By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor - Microsoft may increase RAM to 12 GB and GPU clock increase to Xbox One

@drkohler that's exactly what I said production of the XB1 is not the issue it's sourcing therefore production of the component by other manufacturer that is the issue....
the only way they can counter that is either by throwing money to get the component from manufacturer since we're talking about 100s millions of dollar more over the life of the console.... or buying stock from other OEMs if they exist in the spec they need.....

but saying it's too late for MS to produce XB with new spec is plane wrong from a technical standpoint... they are probably not in production yet....

Around the Network
Daisuke72 said:
Calling bullshit, I mean it's coming from an unproven source so I don't know why this thread is blowing up like it has, and I seriously doubt Microsoft will be making changes only four months before launch, when the console should be already under production or merely weeks from it.

However if this was SOMEHOW true, it'd be a gamble on their part. Overclocking a GPU can cause heat issues and for them to burn out quicker, all for a 15% - 30% percent performance increase. On the bright side the GPU power difference between it and the PS4 would be more or less at around 20% - 30% rather than 50% and the RAM advantage would probably go towards graphical capabilities as well, so like 9GB vs 7GB for games would pretty much close the visual difference between the two.

But once again, I seriously doubt this.

Today I actually did the math and found a PS4=14.4 PS3's in power while a Xbox One=7.8.   This rumor would alleviate the innadequate amount of RAM and probably increase performance to 9.36 PS3's.  That would make the PS4 only ~60% stronger as apposed to 100%.  

TheSting said:
jacks81x said:
TheSting said:
Do any of you know the deadline as to when production would need to start to have the system out before Dec. 1st? Seriously and no guesswork

That probably varies with each console.  It all depends on how many launch units they are projecting, who their production partner is, how long it takes to secure a contract to acquire all the necessary components, how easy/difficult it is to assemble the console, etc.

Thats what I'm thinking also. So no one in here knows for sure. & if that's the case the "they would have to delay the console" posters really need to stop. They know absolutely nothing about the time. 

No one would know that exact timeframe, but you can also safely assume that a production of this scale would at least take a few months.  

Salnax said:
IamAwsome said:
12 GB?? Can you say overkill?

Honestly, I thought 8 GB was overkill. This should have been the 4 to 6 GB generation.

Actually Playstation consoles have had there main RAM go up in increments of 16. PS1 (2MB) > PS2 (32MB) > PS3 (512MB) > PS4 (8192MB). It's perfectly inline with previous gens.

No chance. Doing this would make the motherboard more complex and even more expensive to produce before you even think about the extra cost that another 4GB of DDR3 would incur. Not going to happen.

Around the Network

Cool, now change the name to something good.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

TheFallen said:
Salnax said:
IamAwsome said:
12 GB?? Can you say overkill?

Honestly, I thought 8 GB was overkill. This should have been the 4 to 6 GB generation.

Actually Playstation consoles have had there main RAM go up in increments of 16. PS1 (2MB) > PS2 (32MB) > PS3 (512MB) > PS4 (8192MB). It's perfectly inline with previous gens.

Except the increments are usually lower than 16. The PSOne had 3.5 MB of RAM, including VRAM and the half a meg devoted to sound. PS2 had 38 MB including sound and video RAM. And, of course the PS3 has 512 and the PS4 has 8 GB. But that's a 11-fold increase followed by a 13 fold increase followed by a 16 fold increase. The regular RAM increase is going up, to the extent where I fully expect the PS4 to have at least 150 GB of RAM.

Besides, people generally agree that the PS3 was too technologically ahead of its time to be profitable at launch. You'd think Sony would show an iota of restrant, maybe making the mediumn console again like back in the PS3 era. Instead, they are once again the most powerful machine. And sure, for $400, that's a good deal for customers. But imagine what a 4 GB RAM PS4 would be like, selling at $300 and still overwhelming the Wii U while not being much wearker than the far more expensive One.

Love and tolerate.

It's perfectly fine, They will just bring an expansion pack! ^^

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

If the console wasn't already in production than a day one patch wouldn't be needed. So yeah. They have already started producing them. The ram upgrade is not going to happen. I'd sweep this rumor under the rug.

Mmmfishtacos said:
If the console wasn't already in production than a day one patch wouldn't be needed. So yeah. They have already started producing them. The ram up grand is not going to happen. I'd sweep this rumor under the rug.

i was going to say something along those lines,how can they change the ram if its to late to even change the software..

but i dont know much about production and it occured what if they mass produce the hard drives with the software installed just to virtually plug them into the xbox,  so the HD's are well into production ready to be slotted in, and they cant really go through them all to change the software.  but i dont kno anything so its pure conjecture.   

still think a ram upgrade is highly unlikely

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz