By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor - Microsoft may increase RAM to 12 GB and GPU clock increase to Xbox One

well that's the thing I'm still not over it.... but yeah I'll let it go if it's that big of deal.... it's not like that thread hasn't been pretty much exhausted on every possibility.... we just have to wait and see....

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:
Pemalite said:
Daisuke72 said:

Totally ignores the fact a 512MB GDDR5 GPU outperforms a 1GB DDR3 GPU, but k. 

Not always the case.
There comes a point with a GPU that regardless of how fast or large the Ram is, it will bring no additional benefits.
Ram doesn't do any form of processing remember.

For example, grab a Radeon 6450, regardless of what game you play you will not get any speed improvements with GDDR5 or 1Gb of memory, it's simply to slow to be of any use to either.

It's the Mid-Range and High-End stuff that really sees any benefit moving from DDR3/GDDR3 to GDDR5.
The real high-end can take all the bandwidth you throw at it, thankfully the PC should get GDDR6 sometime next year, then maybe, just maybe I might be able to max out Crysis 3. :p

An HD 6450 is a really bad example, in terms of raw processing power it's comparable to the PS360. It also features a really limiting 64-bit bus. But even with lower-end cards there is definitely a difference between ddr3 and gddr5, take the HD 6670 for example:

Or a GT 440 1gb DDR3 vs a GT 440 512mb GDDR5, even with half the memory the GDDR5 is alway's faster: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/GeForce-GT-440-512-MB-GDDR5-vs-1-GB-DDR3-Video-Card-Review/1272/6

Did you not read my post?
You're just confirming my points.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Hynad said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Hynad said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

These rumours, though, could also be a trap for Sony, to make it follow suit, increasing PS4's costs.

Hum... no. Sony wouldn't react to that kind of thing this close to launch. And thinking they could is naive at best.

It depends on when the rumour started... And if the rumour was started not by MS, but by some of its fans, it could be a naive attempt to set a trap.

A naive attempt to set a trap? By the fans? Are you serious?

Well, making the imagination run quite wildly.    But if such rumour started from just one person and then spread on the net, then almost every hypothesis could be not totally unlikely.
Always supposing the rumour is false, another hypothesis, maybe less unlikely, could be fans trying to force MS to increase RAM.
In both cases, and also in almost all the other possible hypotheses, whatever the reason for which the rumour started, each one helping spreading it could have a different reason.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I really can't see this happening the production specs have to have already been ordered.