By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Gears of War Revival on the Xbox One

GamersBliss

You could question the fact that the latest/fourth game released in the Gears of War franchise; Gears of War: Judgment, certainly did not hold up to the popularity of the trilogy along with the lead on all three previous games, Cliff Blesinski as well as, franchise manager Rod Fergusson among many others had left Epic Games after the trilogy ran its course. Though the franchise is still considered a Microsoft exclusive. We are coming into a new generation of gaming and it appears that though there has been little to no info circulating regarding a Gears of War title for the Xbox One; now there seems to be a confirmation to a certain degree of a new prequel to all the games in development for the Xbox One.

A journalist from MyXboxLive seems to have spoke to a source close to the development of the game and was given some information about a Gears of War prequel on Xbox One. Apparently the way the original trilogy focused much on Marcus Fenix the Xbox One game will focus on a new character as the franchise is “taking the story back to the emergence before locust” according to this unamed source.  This will open up a whole new world of possibilities. While the game will be taken fairly far back from the days of ‘Emergence Day’ it will not be completely unrecognizable as “fans will get to see Dom’s Brother and a few other fan favs”.  Dom Santiago’s brother, Carlos Benedicto Santiago will be a playable character. In the book series, Carlos died saving the life of Marcus Fenix in the Aspho Fields Wars two years before the emergence of the Locust. With that said, seeing the return of Marcus Fenix would not be so much of a stretch however he will not be the main character the game focuses on.

Not only does the time the game will take place leave an open book when it comes to the plot and where the story can go, but Carlos who is not even to be the “new” character the game will revolve around, though since he will be playable in the game he has been in many different scenarios in the novels. Not only did Carlos fight in the Aspho Field Wars saving Marcus, but he fought in the Dushin and Sarfuth border as well. So with no official title, or plot, it leaves the game open to go in many directions. Carlos, Dom and Marcus join the Coalition of Ordered Government together according to the novels. While none of this information has been officially confirmed by Microsoft or Epic Games, it seems to be that the game at least is some stage of development as the Gears of War franchise is still an exclusive one to Microsoft. With the right development and direction, a new Gears of War game could revitalize the franchise as well as giving gamers even more of a reason to purchase.

http://www.gamersbliss.com/2013/07/11/gears-of-war-revival-on-the-xbox-one/

Around the Network

Why were the sales of the last Gears of War and God of War games so bad?

Both gears of war and god of war needs to die. I dont like too many sequels. I want new IP instead of rehash.

daredevil.shark said:
Both gears of war and god of war needs to die. I dont like too many sequels. I want new IP instead of rehash.

No they don't you selfish person, if you don't want any more from both series then simply never buy another game from both series again. You don't have to insult both incredibly popular and acclaimed franchises just because the latest prequels nobody asked for underperformed critically and commercially. There's plenty of life in both series and they have many millions of fans and are PS's 1st biggest story driven franchise & Xbox's 2nd biggest franchise, so why should they die, for your sake? Who are you to say what franchise should die or continue?

I despise pretentious people who love to complain about sequels and think new IPs always > sequels for some bizarre reason. You know what? Sequels sell, already have a dedicated fan base who want more and it's easier to iterate and perfect a formula set by past games in a series than to start from scratch. We can't just have new IPs all the time to please the minority of entitled forum dwellers constantly crying for new IPs and why do you think existing franchises have to die for new IPs to exist? Do you understand how silly that is? Besides Sony Santa Monica & Epic Games are actually working on new IPs, so there's that.

CGI-Quality said:
LemonSlice said:

Simple, both were unneccessary prequels.

Bingo.

God of War: Ascension was created purely to experiment with multiplayer so that they didn't have to risk God of War IV (which will be a MUCH bigger deal) being sub-par due to stretched resources trying to create a standard SP campaign and a compelling MP compononet, also the team is inexperienced with MP and had nothing in terms of competition to be inspired by. I don't know the purpose for Gears of War: Judgment? Maybe to see how fans react to a new protagonist? Or maybe just so Microsoft could have one last exclusive from one of the biggest franchise on the system.

Around the Network

So a pendulum wars era game?

This has been rumoured for ages and I still think it is a bad idea, takes away much of the fun of Gears I feel

CGI-Quality said:
LemonSlice said:

Simple, both were unneccessary prequels.

So when they make necessary sequels to those franchises, they will sell like before? OK good. :)

I'm up for it. Just let it make sense.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

I hope they take their time and make it properly. Judgement certainly had a lot of fun elements to it, but the campaign itself was uninspired, and the multiplayer was severely lacking in maps and balance.

Munkeh111 said:
So a pendulum wars era game?

This has been rumoured for ages and I still think it is a bad idea, takes away much of the fun of Gears I feel

I didn't buy Judgment, I felt it was unnecessary, but there are a lot of key battles during the Pendulum Wars that could make a fun game (plus Marcus and Dom are actually there is time which helps >.>).