Steam Cards, are you feeling it?

Yes! Love this idea, I pl... 5 7.94%

It's cool, I'm interest... 10 15.87%

I'm intrigued but doubt I'll get into it 20 31.75%

Not too keen on it but it... 7 11.11%

No, this idea is awful, why Steam why?! 9 14.29%

Steam cards? What the heck is that? 12 19.05%

Total:63

So Steam cards are finally out and I decided to play a couple of hours of Dungeons of Dredmor and I some how managed to get 3! 2 of them are dupes ¬_¬

Anyone else collecting/ interested in these? Seems you are even able to sell any card you don't want for actual money. This whole idea has potential I feel, hopefully we get a game like Triple Triad from FF8...I can dream

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

I saw this come up when I was looking at Steam sales. What are they and what's the point?!

BasilZero said:
Scoobes said:
I saw this come up when I was looking at Steam sales. What are they and what's the point?!

Trading cards for collection or for crafting badges to get XP to increase your steam level.

If you are lv 10 or higher on Steam you can get more options to customize your profile which is what I am trying to get n__n - I could care less about collecting the cards xd.

Thanks for the info. Apparently Skyrim has trading cards so I might start there.

Hang on, so these trading cards are to boost your steam level? Which gives you what exactly?

If it gave you discounts, I might be interested, but other than that... I think I will probably just sell mine for money, except that relies on people paying for them, but why would anyone do that?

Also, how do you actually get them?

BasilZero said:
Munkeh111 said:
Hang on, so these trading cards are to boost your steam level? Which gives you what exactly?

If it gave you discounts, I might be interested, but other than that... I think I will probably just sell mine for money, except that relies on people paying for them, but why would anyone do that?

Also, how do you actually get them?

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq

To put it short, you collect cards from a certain (which can range between 5-10 cards depending on the game - you can only get half of the max number of that game, the rest you have to buy them, trade with friends/people, or be lucky to get booster packs which contain random cards in that game's pack).

Once you complete a card collection ,you can craft the cards together to make a badge, as in you lose all the cards and they become a badge - which gives you 100 XP (a level up).

Once you are lv 10 - you can customize your profile differently. Higher level ups will unlock more options to customize your profile.

Also when you craft a badge

What do I get when I craft a badge from my Trading Cards?

In addition to getting the Game Badge itself, you'll get:

• a random emoticon item created for this game, that can use in chat or discussions;
  • a random profile background item created for this game, that can use on your Steam Community profile
  • a chance to get a discount coupon for a different game or DLC
  • 100XP, which may increase your Steam Level

-----

If you dont care about any of that, then you can just sell them on the market for steam monies or trade them to friends and people online.

You get the cards randomly but only by playing the game itself - the amount of hours and achievements do not affect the rate of card drops.

I actually found that just after I posted!

But basically, for most games, I just play them, like FTL where there are "4 card drops remaining" so if I went and played that game, then I would eventually get the card drops?

The game I have been playing is Football Manager 2013. It says card drops earner by purchasing the game 3, card drops recieved 3. So this means that I have receieved all the 3 card drops from just playing the game? I can now get a booster pack randomly given to me which contains 3 cards, but may contain a duplicate? (in fact, one of my 3 card drops was a duplicate)

For the rest, I can buy them on the community market if someone is selling them, or I can trade for them?

I kind of want the badges, but not enough to pay for them... I guess I will be patient

Around the Network

i get steam cards and just sell that's all they are good to me

BasilZero said:
Munkeh111 said:

But basically, for most games, I just play them, like FTL where there are "4 card drops remaining" so if I went and played that game, then I would eventually get the card drops?

The game I have been playing is Football Manager 2013. It says card drops earner by purchasing the game 3, card drops recieved 3. So this means that I have receieved all the 3 card drops from just playing the game? I can now get a booster pack randomly given to me which contains 3 cards, but may contain a duplicate? (in fact, one of my 3 card drops was a duplicate)

For the rest, I can buy them on the community market if someone is selling them, or I can trade for them?

I kind of want the badges, but not enough to pay for them... I guess I will be patient

Paid games will let you have a chance of obtaining at least half of the number of the maximum number of cards.

Free games such as DOTA2/Team Fortress 2 and MMOs - you need to pay a certain amount of real money from ingame purchasing in order to even start getting cards.

For an example - Left 4 Dead 2 has 8 cards but only 4 will drop to you since you own it/bought it.

The other 4 you have to get through buying off the market/trading, from the community/friend or getting it through a booster pack (which is a low percentage I think but increases the chance as your levels go up).

Yeah...I'm just trying to get to lv 10 ;x. I need like 150 XP to get to lv 10. I'll get 100 XP from the L4D2 collection since I need 3 more. Hopefully we get a badge from the summer sale like last year which gives like 100 XP by itself.

You also get points by the number of years you've been a member of Steam. 50 points a year and it goes up to 450 points.

You also get points based on what games you bought depending on the price of the game. If you get a game for free , you get one XP from what I've seen. Like for me I have 118 games according to steam but I have made about 338 XP from purchasing/owning games.

Okay, thanks for explaining this

Most of my XP comes from my 102 games and 4 years of service

heh, based on the poll, this doesn't seem popular right now.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I'm selling mine.

Got 25p for one last night.

pezus said:
Munkeh111 said:

Yes, you can trade them. See if some of your friends have the cards you need. Otherwise, the cards seem to be dropping pretty rapidly in value so maybe they'll be down to almost $0 in a few weeks

Well this is my point, why would anyone actually pay for these things?