By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor - Microsoft may increase RAM to 12 GB and GPU clock increase to Xbox One

The way you worded it made it sound like you were talking about consumer memory.

Edit: Samsung, Hynix, Micron et all. DO have memory running at 2133mhz, just not at density's needed (1G) to achieve a 16x16bit layout with 16Gb.
Microsoft could achieve it with a 32x16bit layout, but that would just be stupid.

Edit 2: Regardless, I think we put the RAM rumor to rest at any rate. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
chapset said:

The X1 has a 500Gb hard drive instead of putting more ram in it let us download as much as we want, I downloaded 20 Gb of rams a month ago

First, it's GB.  Giga Byte.  Gb is Giga bit.  You didn't download 20GB of RAMS.  RAM is Random Access Memory.  You downloaded 20GB of content that used 20GB of storage on your hard disk drive (HDD).  A HDD is not made up of RAM.  If you're going to talk about something, use the correct terminology and in the correct context. 

On the Xbox One you can do the same.  When you're done using it, you can then delete it and download it again at a later date when you want it or attach an external HDD of your chosing, and copy the content to the external HDD so you don't have to download it again.  Likewise, if you're going to criticize something, make sure you're educated about it before possibly making irrelevant criticisms. 

The Xbox One has a set amount of storage available to users internal within the box, but they have unlimited storage online and they have the ability to use any external USB HDD or USB memory stick to store archival content on. 

Thanks for explaining things nicely to them.  It seems they must have many computer questions when their grandkids visit.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Mmmfishtacos said:

If the console wasn't already in production than a day one patch wouldn't be needed. So yeah. They have already started producing them. The ram upgrade is not going to happen. I'd sweep this rumor under the rug.

Marc Whitten said a day one patch had been planned from the beginning.  So, the base necessary components of the software are already rolled out, the difference is that on day one, a patch will be applied rolling the software up to the release version. 

The benefit to this is that the developers at Microsoft have more time to work on the code, rather than push for a deadline, which typically has been three months before it hits retail (i.e. August).  Since they don't have that strict deadline, and the base code does what they want it to do, they just need to do a day one patch to roll-up the software to the day one release. 

Bottomline is the software is not tied to the hardware.  Not in the sense that Microsoft can't roll-out the hardware and then make a update available on day one.

never going to happen

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

I can't tell if people don't think it's gonna happen or don't want it to happen. 12gb of ram is definitely good for the consumer and for the developers- what's the issue?

Around the Network
Figgycal said:
I can't tell if people don't think it's gonna happen or don't want it to happen. 12gb of ram is definitely good for the consumer and for the developers- what's the issue?

The issue is the engineering nightmare to add 4G ram to the 256bit bus. You can wish for more ram until you turn blue in the face, it is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. All those threads due to a stupid rumour ("MS solved the yield issues by INCREASING the clock rates" yeah suuure..).

That would be insane and would drive sony fanboys crazy. They will still find ways to bash it regardless

DeadBigfoot21 said:
That would be insane and would drive sony fanboys crazy. They will still find ways to bash it regardless

Still ain't GDDDDR5.

ethomaz said:
D-Joe said:
This one is more likely
http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-rumors-point-to-a-higher-clock-speed-but-doubtful-on-increase-ram

Did Respawn Entertainment was mad about the 5GB for games? We read that before?

No

http://www.xboxoneforums.net/forum/23-titanfall/178-titanfall.html#post3703

It's their problem

Figgycal said:

Considering the Xbox One is half as strong as the PS4, having 5GB instead of 7 shouldn't be a big deal.  Maybe another GB would be good for future-proofing, but that's it.

Overclocking the GPU on the other hand would help a little, but again: So great now the PS4 is 60% stronger instead of 100%!  Will it even make a difference?

All of this leads us to conclude: "Too litle too late."  If they make this decision, then that could delay the console to the end of November and lower the amount they can produce at launch.  At that point PS4 will be able to outsell them around 8:1 or more just based on shipments alone in 2013.  Is it worth it?

Personally I think MS has already lost the early game so maybe giving up a little more right now is worth it to stop the PS4 from overpowering them again due to specs in a year.  But more RAM isn't the answer.  I think they should go with 2400 MHz RAM (Instead of 2133), overclock the GPU 30%, and free up at least 0.5 GB of that 3GB's the OS is using.  That might actually close the gap to an acceptable 30% or so.