By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor - Microsoft may increase RAM to 12 GB and GPU clock increase to Xbox One

Would be nice, but adding 50% more RAM seems tough when it is that high.

Around the Network

did they ever release a clock speed to begin with? And in this one article saying how its really better, and everything you heard before was disinformation from developers. to throw everyone off. How convenient.

hopefully this spreads fast and gets torn apart so we can find out if theirs any truth behind it.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Darth Tigris said:
Negative X1 rumors are true, positive ones are false. Am I doing it right?

This rumor is more negative than positive

D-Joe said:
This one is more likely
http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-rumors-point-to-a-higher-clock-speed-but-doubtful-on-increase-ram

Did Respawn Entertainment was mad about the 5GB for games? We read that before?

Farsala said:
Would be nice, but adding 50% more RAM seems tough when it is that high.

It's more easy to added 100% RAM than 50% RAM without change the design/project.

Around the Network
DD_Bwest said:
did they ever release a clock speed to begin with? And in this one article saying how its really better, and everything you heard before was disinformation from developers. to throw everyone off. How convenient.

hopefully this spreads fast and gets torn apart so we can find out if theirs any truth behind it.

Nope! Not as far as I am aware of anyway.

However there are simple ways to work it out.
Jaguar (The CPU the next-gen consoles use) will generally top-out with a maximum of 2ghz core clock, much like Bobcat/Brazos, however the optimal clock speed for both Desktops and the PC for this particular architecture will be... You guessed it! A meagre 1.6ghz for various reasons like power consumption.

Microsoft is also using 16 x 16-bit, 512Mb 2133mhz DDR3 memory chips soldered onto the motherboard, this won't change regardless of the rumors as it would mean less performance as some of the chips would be higher density than others hence reducing performance, plus going by the leaked internal shots, Microsoft didn't reserve any area for more memory chips on the motherboard like they did with the first Xbox.
It's 16Gb or nothing folks.

For the GPU Microsoft did state that the GPU is capable of 768 operations per clock and that it was a GCN part.
Thus thanks to the PC's indepth look into the GPU architecture we know it's 12 compute units each capable of 64 operations per clock which gives us the magical 768 shaders.
800mhz, would give us the 1.2 Teraflop number.
Reason why many picked 800mhz is due to multiple reasonings, one is Power consumption and the other is that no discreet GCN GPU has been released at lower than 800mhz. - A 28nm GCN part can hit 1ghz easily enough, yet to meet one that couldn't.
800mhz is a good conservative number to stand- by untill confirmation from Microsoft or a break-down of the consoles when they are released.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Nope! Not as far as I am aware of anyway.

However there are simple ways to work it out.
Jaguar (The CPU the next-gen consoles use) will generally top-out with a maximum of 2ghz core clock, much like Bobcat/Brazos, however the optimal clock speed for both Desktops and the PC for this particular architecture will be... You guessed it! A meagre 1.6ghz for various reasons like power consumption.

Microsoft is also using 16 x 16-bit, 512Mb 2133mhz DDR3 memory chips soldered onto the motherboard, this won't change regardless of the rumors as it would mean less performance as some of the chips would be higher density than others hence reducing performance, plus going by the leaked internal shots, Microsoft didn't reserve any area for more memory chips on the motherboard like they did with the first Xbox.
It's 16Gb or nothing folks.

For the GPU Microsoft did state that the GPU is capable of 768 operations per clock and that it was a GCN part.
Thus thanks to the PC's indepth look into the GPU architecture we know it's 12 compute units each capable of 64 operations per clock which gives us the magical 768 shaders.
800mhz, would give us the 1.2 Teraflop number.
Reason why many picked 800mhz is due to multiple reasonings, one is Power consumption and the other is that no discreet GCN GPU has been released at lower than 800mhz. - A 28nm GCN part can hit 1ghz easily enough, yet to meet one that couldn't.
800mhz is a good conservative number to stand- by untill confirmation from Microsoft or a break-down of the consoles when they are released.

Just to add...

There is no 8Gb DDR3 version running at 2133Mhz (1066Mhz real) in the market... so even for 16GB they have to go with 1GB 1800mhz DDR3 (8Gb modules).

Bandwidth drop.

And remember that the eSRAM runs at the same clock of GPU in the Xbone APU... so any increase in GPU clock will increase the eSRAM too... it's not only the GCN... it's a GCN into a APU with 32MB eSRAM... I think the this version of GCN can't reach 1GHz "that" easily.

ethomaz said:

Just to add...

There is no 8Gb DDR3 version running at 2133Mhz (1066Mhz real) in the market... so even for 16GB they have to go with 1GB 1800mhz DDR3 (8Gb modules).

Bandwidth drop.

And remember that the eSRAM runs at the same clock of GPU in the Xbone APU... so any increase in GPU clock will increase the eSRAM too... it's not only the GCN... it's a GCN into a APU with 32MB eSRAM... I think the this version of GCN can't reach 1GHz "that" easily.

What? Are you saying there are no 8Gb memory sticks in the consumer PC market running at 2133mhz? If that's the case, I'm willing to make a bet on that.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

What? Are you saying there are no 8Gb memory sticks in the consumer PC market running at 2133mhz? If that's the case, I'm willing to make a bet on that.

What are you talking about? I really didn't understand.

8Gb (Gbits) memory modules means 1GB (GByte) density per chips... MS uses 16 chips of 4Gb (512MB) into Xbone running at 2133Mhz (this one to be exactly: http://www.micron.com/parts/dram/ddr3-sdram/mt41j256m16ha-093).

The fastest 8Gb modules at Micron is 1866Mhz (933Mhz real): http://www.micron.com/parts/dram/ddr3-sdram/mt41k1g8trf-107

Edit - If you mean PC remember that a memory chip in PC have a lot of memory modules like that:

This one have 8x 2Gb (256MB) modules... so 2GB capacity.

I did more research guys...

Neither Samsung and Hynix have 8Gb modules running at 2133Mhz too... even at engineering sample.

Samsung, Hynix and Micron didn't have... so what other memory manufacturer exists? I think 2133Mhz for 8Gb modules is not ready yet.