By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Agree/disagree: Console games are generally of a higher standard than portable games

Which are generally better?

Console games 86 74.78%

Handheld games 29 25.22%

Total:115

Note: Does not include iOS or anything, just gaming handhelds versus home consoles.

Do you believe console games are generally better than their handheld cousins?

Around the Network

Console games are generally better, but their is something about a handheld that is nice. It's just more convenient, and I do believe some games are actually better suited for handhelds.

That being said, I generally enjoy console games more.

Depends on the genre really.

Games like FPS are better on consoles. Other games like Pokemon or Collectable card games, are better on handhelds.

Of course. Console games are bigger, deeper and more complex than handheld games.

More effort is put into console games, but I believe that handheld games are judged more harshly. Hence why you see so few 90%+ handheld games on websites like Metacritic.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

They have higher production values, and this translates to "better" for a lot of people.

Meanwhile I've been having more fun with handhelds recently. I own a 3DS (mostly play DS games), Wii, PS3, gaming PC.

Recently I've been enjoying my 3DS the most, but in general console games are better. That said I wouldn't trade my handheld for a console..

Console games have a $60 MSRP, portable games have a $40 MSRP. Only a fool would expect the cheaper portable to offer the same performance with a smaller market, hardware limited by batteries and ergonomics, and a lower price-point. It just doesn't work that way.

And this is coming from someone who spends more time with his PSP than the rest of his consoles combined.

Most developers don't put a ton of effort into portable games because gamers don't financially expect them to.

Yyyyyes...

In general they are. Though I do have a handheld game in my personal top 5 best games ever made.

totally depends on the game. Console games definitely better for your high quality, polished, cinematic games but as a JRPG fan i would prefer 99% of JRPGs to be on a handheld (i cant find 50+ hours in front of my TV for a JRPG)