By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "An Unbiased Review" New Super Mario Bros U - A JayWood2010 Review

User Reviews

10 4 7.84%

9 12 23.53%

8 11 21.57%

7 9 17.65%

6 5 9.80%

5 2 3.92%

4 0 0%

3 0 0%

2 0 0%

1 7 13.73%

Total:50

Well, i don´t agree with you. Not by the score but for the fact that you must complete the game (all of it) to be able to make a good review.
This review is worthless.

Around the Network
POE said:
Well, i don´t agree with you. Not by the score but for the fact that you must complete the game (all of it) to be able to make a good review.

Would you consider a review correct without every achievement/trophy?

No double standards guys.  A game is not 100% complete until you have every achievement and trophy.  They also add difficulty to the games.

JayWood2010 said:
POE said:

No double standards guys.  A game is not 100% complete until you have every achievement and trophy.  They also add difficulty to the games.

Haha, what? that´s your argument?
Ok let´s say it´s valid, let´s follow your logic:
So i don´t need to play every "real" part of a game to review it. In that case I should review super smash bros brawl by only playing it´s story mode.

POE said:
JayWood2010 said:

So i don´t need to play every "real" part of a game to review it. In that case I should review super smash bros brawl by only playing it´s story mode.

No, I did beat NSMBU.  The secret world would be considered added content or extended gameplay from the main story to add to the gameplay (something i already played for 8 world, 4 worlds 100%).  People are saying that coins add to the difficulty and i disagree, but if people are going ot say that then it is no different than achivements/trophies which also are considering 100% the game and adds difficulty just like coins.  Are you telling me that those extra 4 levels i missed are going to change anything the review said?  Is that what you are saying?  Or are you saying me collecting those tedious coins/achievements/trophies are going to change my mind? It is not like i played it for an hour and put it down.  Far from that.  For the people who want to go collecting every coin (Perfectionist) they have that choice to do so, just like people have the choice to get every achievement but they still DO NOT change the core of the game.  Just added gameplay for the people who chose to do so.  I find this baffling that for some reason a Nintendo game should be treated differently because somehow collecting coins is more important than a platinum trophy on a PS3 game or getting 1000 gamerpoints on a Xbox game.  If that is the case then 99.9% of every review on every website is wrong because I gaurantee that they are not 100%

JayWood2010 said:
POE said:
JayWood2010 said:

No, I did beat NSMBU.  The secret world would be considered added content or extended gameplay from the main story to add to the gameplay (something i already played for 8 world, 4 worlds 100%).  People are saying that coins add to the difficulty and i disagree, but if people are going ot say that then it is no different than achivements/trophies which also are considering 100% the game and adds difficulty just like coins.  Are you telling me that those extra 4 levels i missed are going to change anything the review said?  Is that what you are saying?  Or are you saying me collecting those tedious coins/achievements/trophies are going to change my mind? It is not like i played it for an hour and put it down.  Far from that.  For the people who want to go collecting every coin (Perfectionist) they have that choice to do so, just like people have the choice to get every achievement but they still DO NOT change the core of the game.  Just added gameplay for the people who chose to do so.  I find this baffling that for some reason a Nintendo game should be treated differently because somehow collecting coins is more important than a platinum trophy on a PS3 game or getting 1000 gamerpoints on a Xbox game.  If that is the case then 99.9% of every review on every website is wrong because I gaurantee that they are not 100%

Ok man, im going to bed.

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:

Sorry i didn't think I had to point out the pics too...

If you're referring to me, which you more than obviously are, just because I chose a funny pic from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, an old cartoon I happen to like, doesn't infer that "HERP DERP, HE LIKES MARIO, OF COURSE HE'S GONNA CALL YOU BIASED".

And that is beyond the point I originally made anyway. I simply said that titling his reviews with the word "unbiased" probably wasn't the way to go, because EVERYONE has some kind of bias coming into just about everything they experience, bias is not merely bad, it can also be good, but one way or the other, everything we experience is 100% subjective, and is colored very much by our personal tastes and opinions. His take on the game is "biased" because his own personal preferences and tastes are coloring his perceptions of the game, thus him saying it was "too easy and uninpsired".

I never once stated that his review was badly done, or that he didn't have a right to state his opinions on the game. That's what a review is. But honestly, at least as far as this man's concerned, there is no such thing as an "unbiased" review, from anyone.

P.S. Should I perhaps change my avatar image to something NOT including anything even remotely Nintendo related, so that you might feel inclined to apparently take what I have to say more seriously? lol

JayWood2010 said:
POE said:

The difference here is that trophies/achievments aren't necessary to experience every level of a game whereas in NSMBU you need to complete every level and obtain every star coin in order to open up the last level on Star Road.

I'm sure that clearing the game 100% wouldn't change your score any, but I think the point people are trying to make is that in order to see the entire game (that means getting all of the Star Coins and completing all of Superstar Road, including level 9), there's more of a challenge to be had.

I'm not particularly agreeing with either side here but I think the argument of "you should see the entire game to write a review and that means getting all the gold coins" doesn't hold much weight.

In order to see an entire Atelier game, you'll need to play through building up your relationship with every character (which unlocks different scenarios and in some cases dungeons to travel to) as well as completing every single side quest within the correct timeframe to unlock all the endings.

This means either managing your first playthrough with a guide (it is possible to figure out on your own, but not first time around) or having at least 2 different playthroughs. Of a 30+ hour JRPG.

It's not optional content, because you haven't seen the true ending until you've done all of these things. Except it is optional because you can see an ending without it.

I think the argument comes down to that he didn't think the main game itself was challenging enough, but he didn't try the self-imposed challenges that would make it more difficult. That's just an issue to do with modern game design.

I'll cite (like I always do): World of Warcraft. The game was dumbed down by WoTLK (but especially Cataclysm) so that a group of 25 complete strangers could potentially complete all the raids in the game. If you were a traditional raiding guild, you could complete these raids on heroic difficulty which added more challenge; different loot and in some cases tweaked the bosses a little. It was a case of pandering to the majority of players but having something else for the more hardcore.

But I wouldn't say to a LFR player "I can't trust your opinion about this game" because they hadn't completed every raid in the game on 25 man heroic. And that's not even getting into the fact that they'd have to have completed every quest in the game with every class on both alliance & horde; be a _____ Gladiator in arena with every class of the game; be 450 in every profession and so on and so forth. There's a gap between having seen everything and having seen 'enough' to form a sensible opinion.

And I'm not saying it's been reached here, because I don't really know enough about 2D Mario to pass judgement. But it's not as black & white as "You've seen 100% of the game or you've not seen enough to form an opinion".

In my opinion :P

Please stop with that ridiculous "unbiased review" title.

The only way you could do an unbiased review is if you were a robot.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Please stop with that ridiculous "unbiased review" title.

The only way you could do an unbiased review is if you were a robot.

Nah. He'll say that coming from someone like you, it doesn't mean much...

But you might be onto somthing there.