By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What Does Microsoft Need To Do To Win You Back?

What does Microsoft need to do to win you back?

Lower the price 41 8.20%

Don't make kinect required 47 9.40%

GAMES, GAMES and more GAMES 39 7.80%

Free online 17 3.40%

Offer more free games on live 3 0.60%

Other 6 1.20%

All of the above 66 13.20%

They already won me back :) 52 10.40%

They will never win me back 167 33.40%

See results 62 12.40%

Total:500
Carl2291 said:

It needs to be a lot cheaper and they need a lot more exclusives.

Will be a cheap pickup in likely 3-4, maybe 5 Years when I can get the good exclusives on the cheap.

Thats when they "win" me back.

im trying to figure out how many  exclusive do you need to be viable i mean they have 15 exclusives and how many games announced same has sony throwing a 100+ number out their ass.  the numbers sound great but realistically most of them will just be a waste of time and money for the developer since they will be in the garbage pit of market saturation hoping to break through

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
mutantclown said:

I only had the original Xbox, so it's been a long time since they had me. They should start by getting more *real* exclusives, make the HDD replaceable. Focus more on games, sell a bundle without Kinect and when it's $200 I'll even consider buying one.

Why make the HDD replaceable?

You have unlimited storage via the Cloud.  So any movies or music you buy (or if you have Windows 8 upload to Xbox Music), and any games you purchase are available via the cloud (except disc-based games).    In addition, you can connect a USB-based HDD for additional storage so if you did need additional storage you could use any standard USB 3.0 external HDD. 

What is the barrier?

I don't want to attach extra stuff to my console, it's my preference. And what is this "unlimited storage" you're talking about? no it is not. And what do you mean they're available via the cloud? For streaming without having to download first? I even doubt MS will have that service, and in any case I would still fully download my games/purchase disc.

mutantclown said:
Adinnieken said:

Why make the HDD replaceable?

You have unlimited storage via the Cloud.  So any movies or music you buy (or if you have Windows 8 upload to Xbox Music), and any games you purchase are available via the cloud (except disc-based games).    In addition, you can connect a USB-based HDD for additional storage so if you did need additional storage you could use any standard USB 3.0 external HDD. 

What is the barrier?

I don't want to attach extra stuff to my console, it's my preference. And what is this "unlimited storage" you're talking about? no it is not. And what do you mean they're available via the cloud? For streaming without having to download first? I even doubt MS will have that service, and in any case I would still fully download my games/purchase disc.

Yes, with the Xbox One the Cloud service offers unlimited storage for your games, movies, music, and content.  This was stated multiple times by Microsoft.  The Xbox One, similar to the PS4, downloads a portion of the game before it begins playing the game.  Streaming the game down to the console while you're playing.  Unlike the PS4, you don't select a part of the game.  You simply select the game.  And yes, they have that feature.  It's available to both free Xbox Live users as well as Gold subscribers.

Nothing stops you from downloading the games, Microsoft has always allowed you to delete and redownload your games as many times as you want, on as many consoles as you want.  The streaming feature is new to Xbox LIVE with the Xbox One.

EDIT:

The benefit of removable storage is you can have as many HDDs with as many games as you can possibly imagine.  You just unplug it and plug another in.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

They were forced to change the policy. If you listened to what Yusuf has said, in his representation of MS he downplayed the hardcore backlash, but its the casuals they were waitning for; however, the issues with the Xbone seeped into the wider media outlets and people were saying that Gamestop put a cap on Xbone preorders. Yes, i would say all things considered, if they didnt change their ways this could've been a console with potentially very low sales in comparison and Microsoft does not want a console in the industry that cannot tear a hole in Sonys marketshare. MS was forced to listen before their product tanked and they did it quickly even though they lied that it wasnt a quick fix. Look up Angry Joe, whom confronted Major Nelson and asked him and got grilled for even trying when he knew DRM only needs a software fix. Of course he "doesn't know what hes talking about". Yet a week after he says it, it happens. Not a quick fix my ass.

Yes, we all know they were forced to change. MS did not just have an honest change of heart and completely scrapped their entire policy and intentions just because Ballmer had some weird dream or something. They changed because of what retailers were telling them about interest in their console and they knew with Sony leaving DRM up to 3rd party companies, it made no sense for them to force it. But you said they never listen until they are on the brink of failure. Xbox One was not on the brink of failure and yet they changed.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

As for your second response, watch this interview below. Jack Tretton and Sony have always left the Eyetoy as a choice since they started the camera motion control trend. I played the Eyetoy when I was younger at a friends house some of the time. I think what you're babbling on about is a marketing issue. I don't believe Sony saw motion controls as a major thing even and wanted people to check it out for themselves but the problem there is they did it with a little marketing as possible. They focus too much on the core experience. Same experience that the Kinect gave, just a gen before. That an he came off as one of the most personable executive ever in a videogame company, which has been known for a while. He's the polar opposite of Kaz. It was very nice of him to go to IGN and have that interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn5AraH6wAQ

I don't need to watch any interview. I am aware Sony never put a huge emphasis on the Eyetoy. They didn't because it was not something that took off. Had it taken off, they'd of emphasized it more. You're rambling and getting off point. My reply was laughing at you implying Sony started some camera motion control trend. Again, if they started a trend, then why was it 7 years later before someone else tried camera motion controls? Why did their own Eyetoy only see like 24 games designed for it in over 5 years? Meanwhile there are already over 110 games that require the Kinect. The only trend that matters here is Nintendo and the motion control trend. Sony didn't start anything.

tuscaniman99 said:
@S.T.A.G.E.
We get it that you're anti MS and pro Sony all day every day. Must you go on a tirade in every thread?

