By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do people bother? (wall of text)

JOKA_ said:
sales2099 said:
So much to say on this. First I have to ask how old you are. Because your age and where you are in life right now can impact your viewpoint.

I work 2 jobs, one at a administrative position at a University and another as a department lead/forklift driver for a warehouse wholesale store for a total of 70 hours per week. The 3 nights I have off per week I spend with my very supportive girlfriend. Sometimes I spend two nights a week with her because I spend the third with my friends. Family time is restricted to the 20 minutes when I come home from 11:30 - 11:50. I sleep and my day repeats all over again.

I have a $520 000 house with a combined $3000 per month mortgage/loan payments. Bills are a lot and I work alot but I do it because I chose this lifestyle and i will do whatever it takes to maintain it. My choice. I could only work one job and get a basement apartment or even a cheap condo. But I want better things and therefore I am willing to sacrifice a lot of free time to earn my ideal lifestyle. Also to provide for my future family.

Complaining about capitalism, government, what's wrong in the world, etc. gets you nowhere. Just placing blame on things that aren't yourself. The world ain't fair and you have to stop whining and start adapting. Try living in a 3rd world country....THAT'S suffering. Your spoiled and you don't even know it with more opportunities then you know exist.

Questioning going on, that is what really bothers me. We don't all people stuck in a endless cycle of work just kill themselves? We go on for the good things. Raising a family and watching them grow, connecting with family, friends, and other loved ones. No matter how much I work, I always find the time, no matter how little, to enjoy the little things like gaming and just going out for a drink.

The first thing you have to change is your outlook. This isn't a utopian society, you have to earn your way in this world. I am currently typing this while working at my university job. I'm good at multitasking this; I answered and helped 7 students while typing this. If you aren't working at a job right now, I suggest getting to work.

Wow bravo.  Great post.  I secretly disagree with you on many game related subjects, but god I love this post.  Keep it up man.

What? For not listening and saying the same crap you hear from anyone? You realize that I thoroughly went through why this is wrong, right? Oh wait, you didn't because you don't read or even want to listen to the opposing argument. You want to hear what you want to hear. That's nice. 

People who work for family do so due to their own feelings of commitment. They'll throw their own expectations on their children and act as if they're superior because they've worked for the child and therefore the child owes them something. So really, there is no altruistic love. You're working to pidgeonhole an innocent child into commitments they never asked for because they were born from your own stupid commitments.

So don't act like you're special, or more moral, or doing the right thing, or somehow superior because you have 'work ethic'. You're just self-deluded and throwing your own bitter feelings and stress on someone who never asked for it and had no choice.

Oh boohoo, third world countries. As if that has anything to do with the argument and my comparisons with Super-capitalism, better known as Fascism and how it literally drove people to kill others because they were afraid that Jews were stealing their jobs. But hey, go on and act like you're some good guy who must never have any negative feelings and will be blessed with magic land when you die.  

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

You sound like a great candidate to support a movement like this: http://www.thevenusproject.com/

While I have developed a profound hatred of capitalism. That isn't the answer. You cannot change war because you cannot change self-identities and how much land that exists in this world. Property ownership and what you identify yourself as determine how you perceive yourself to the point that you won't realize it most times because you're so use to it. It's part of herd mentality and entirely natural. 

Mr Khan said:
oldschoolfool said:
This thread is like reading,something that I would write. I'm personally just going through the motions,until I die. I've worked at walmart neighborhood market for 12 years and hate every bit of it. I always act like I care,but that's just to hide the pain of working there. I'll probably have to work until they day I die,which can't be soon enough,as far as I'm concerned. I've been single all my life,so I get paid enough,were I can pay all my bills and have alittle spending money,but all that seems pointless lately. I don't really have any friends. Nobody really cares. Movies and video games are my only joy and escape from this sad world that I live in. Nothing really means anything.

