By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Petition to bring back restrictions [DRM]?

Do you want micosoft to bring back the old Xbox One policies?

Yes! I actually liked the extra features 172 37.15%

No! I hated the DRM 189 40.82%

No! it was the reason i w... 102 22.03%

Total:463

singed!! lets hope the xbox one returns to being the "future"!

Around the Network
endimion said:
there is many ways to make it a viable thing.... those 10 players can't play the game when they want if it was only one other person that can play... it also becomes impossible to play if the owner sells the game.... finally I'm sure DLC would have been inaccessible.... so even if it would have eaten some revenue from initial sales (and I doubt it would have been much bigger than second hand and disc based lending already does) it could have generated more direct revenue to the devs through second hand fees + more DLC bought than with current state of things....

but I believe nobody knew exactly what would have been the consequences of that model for any party since it hasn't been tried on a large scale.... but I believe it could have been viable if done correctly....

I believe they cut it because the entire logic was based upon devs getting a share of the resold games.... without that new income the sharing plan is therefore less viable... so it's not a technical issue it is a economical one....

They cut the sharing feature because devs no longer got a cut of used game sales in stores? So it subsidised the 'loss' they might make people freely sharing games like they always have. Difference here is distance. Game sharing was usually done between younger audiences because they are kids and can't afford both and they live near each other. The digital game sharing would have been possible over thousands of miles between nearly 2 completely strangers who just didn't want to buy the same game at full price.

The whole system is extremely flawed. Nice idea in principle but a mess.

Although one this jsut struck me, they never said they had removed their 'devs get a cut from used sales from stores' thing. They just said the DRM and sharing had been removed. There might still be a deal with bigger retailers which would allow devs to get a cut of used games sales.

Hmm, pie.

Just signed it. Hope Microsoft listens to us and bring back it's old wonderful pro-consumer policies.

*Fingers crossed*

well yeah but what would be the insight for gamestop best buy to give a cut if there is no way to hold back resale without the DRM lock ???? it's not like those companies are charities and will give a cut to devs just out of goodness of heart????

I don't think it was that flawed.... I have games on discs right now lend to peeps living hundreds and some thousands of miles away from me (i'm done with them and they have not much resale value)....
I also don't believe that the majority of the market would have colluded that much to abuse the system, otherwise many other business models like Netflix would have collapsed by now....
and while I agree the thing was probably not perfect (therefore flawed) I'm convinced it could have worked because they would have generated revenue with other means.... once again while sharing the game would have been possible nothing was said on how it would have worked.... maybe every 15 min you would have had a pop up to buy the game (which could have been annoying enough to push people to buy... after all it works with music distribution), limited access to some features like gamer score or multiplayer (once again enough for some to do a purchase), then you have what I said before about not being able to play when you want if someone else plays the game, or loosing access when the person sells it.... and finally one of the biggest one I could see is in game advertising... if you grow your audience with a wider sharing capability you can also sell your advertising spot at a premium price.... especially since with the cloud sharing principle it was using would have given them quantifiable data which is not the case with disc based sharing if people are not connected....
and with all that we have to keep in mind that second hand sales would have been a source of revenue for devs....

so all in all I don't believe it was flawed enough to hurt devs any more than the current state of the business model....
but yeah it more than likely would have needed tweaks....

Michael-5 said:

I signed it to mindf*** MS.

Around the Network

LOL sony fans are signing it. I basically gave up on 12 years of xbox gaming bc of it. so go for it, it will only make me not buy it later.

With no drm, I will buy a xbo in about 2 years or so.

MS never removed DRM because of the consumers. They did it because Gamestop was against their policies. It was costing gamestop too much. Notice that the day Gamestop announced it would stop taking preorders for xb1, MS said it would no longer carry drm (or the 10 person sharing feature)...ie, xb180. Then the very next day, Gamestop said it would then start taking preorders again.
Our very own benvtrigger said there was a big problem with the console and it had nothing to do with shortages.
Gamestop ended DRM, not the consumers. Your petition means nothing.

sometime Internet you make me laughted so hard that hurt ....

Microsoft removed these features so they can blame the people for "not getting" their "futuristic vision" while in reality their little stupid vision is to rip off people and tell them "it's good for.you"
Having a drm on the console won't make it futuristic, that's just what Microsoft wants you to think so that they won't appear in a bad light and try to spin it as a good thing exactly like they did with their stupid Windows 8 design, Windows phone restrictions and their adfest "you get what you pay for" XBL" service, people are so gullible.

You know what? Go for it, MS do another 180 then we'll back to the 360.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?