What tirade? I was responding to Allard. I don't trust Microsoft, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy their console if they had games that I liked and an affordable price. I stated this earlier. 

#Zeroidentity

^ This is exactly why I need a Twitter account.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:

Yes, we all know they were forced to change. MS did not just have an honest change of heart and completely scrapped their entire policy and intentions just because Ballmer had some weird dream or something. They changed because of what retailers were telling them about interest in their console and they knew with Sony leaving DRM up to 3rd party companies, it made no sense for them to force it. But you said they never listen until they are on the brink of failure. Xbox One was not on the brink of failure and yet they changed.

They had to scrap their intentions or else. End of story. The Xbone's reception was one of the worst receptions ever in the history of gaming (yes wayyyyyyyy worse than the $599 PS3 incident. They managed to beat that.). All of the cards for MS seemed to fall one after the other. Give people their damn console and stop trying to control everything. Stop trying to tell people what the future is unless its affordable and doesn't restrict them. As I said again, when Yusuf from MS was interviewed he played it off like the core gamers opinion on the issue don't matter when they make up the bulk of the early adopters.

I don't need to watch any interview. I am aware Sony never put a huge emphasis on the Eyetoy. They didn't because it was not something that took off. Had it taken off, they'd of emphasized it more. You're rambling and getting off point. My reply was laughing at you implying Sony started some camera motion control trend. Again, if they started a trend, then why was it 7 years later before someone else tried camera motion controls? Why did their own Eyetoy only see like 24 games designed for it in over 5 years? Meanwhile there are already over 110 games that require the Kinect. The only trend that matters here is Nintendo and the motion control trend. Sony didn't start anything.

Sony never put huge emphasis on the Eyetoy because they saw motion controls as a secondary way to game. They were never happy with sole camera based gaming which they deemed inaccurate, so R&D went to work on the Move in 2004. I am not rambling, you just like to discredit Sony every chance you can get. If I was rambling you wouldn't be writing as much as you are. Stop using Nintendo as a crutch, Nintendo gained the intended market, but Sony put zero marketing muscle behind their motion controls. It blew up in their face when their same essential product was used by Microsoft with major marketing and had a positive public reaction. 

Yes Allard, you're correct, Sony was never the first to majorly start camera motion controls on a major console. I bow down to your bias.

When you provide the source, no one wants any part of it. Its the saddest thing I've ever seen. 

@Mutantclown
I'm doing the cloud thing right now. Any songs or movies I download are available on every Win8 device I own through the cloud. I don't need to redownload on every device. It will be the same with the Xbox One.

Well ... nothing at this point. I considered getting an Xbox since the majority of my friends from high school and college play on the X360 (exclusively). I expected them to continue with the Xbox One and as a result I would get the system to play with them. However, since the reveal (and E3) they've decided to go the PS4/Wii U route, and some have already purchased Vitas to connect with the PS4. With that said, I have no reason to get one unless they do, and I get the sense they won't bother with one until it is cheap and undergone a redesign.

I'm content with the PS3, PSV, PS4, 3DS and Wii U, so in this sense I'm glad my friends are not 'jumping in'.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Honestly for me I'm not gonna forget so easily what Microsoft tried to do, and I will be buying a PS4 first, but the question is will I buy a X1 later?  

Well first of all they need to drop the price and get rid of that Skynet box, I'm hoping the PS4 stomps them and they have no choice but to not make it required because that is bullshit.  I honestly can't believe they are forcing people to buy kinect 2.0 when they don't even want it, if they really think its the future and its gonna drastically improve the gaming experience then they should be taking the hit on it, make it a major selling point by saying we have this and our competitor doesn't and we won't charge you extra.  Honestly I think they could easily do it, with all the rumours about the X1 being weaker, therefore we know it cost less to make and I know Sony is making a $25-50 profit on every PS4, I don't think its asking too much of Microsoft to sell the console and kinect at $400.

I'm not gonna say make online free, because I know live is a major revenue string for them and without it, it would be hard for them to turn a profit, I understand that, but they need to start offering more free games like Sony does.  I know they started offering 2 games a month, but that is not enough, Sony offers 15+ games a month and Microsoft offers 2...Some people are gonna make the agurment, well well with XBOX you own your games with PS you just get to play them for a month.  Honestly think about it which is better 2 games a month you own or 15+ games you get to play...

I will say I credit Microsoft for investing more money into actual games.  I think they said they invested 1 billion dollars and I give them all the credit in the world for that.  Although I kinda wish they actually made their own first party games instead of just buying third party ones.  I hope they keep that up and its not just at the start to win early adopters. 

What do you guys think?  What did I miss and what do you want to add?

What do they need to do? Get Chris Seavor back and make Conker 2.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Slimebeast said:

Microsoft is finished in the console business. They will never recover from this.

In 3 years when the sales have scraped the bottom or too long Microsoft will realize this and start to downsize their gaming division. From then on we will start to see less and less exclusives.

In 7 years from now the last Microsoft console will be produced.

Honestly IMO Xbox is bad for the gaming industry AND Microsoft.

1) MS consistently holds back innovation by bullying devs into holding back certain things on other platforms to make Xbox look good.

2) MS is still billions of dollars in the RED from the original Xbox while the 360 has just about broke even.  Microsoft needs to refocus their gaming energy into Windows before Mac and Linux become just as viable of a gaming platform.  WIndows is where MS makes money and creates good products, not Xbox.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]