Like my advice to the OP: you should make a plan. If you've got money set aside, go to a technical school part-time. An Associate's degree in Accounting, for instance, could get you into a better job and you could get it decently quickly (18-24 months). A better job could give you more confidence, and thus fix some of your social problems.

Some of your options might be a little ugly, especially in the short term, but there's always a path to self-betterment.

Mhm, part of the reason is that I'm sick of low level jobs. I just want a more pro-active role where I'm actually in a leading position. I absolutely hate the idea of working 10-15 years or even 5-7 years before moving up in the world to a better position. I want it in 1-2 years because I'm sick of jobs where I have to take crap from others.

tiffac said:
Your a door to door salesman? Man I feel bad for you, I was a Sales Account agent over the phone and my boss would always tell me "Do onto others, what good service you want to be done to you". Sounds good right? Only he meant sell them all the add ons and warranty that the customer may not need or does not have enough money for. Hey! There is credit card he says.

Suffice to say after 2 yrs I quit that and became a Customer Support agent for a gaming company. Which generates less income but is far more fun than being a sales guy.

Yup, sounds like capitalism at it's finest. Forgoing quality for sales and forgetting integrity entirely. 

PhoenixKing said:
JOKA_ said:
sales2099 said:
 -- Trimming the tree--

Wow bravo.  Great post.  I secretly disagree with you on many game related subjects, but god I love this post.  Keep it up man.

What? For not listening and saying the same crap you hear from anyone? You realize that I thoroughly went through why this is wrong, right? Oh wait, you didn't because you don't read or even want to listen to the opposing argument. You want to hear what you want to hear. That's nice. 

People who work for family do so due to their own feelings of commitment. They'll throw their own expectations on their children and act as if they're superior because they've worked for the child and therefore the child owes them something. So really, there is no altruistic love. You're working to pidgeonhole an innocent child into commitments they never asked for because they were born from your own stupid commitments.

So don't act like you're special, or more moral, or doing the right thing, or somehow superior because you have 'work ethic'. You're just self-deluded and throwing your own bitter feelings and stress on someone who never asked for it and had no choice.

Oh boohoo, third world countries. As if that has anything to do with the argument and my comparisons with Super-capitalism, better known as Fascism and how it literally drove people to kill others because they were afraid that Jews were stealing their jobs. But hey, go on and act like you're some good guy who must never have any negative feelings and will be blessed with magic land when you die.  

I agree with his whole post, but if I were to highlight one line it would be "We go on for the good things."  You have to figure out what your "good things" are and work for that reason.  Be it movies, family, games, nature, drawing, what have you.  You go to work, put in your time, and spend your time off.  Thats just the way it is.

I have a good job that I work at for about 45 hours a week, plus 15 hours of commuting a week.  I get about 4 hours a day total in free time, and weekeneds.  With that free time I also need to do errands, clean the house, pay bills, etc.  I don't have a lot of free time (clearly sales2099 has less), but in exchange I get money that I can spend on my "good things".

You clearly don't like this system/don't think its working, so how you would you rather society function?

Also, I feel like your posts/this whole thread is somewhat hinting at suicide ("Why do people bother" - "Might as well get out early") so I would just say if you are super depressed with life maybe seek out a pro that can help you talk this stuff out.  (That wasn't sarcasm or a put down)

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

DP

Around the Network
PhoenixKing said:
HesAPooka said:
That's why it's important to find a job in a field you love. No point in spending a large chunk of your life in a field you hate over money.

Yeah, I thought the same but... how long before I get bored? How long before I hate it? Or worst of all, how long before I feel like I've accomplished my fill and don't know what to do next? I'm not even sure if it would be a mistake and a waste of a majority of my lifetime on this planet. 

What do you want from life?

Do you want a job which "takes up your time" or do you want to do things you like? I know how you feel about low end jobs, I used to have one, so quit, find something better. Maybe the best you can hope for is a cashier at GameStop, or the grocery store, but hey, that's not bad.

Maybe instead of thinking about kids, you should think about yourself. a) talk to someone real, b) do what you want to do.

All I want to do i play video games, and chill with my girlfriend, and for the most part I do that, so I'm happy. Find what makes you happy, and do it. Maybe you'll become a different person, maybe you'll become something you like.

---

that or get an account on plenty of fish and literally f*** your problems away lol. Maybe you'll find out who you are then? Why is sex always the answer?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

PhoenixKing said:

Mhm, part of the reason is that I'm sick of low level jobs. I just want a more pro-active role where I'm actually in a leading position. I absolutely hate the idea of working 10-15 years or even 5-7 years before moving up in the world to a better position. I want it in 1-2 years because I'm sick of jobs where I have to take crap from others.

That's where you differ from others. Some people respect the fact that they have to struggle through several years of low-level jobs and/or schooling before getting into a more satisfying position. And for those that don't respect it, they accept it and deal with it, since the world is inherently unfair; complaining about it is a pointless waste of energy. So they do what they can because they find that the other beauties of life is a fair exchange for their dissatisfaction with their job. Perhaps you don't agree with this mindset, but at least now you know why some people "bother." I hope that answers your question.

PhoenixKing said:
JOKA_ said:
sales2099 said:

-snip-

The irony and hypocrisy of this post is baffling. First you say this:

PhoenixKing said:

Then you go and say this:

PhoenixKing said:

...snip....

and will be blessed with magic land when you die.  

First, you scorn someone for "not listening" and for saying only what the person wants to hear. Then, in the same post, you exercise that very behavior.

Where are you getting any evidence that the poster above you works for family "due to his own feelings of self commitment"? Or that he will "pidgenhole an innocent child into commitments." Nowhere does he even imply that he will throw his stress on anyone else. Nor does the post reveal that he acts like some good guy who "will be blessed with magic land" when he dies, since he never even mentioned religion. Clearly you are just making shit up here.

OR you're speaking for all people "work for family." If that's the case then you're problem is even worse. It's a blatant generalization and a false one, too. I have no idea where you got these assumptions from. Since you have nothing to back up these generalizations and/or assertions about the person you quoted, I can only guess you are saying this because "you want to hear what you want to hear", which is literally the exact behavior you condemned earlier. 

Please, if you are going to criticize people, at least make some sort of sense when you do it.

The world isn't fair. There isn't a 'system' in the world that actually is capable of balancing everything out, blaming capitalism which has easily been the most successful system to date seems utterly retarded to me.

Ideally, everyone should just co-exist and the guy picking up the garbage is the same as the guy who performs brain surgery or the guy who lays bricks for the house. Everyone could fulfill a role and would be equals. The problem is and always will be that we all know that the three positions and the requirements to perform the jobs aren't the same. For example, 90% of people on the planet could probably 'pick up garbage but only 5% might be able to perform brain surgery.

Capitalism has plenty of flaws, but the reason why capitalism works is the ability to have mobility in your personal career path, the ability to become a creator or a producer rather than just another cog in the wheel. Create your own business, create your own ideas, make your own way.

Rpruett said:
The world isn't fair. There isn't a 'system' in the world that actually is capable of balancing everything out, blaming capitalism which has easily been the most successful system to date seems utterly retarded to me.

Ideally, everyone should just co-exist and the guy picking up the garbage is the same as the guy who performs brain surgery or the guy who lays bricks for the house. Everyone could fulfill a role and would be equals. The problem is and always will be that we all know that the three positions and the requirements to perform the jobs aren't the same. For example, 90% of people on the planet could probably 'pick up garbage but only 5% might be able to perform brain surgery.

Capitalism has plenty of flaws, but the reason why capitalism works is the ability to have mobility in your personal career path, the ability to become a creator or a producer rather than just another cog in the wheel. Create your own business, create your own ideas, make your own way.

That doesn't work. When the economy goes down, there's too few opportunities and jobs out there and the entire expanse goes down too. This is why we had the Great Depression and the more recent market crash. It scares the entire herd because they know it effects them too.