By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U's Third-Party Concerns Are Brushed Off By 3DS

badgenome said:

The problem is that Nintendo doesn't seem to have a hard time creating handheld games in a timely manner. But they already struggled to create enough software for the Wii, and the Wii U being HD only complicates matters.

So the Wii U is unlikely to stage a 3DS style comeback, especially with the PS4 and some other console lurking right around the corner.

that's like deja vu for 2011. don't consider it's 100% sure the other consoles will just release and be huge sucessess becuase that's only a slight possibility (for ps4, i think there's 0 chance of xone doing great right off the bat).

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Play4Fun said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Zero999 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Sorry but no, any argument that compares the Wii-U with the handheld 3DS is pointless. GBA ended up selling 80m+ aswell while Gamecube ended up below 25m. There are no signs off Wii-U sales picking up(there are getting lower every week while i thought 30 a week would be the bottom) and any boost it would normally get in the holiday's we be mostly offset by the launch of the PS4 and Xone.

No signs besides the tons of games coming soon right? by the same logic I could say there's no sign ps4 and xone sales are picking up since week after week their sales number is still 0. weekly sales of a drought period like this are SUPOSED to stay low, they're not any parameter for the future.

You mean something like what released for the Gamecube? And these are all games that launched in 2001 or 2002, compare that to Wii-U games launching in 2012 and 2013:

Wii U had a good lineup for the rest of this year and you don't know the full lineup for 2014, so I don't  know what that list is supposed to prove.

My point is that even if there are a lot of games releasing for Wii-U sales will not be much higer than Gamecube's since that system received a lot of software aswell. This topic suggests the possibility that Wii-U sales will pick up drastically like 3DS did but you can't compare consoles and handhelds.

And you can't compare Wii U and a console from 12 years ago. By your logic, just because gamecube sold poorly, all nintendo consoles are bound to have the same fate. Also, ps3 received the same franchises as the ps2 and haven't even sold half the ps2 numbers.

All Nintendo consoles ARE bound to the same fate, unless it has an attractive new function like the motion controls of the Wii. The Wii-U's tablet controller doesn't have that appeal, it has even less 3rd party support than other systems before it and it is higher priced. There is nothing that can make the Wii-U sell massively, the Wii was the exception not the rule.

badgenome said:
sethnintendo said:

Also, your PS4 right around corner reminds me of the PSV around the corner when 3DS was struggling.

It shouldn't. The PS4 will have games.

Will it? the launch window doesn't seem to be atractive enough for many non diehard fans to upgrade imediately. we have to wait and see.

AnthonyW86 said:
Zero999 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

My point is that even if there are a lot of games releasing for Wii-U sales will not be much higer than Gamecube's since that system received a lot of software aswell. This topic suggests the possibility that Wii-U sales will pick up drastically like 3DS did but you can't compare consoles and handhelds.

And you can't compare Wii U and a console from 12 years ago. By your logic, just because gamecube sold poorly, all nintendo consoles are bound to have the same fate. Also, ps3 received the same franchises as the ps2 and haven't even sold half the ps2 numbers.

All Nintendo consoles ARE bound to the same fate, unless it has an attractive new function like the motion controls of the Wii. The Wii-U's tablet controller doesn't have that appeal, it has even less 3rd party support than other systems before it and it is higher priced. There is nothing that can make the Wii-U sell massively, the Wii was the exception not the rule.

NOW you said what I wanted and lost any credibility. it's that typical arrogance that I hate the most: So you think Nintendo's consoles any chance of suceeding is doing something unique and groundbreaking, while the other consoles don't have to do a thing to sell well.

No matter what you think or say, consoles are equals by themselves, it's the games that matter. it's always been and will always be like that.

Zero999 said:

Will it? the launch window doesn't seem to be atractive enough for many non diehard fans to upgrade imediately. we have to wait and see.

Do you doubt that it will with all the major publishers are going to be targeting PS4 and Xbone going forward while even traditional Nintendo backers like Ubi are saying they will support the Wii U "if it makes sense"? I don't see how it's even in question.

Sony still has Gamescom and TGS to announce more launch titles, but even if they don't, it's not about getting people to upgrade immediately. It's about the fact that PS4 will be literally drowning in third party support for years to come in the same way that the Vita wasn't and the Wii U won't be. Nintendo is going to have to make all of its own breaks to stage any sort of turn around for the Wii U, while Sony is going to be the recepient of tons of games no matter what they do.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Zero999 said:
AnthonyW86 said:

NOW you said what I wanted and lost any credibility. it's that typical arrogance that I hate the most: So you think Nintendo's consoles any chance of suceeding is doing something unique and groundbreaking, while the other consoles don't have to do a thing to sell well.

