By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do people bother? (wall of text)

Jay520 said:
PhoenixKing said:
JOKA_ said:
sales2099 said:

Wow bravo.  Great post.  I secretly disagree with you on many game related subjects, but god I love this post.  Keep it up man.

-snip-

The irony and hypocrisy of this post is baffling. First you say this:

PhoenixKing said:

What? For not listening and saying the same crap you hear from anyone? You realize that I thoroughly went through why this is wrong, right? Oh wait, you didn't because you don't read or even want to listen to the opposing argument. You want to hear what you want to hear. That's nice. 

Then you go and say this:

PhoenixKing said:

People who work for family do so due to their own feelings of commitment. They'll throw their own expectations on their children and act as if they're superior because they've worked for the child and therefore the child owes them something. So really, there is no altruistic love. You're working to pidgeonhole an innocent child into commitments they never asked for because they were born from your own stupid commitments. 

So don't act like you're special, or more moral, or doing the right thing, or somehow superior because you have 'work ethic'. You're just self-deluded and throwing your own bitter feelings and stress on someone who never asked for it and had no choice.

...snip....

and will be blessed with magic land when you die.  

First, you scorn someone for "not listening" and for saying only what the person wants to hear. Then, in the same post, you exercise that very behavior.

Where are you getting any evidence that the poster above you works for family "due to his own feelings of self commitment"? Or that he will "pidgenhole an innocent child into commitments." Nowhere does he even imply that he will throw his stress on anyone else. Nor does the post reveal that he acts like some good guy who "will be blessed with magic land" when he dies, since he never even mentioned religion. Clearly you are just making shit up here.

OR you're speaking for all people "work for family." If that's the case then you're problem is even worse. It's a blatant generalization and a false one, too. I have no idea where you got these assumptions from. Since you have nothing to back up these generalizations and/or assertions about the person you quoted, I can only guess you are saying this because "you want to hear what you want to hear", which is literally the exact behavior you condemned earlier. 

Please, if you are going to criticize people, at least make some sort of sense when you do it.

Taking my statements out of context, implying I'm suicidal, and ignoring the part where he says Family, which is clearly a commitment isn't going to make me value your opinion. You act like I'm being a hypocrite but it seems you didn't read his post at all. 

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
PhoenixKing said:

Oh, yes, you're probably thinking something about God or family. I doubt God's existence because the more I think about religion, the more it seems like a way for the rich to control the poor. That's exactly what happens when religion blends with politics and many of the employees I met at Walmart had the idea that they needed to work until they died in the future at such a terrible job. Whether for their kids, or self-doubt, or both, it doesn't matter. Faith provides the perfect "happy magic everything is worth it" garbage idealism necessary to exploit others. And that's what capitalism is all about, exploiting everyone until they're dead. 

No, don't give up on seeking God.

Jesus said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.
(Matthew 19:24)

Not for me, thanks. 

PhoenixKing said:
Rpruett said:
The world isn't fair. There isn't a 'system' in the world that actually is capable of balancing everything out, blaming capitalism which has easily been the most successful system to date seems utterly retarded to me.

Ideally, everyone should just co-exist and the guy picking up the garbage is the same as the guy who performs brain surgery or the guy who lays bricks for the house. Everyone could fulfill a role and would be equals. The problem is and always will be that we all know that the three positions and the requirements to perform the jobs aren't the same. For example, 90% of people on the planet could probably 'pick up garbage but only 5% might be able to perform brain surgery.

Capitalism has plenty of flaws, but the reason why capitalism works is the ability to have mobility in your personal career path, the ability to become a creator or a producer rather than just another cog in the wheel. Create your own business, create your own ideas, make your own way.

That doesn't work. When the economy goes down, there's too few opportunities and jobs out there and the entire expanse goes down too. This is why we had the Great Depression and the more recent market crash. It scares the entire herd because they know it effects them too. 

You got a chance to check out those video's? It's actually from the starters of the Venus Project but you don't have to agree with that solution, it is still interesting to watch. I think it will allow you to reflect on some things since you seem to give a lot of thought on the corrupted, wasting system we call ''an economy''.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKX9TWRyfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex8U_4rJn4s

PhoenixKing said:
JOKA_ said:

sales2099 said:

"Post consisting of real sacrifice and hard work to make your way in this world which you should totally take to heart"

Wow bravo.  Great post.  I secretly disagree with you on many game related subjects, but god I love this post.  Keep it up man.

What? For not listening and saying the same crap you hear from anyone? You realize that I thoroughly went through why this is wrong, right? Oh wait, you didn't because you don't read or even want to listen to the opposing argument. You want to hear what you want to hear. That's nice. 

People who work for family do so due to their own feelings of commitment. They'll throw their own expectations on their children and act as if they're superior because they've worked for the child and therefore the child owes them something. So really, there is no altruistic love. You're working to pidgeonhole an innocent child into commitments they never asked for because they were born from your own stupid commitments.

So don't act like you're special, or more moral, or doing the right thing, or somehow superior because you have 'work ethic'. You're just self-deluded and throwing your own bitter feelings and stress on someone who never asked for it and had no choice.

Oh boohoo, third world countries. As if that has anything to do with the argument and my comparisons with Super-capitalism, better known as Fascism and how it literally drove people to kill others because they were afraid that Jews were stealing their jobs. But hey, go on and act like you're some good guy who must never have any negative feelings and will be blessed with magic land when you die.  

I thought I thoroughly went through why your method of complaining about things beyond your control and having a glass-half-empty mindset is only going to negatively impact the rest of your life. Also that the point is to work for the good things in life, no matter how much or little time you make for it.Seeing your response to Jay, you clearly want to have a "pity party"....only hearing others who agree with you and are unwilling to hear people tell you to do better.

I said I work to provide for my future family. No sense of commitment. Only the notion to give them a comfortable life that I feel they deserve. I wouldn't push my work ethic on my future kids and would never use my jobs as a arguing point against my kids. What a ludicrous thought and how dare you assume I would share that mindset.

I am not more special or moral. But I will say I do what I can in this world to give myself and my loved ones a good life. Complaining gets you nowhere. I keep any stress to myself and never take it out on others because they don't deserve it and it is my choice and therefore all on me. I also never mentioned religion. You just assumed I will be a dick to my kids and work hard because I will go to heaven when I die. Sorry, but it is really quite simple: I work alot to provide for the ones I love. Nothing more. "Boohoo 3rd world countries". wow.......talk about taking things for granted.

I noticed you mentioend origionally you worked as a paralegal and now work as a door to door salesman. Thats quite a career shift. Now I can't know what caused this......problem with authority? But clearly you had something and lost it. Makes me wonder if your outlook/attitude had something to do with it. If so.....it pays to be nice to your superiors. Otherwise, you tend to look for other jobs......

"You realize that I thoroughly went through why this is wrong, right?" Oh because to me you don't sound happier, more successful, and with a better outlook on life? Please re-evaluate your definition of "wrong". Don't mean to sound superior, but that comment you said in the face of me genuinely trying to talk to you did prompt me to say this.

In the end, my story did have a moral: work towards a greater goal and change your damn outlook.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
PhoenixKing said:
JOKA_ said:

sales2099 said:

"Post consisting of real sacrifice and hard work to make your way in this world which you should totally take to heart"

Oh boohoo, third world countries. As if that has anything to do with the argument and my comparisons with Super-capitalism, better known as Fascism and how it literally drove people to kill others because they were afraid that Jews were stealing their jobs. But hey, go on and act like you're some good guy who must never have any negative feelings and will be blessed with magic land when you die.  

I thought I thoroughly went through why your method of complaining about things beyond your control and having a glass-half-empty mindset is only going to negatively impact the rest of your life. Also that the point is to work for the good things in life, no matter how much or little time you make for it.Seeing your response to Jay, you clearly want to have a "pity party"....only hearing others who agree with you and are unwilling to hear people tell you to do better.

I said I work to provide for my future family. No sense of commitment. Only the notion to give them a comfortable life that I feel they deserve. I wouldn't push my work ethic on my future kids and would never use my jobs as a arguing point against my kids. What a ludicrous thought and how dare you assume I would share that mindset.

I am not more special or moral. But I will say I do what I can in this world to give myself and my loved ones a good life. Complaining gets you nowhere. I keep any stress to myself and never take it out on others because they don't deserve it and it is my choice and therefore all on me. I also never mentioned religion. You just assumed I will be a dick to my kids and work hard because I will go to heaven when I die. Sorry, but it is really quite simple: I work alot to provide for the ones I love. Nothing more. "Boohoo 3rd world countries". wow.......talk about taking things for granted.

I noticed you mentioend origionally you worked as a paralegal and now work as a door to door salesman. Thats quite a career shift. Now I can't know what caused this......problem with authority? But clearly you had something and lost it. Makes me wonder if your outlook/attitude had something to do with it. If so.....it pays to be nice to your superiors. Otherwise, you tend to look for other jobs......

"You realize that I thoroughly went through why this is wrong, right?" Oh because to me you don't sound happier, more successful, and with a better outlook on life? Please re-evaluate your definition of "wrong". Don't mean to sound superior, but that comment you said in the face of me genuinely trying to talk to you did prompt me to say this.

In the end, my story did have a moral: work towards a greater goal and change your damn outlook.

And yet it was nihilists and haters like George Washington, John Locke, Abraham Lincoln, Nikolai Tesla, and Albert Einstein who made the greatest changes to improve upon prosperity and lifestyle. Funny that. 

Around the Network

PhoenixKing said:

Taking my statements out of context, implying I'm suicidal, and ignoring the part where he says Family, which is clearly a commitment isn't going to make me value your opinion. You act like I'm being a hypocrite but it seems you didn't read his post at all. 

Again, you are 100% wrong. 

1. I never implied you were suicidal.

2. Just because he says "family", doesn't mean he does it out of commitment. He could do it because he loves his family, which he clarified later.

3. I didn't take anything you said out of context. For your convenience, I will post your earlier post here and respond to every piece of what you said:

PhoenixKing said:

Fair enough. You have a problem with people who didn't listen and just hear what they want to hear.

People who work for family do so due to their own feelings of commitment. False. He never said he worked for his family due to his own commitment. He later clarified that he is doing it because he has a geniune want to see them happy. You are not listening. They'll throw their own expectations on their children and act as if they're superior because they've worked for the child and therefore the child owes them something. False. He never said he would throw his expectations on his family. You are not listening. So really, there is no altruistic love. Flawed conclusion. You're working to pidgeonhole an innocent child into commitments they never asked for because they were born from your own stupid commitments. False. He never said he would pidgenhole any child into any commitments. You are not listening.

So don't act like you're special, or more moral, or doing the right thing, or somehow superior because you have 'work ethic'. False. He didn't say he was special or more moral. He was answering your fucking question. You wanted to know why people bother, and he answered because it's a fair exchange for the better things in life. You're just self-deluded and throwing your own bitter feelings and stress on someone who never asked for it and had no choice. False. You are not listening. You have no reason to believe he is throwing any of his feelings and stress on anyone else. You are not listening.

Oh boohoo, third world countries. As if that has anything to do with the argument and my comparisons with Super-capitalism, better known as Fascism and how it literally drove people to kill others because they were afraid that Jews were stealing their jobs. But hey, go on and act like you're some good guy who must never have any negative feelings and will be blessed with magic land when you die.  False. He never implied that he will be blessed with magic land when he died. You are not listening

My responses are in bold.

4. As I have proven above, you do not listen. Therefore, you are a hypocrite.

Jay520 said:

PhoenixKing said:

Again, you are 100% wrong. 

1. I never implied you were suicidal.

2. Just because he says "family", doesn't mean he does it out of commitment. He could do it because he loves his family, which he clarified later.

3. I didn't take anything you said out of context. For your convenience, I will post your earlier post here and respond to every piece of what you said:

PhoenixKing said:

Fair enough. You have a problem with people who didn't listen and just hear what they want to hear.

People who work for family do so due to their own feelings of commitment. False. He never said he worked for his family due to his own commitment. He later clarified that he is doing it because he has a geniune want to see them happy. You are not listening. They'll throw their own expectations on their children and act as if they're superior because they've worked for the child and therefore the child owes them something. False. He never said he would throw his expectations on his family. You are not listening. So really, there is no altruistic love. Flawed conclusion. You're working to pidgeonhole an innocent child into commitments they never asked for because they were born from your own stupid commitments. False. He never said he would pidgenhole any child into any commitments. You are not listening.

So don't act like you're special, or more moral, or doing the right thing, or somehow superior because you have 'work ethic'. False. He didn't say he was special or more moral. He was answering your fucking question. You wanted to know why people bother, and he answered because it's a fair exchange for the better things in life. You're just self-deluded and throwing your own bitter feelings and stress on someone who never asked for it and had no choice. False. You are not listening. You have no reason to believe he is throwing any of his feelings and stress on anyone else. You are not listening.

Oh boohoo, third world countries. As if that has anything to do with the argument and my comparisons with Super-capitalism, better known as Fascism and how it literally drove people to kill others because they were afraid that Jews were stealing their jobs. But hey, go on and act like you're some good guy who must never have any negative feelings and will be blessed with magic land when you die.  False. He never implied that he will be blessed with magic land when he died. You are not listening

4. As I have proven above, you do not listen. Therefore, you are a hypocrite.

If you love someone then you commit yourself to that person. It's the same thing. 

PhoenixKing said:

If you love someone then you commit yourself to that person. It's the same thing. 

If that's your definition of commitment, then sure. But if that's the case, there is nothing wrong with commitment. And your statement that "people who work for their family due so out of commitment" is meaningless since it's basically saying "people who work for their family due so out of love" which is fucking obvious.

Also, you have yet to respond to my proof that you are a hypocrite. Here, I'll leave your post here again.

PhoenixKing said:

People who work for family do so due to their own feelings of commitment. False. He never said he worked for his family due to his own commitment. He later clarified that he is doing it because he has a geniune want to see them happy. You are not listening. They'll throw their own expectations on their children and act as if they're superior because they've worked for the child and therefore the child owes them something. False. He never said he would throw his expectations on his family. You are not listening. So really, there is no altruistic love. Flawed conclusion. You're working to pidgeonhole an innocent child into commitments they never asked for because they were born from your own stupid commitments. False. He never said he would pidgenhole any child into any commitments. You are not listening.

So don't act like you're special, or more moral, or doing the right thing, or somehow superior because you have 'work ethic'. False. He didn't say he was special or more moral. He was answering your fucking question. You wanted to know why people bother, and he answered because it's a fair exchange for the better things in life. You're just self-deluded and throwing your own bitter feelings and stress on someone who never asked for it and had no choice. False. You are not listening. You have no reason to believe he is throwing any of his feelings and stress on anyone else. You are not listening.

I have proven that you do not listen. Therefore, you are a hypocrite.

Jay520 said:
PhoenixKing said:

If that's your definition of commitment, then sure. But if that's the case, there is nothing wrong with commitment. And your statement that "people who work for their family due so out of commitment" is meaningless since it's basically saying "people who work for their family due so out of love" which is fucking obvious.

Also, you have yet to respond to my proof that you are a hypocrite. Here, I'll leave your post here again.

PhoenixKing said:

People who work for family do so due to their own feelings of commitment. False. He never said he worked for his family due to his own commitment. He later clarified that he is doing it because he has a geniune want to see them happy. You are not listening. They'll throw their own expectations on their children and act as if they're superior because they've worked for the child and therefore the child owes them something. False. He never said he would throw his expectations on his family. You are not listening. So really, there is no altruistic love. Flawed conclusion. You're working to pidgeonhole an innocent child into commitments they never asked for because they were born from your own stupid commitments. False. He never said he would pidgenhole any child into any commitments. You are not listening.

So don't act like you're special, or more moral, or doing the right thing, or somehow superior because you have 'work ethic'. False. He didn't say he was special or more moral. He was answering your fucking question. You wanted to know why people bother, and he answered because it's a fair exchange for the better things in life. You're just self-deluded and throwing your own bitter feelings and stress on someone who never asked for it and had no choice. False. You are not listening. You have no reason to believe he is throwing any of his feelings and stress on anyone else. You are not listening.

I have proven that you do not listen. Therefore, you are a hypocrite.

What, you're an automated spam machine now?

PhoenixKing said:
sales2099 said:

And yet it was nihilists and haters like George Washington, John Locke, Abraham Lincoln, Nikolai Tesla, and Albert Einstein who made the greatest changes to improve upon prosperity and lifestyle. Funny that. 

That is a terrible response. Didn't address anything I said. Jay520 is only proving further how your own mindset is your worst enemy.

Change your outlook and find something positive to work toward. You are not those historic figures. It is like someone dropping out of college because Steve Jobs did it back in the day. I can tell you are not among those figures. Therefore your sentiment rings hollow.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.