in a bubble if you think this. WiiU YTD is LOWER than Vita YTD 2012. The WiiU is the worst selling console of the last decade, not just in Japan but the whole world, thats a fact.

Why people never give something a chance? WiiU isn't even a year old yet and even if it was, its no time to be disgracing something especially a gaming console. Look at Vita, With a price cut sales jump up, some good releases things got better(japan). Now Vita needs that price cut around the world and it'll get much better. WiiU hasn't even had a chance to breathed yet. Pikmin is a great Nintendo franchise but a major system seller is something its not. Also when you predict in Nintendo Software, somebody mentioned you'll say a huge # like in pikmin's case FW 250k then #s reveal its 90k(which is good cuz that means a 10%attach ratio in japan) and you'll say "nintendo flopped" or "the game bombed"! Not Cool Ò.ó

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Its over Nintendo.

btw I was first :P but yours is better

when vita had a boost in performance after a game release you said it was proof that Vita was a potential godmine.

this was in September of 2012 where you made some startling predictions of how Vita would truly shine in 2013... how did that play out?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=147281

so I'm not sure I trust your judgement.

LOL do you bookmark users comments or do you spend hours looking for there posts xD funny none the less.

Back on topic the WiiU is doing around about what people were predicting on tbones thread, I actually thought it would do around 80k and 20k for the hardware, was bit off with the software but pretty spot on for the hardware.

Around the Network
pezus said:
NintendoPie said:

I never knew the Wii U was pulling ahead of the PS3 like that, if only by a little. That's nice to see. (And that big spike for the 3DS is slightly hilarious.)

It was actually losing its lead until this week, lulz. 

Damn, Wii is just on another level. Three times the sales of WiiU and PS3.

That's actually why I said "pulling ahead"... I thought it made sense, anyway.

Doesnt matter if the WiiU pulled 100k hardware....Some users will never be happy :(

A significant portion of Vita's third party support has come/is coming from titles being ported across from another PlayStation platform (or vice versa). Be it PSP (Toukiden/Gods Eater/Danganronpa) or PS3 (Warriors Orochi/Legend of Heroes/Dragon's Crown).

Of course, the situation is better for Vita since there's an exclusive here or there (Chronos Materia; Mind=0 etc.) but I wouldn't overplay the hand of third party support. There's clearly some system that makes porting between existing PlayStation platforms easy - perhaps Sony provides some software to do it.

There isn't such an easy situation for Wii-U. Can't port to or from Wii because it's dead. Can't port to or from DS because it's dead. That leaves 3DS; and I believe the power gulf between 3DS & Wii-U is miles bigger than that of PS3 & Vita (or indeed PSP & Vita?)

Of course, that begs the question of why developers aren't simply porting their PS360 versions across. And for that, I don't have an answer. Maybe where MS & Sony provide incentives to port, Nintendo don't. Maybe all the tinfoilhatting is correct and they're doing it just for the sake of being silly. Who knows.

But I think Sony for running 2 other "viable" platforms in Japan which provides a method for multi-platting games that would be a risk on Vita is the reason it has the third party support that it has. And the fact that Nintendo aren't providing this is probably a reason we're not seeing as much on Wii-U. There's probably other reasons too, ofc.

pezus said:

A one week spike isn't really pulling ahead. I suspect things will even out in the weeks to come. Maybe PS3 got a game near this time from launch and it will match or overtake WiiU. 

Here's a free preview. The PS3 sells a total of 172k in the next ten weeks of the comparison.

Wii U would need 110k to stay ahead of it.

VGChartz

Pikmin 3 did pretty good. In line with its prequels without even counting downloads.