No matter what you think or say, consoles are equals by themselves, it's the games that matter. it's always been and will always be like that.

Says the guy that has been on these forums for two months... And maybe you should check those charts for a minute, Wii-U selling just over 20k a week. Even the PS3 sold 60k a week in the same timeframe at $599 and with no big software either. You want to compare to 3DS so bad? 80k a week in the same timeframe.

And consoles are not equal, they appeal to a certain part of the market. And most people that are interested in COD, Assasin's creed, GTA will not buy a Nintendo console.

happydolphin said:
Nintendo doesn't compete with the PS and XB on traditional terms, never have and never will. Nintendo have a market that is all to them, which they rarely ever share with the other two. The most they've shared is during the PSX and PS2 years when the mainstream went Sony due to Nintendo's own fuckups, and then this gen with Kinect and the Move showing true competition to Nintendo, but even then. Nintendo knows how to make games for their market and that will never change.

There is nothing in the U that makes it a me-too console. It looks to be a Wii+ experience, from Nintendo's point of view they are going after the Wii market and the 3DS market, from the perspective of 3rd parties it's a whole mixed bag.

If the 3DS is an indicator of anything, it's that the new direction (breadth and depth) is a winning formula. So sorry for the haters. The software that Nintendo is pumping for the U is very similar to that of the 3DS: games that are reasonable in dev time, put enjoyment first and don't take themselves too seriously. This is also the 3DS' advantage. 3rd party exclusives for the 3DS also are part of the sharpness of its sword. Once Nintendo proves the U it will see the same favor from the likes of Atlus and Capcom.

So it bodes well for the U. The only way this wouldn't work is if 3rd party devs treat the U as something it is not: e.g. a hardcore console. The U is there for Nintendo exclusives which put enjoyment first. 3rd parties had best follow suit.

Nintendo competes directly with sony and microsoft, always have, always will. AND besides that, they do have a market of their own that the others can't seem to touch wich is different than saying that's all nintendo have.

Very well written OP. Thanks for that.

But I concur that you can't compare the handheld market to the home console market. Nintendo's handhelds have always done very well while their home consoles have always lagged far behind (except Wii but Wii was an exception because of the novelty of motion controls).

3DS is also benefiting from the complete collapse of the PSP/Vita market (still alive in JP) it's only direct competitor. Nintendo's style of game play has always suited mobile gaming better than Sony's style/western games. On home consoles it's largely the reverse - at least for the single player experience. Wii extracted itself from that by focusing on family gaming, to huge success, but WiiU is back to a focus on single player to it's great disadvantage.

Regardless, I don't think anyone denies WiiU's fortunes will rise once the great games start flowing but without Wii's broad appeal. Logically it will then perform comparable to Nintendo's other previous home consoles (albeit with less 3rd party support) not comparable to Nintendo's handhelds.

badgenome said:
Zero999 said:

Do you doubt that it will with all the major publishers are going to be targeting PS4 and Xbone going forward while even traditional Nintendo backers like Ubi are saying they will support the Wii U "if it makes sense"? I don't see how it's even in question.

Sony still has Gamescom and TGS to announce more launch titles, but even if they don't, it's not about getting people to upgrade immediately. It's about the fact that PS4 will be literally drowning in third party support for years to come in the same way that the Vita wasn't and the Wii U won't be. Nintendo is going to have to make all of its own breaks to stage any sort of turn around for the Wii U, while Sony is going to be the recepient of tons of games no matter what they do.

bolded: crystal ball assumption.

and sony will have to fight for this market. if people don't upgrade imediately then it will take a while for games to actually start selling decently on ps4. And a nintendo with third party multiplatforms is a tremendous force to be reckoned. things will look clearer a year from now.

sethnintendo said:
badgenome said:

The problem is that Nintendo doesn't seem to have a hard time creating handheld games in a timely manner. But they already struggled to create enough software for the Wii, and the Wii U being HD only complicates matters.

So the Wii U is unlikely to stage a 3DS style comeback, especially with the PS4 and some other console lurking right around the corner.

3DS had a price cut along with release of MK7 and SM3DL to fuel its resurgence. Wii U will probably get a $50 price drop along with SM3DW, MK8, Smash, and a few other of their IPs (Pikmin, Wii Fit, etc) soon. Only time will tell. Also, your PS4 right around corner reminds me of the PSV around the corner when 3DS was struggling. Home and hand helds can't be directly compared but there is some correlation.

There's a lot of correlation because in both cases the haters think it's a given that the other consoles will do wonders out of the gate.