By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - I will pay more money for a non-3D movie when watching it in theaters

I completely agree.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Animation seems to benefit from 3D. Live action movies do not.

The Great Gatsby 3D & Star Trek Into Darkness 3D & Jurassic Park 3D & R.I.P.D. 3D & Pacific Rim 3D & Iron Man 3 in IMAX 3D are freaking AWESOME.

JWeinCom said:
Animation seems to benefit from 3D. Live action movies do not.

Definitely not all animation.

While the annoying wave stuff in your face effects have finally disappeared (mostly), now there is a new trend to make it easier on your eyes. The action gets flattened and confined to the center, less depth of field effects and no things happening at or overlapping the edge of the frame. I rather watch animation made for 2D.

Live action suffers the same. Dredd looks weird in 2D, as if there is a border around the cgi effects. And artful editting is gone in favor of easy on the eyes 3D scenes. Movies kinda start to all look the same film technique wise.

that is the exact reason i never watch any films in 3D any more.
The only film that impressed me with 3D was How to Train your dragon....

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

3D is beeing forced in my area so i share the sentiment. I dont like it.

Around the Network

Thankfully 3D seems to be on the decline. Cinema's in my area are showing more and more 2D sessions and less 3D. 3D TV's are on the increase, but that is only because the better TV's also support 3D, I doubt many are buying them for that. Both my TV's support 3D, neither of them will ever have a 3D movie played on them, in fact I ebay'ed the set of glasses that came with them to get some of the money back for that useless feature.

disolitude said:

Just saw World War Z and while the movie was great, the 3D was not...

3D in theaters offers a darker screen since you're only getting half of the light to each eye, its out of focus unless you get good seats right in the middle and is absolutely not necessary for a movie like World war Z.

3D for gaming still has some merit and some movies do benefit from it, but why do over 50% of movies today have to utilize tacked on 3D I have no idea...

When is this 3D fad going to die? I've been fooling around with 3D since 2008 and at this point I will at this point pay a higher movie ticket premium to avoid 3D at all cost.

thing is  as far as i know there is no real hollywood movie completely shot in 3d most of the times its like 10% real 3d then added computer effects in 3d  and then shitty  tv-like   2d to 3d conversion. 

best 3d movies are still the animated ones.

"but why do over 50% of movies today have to utilize tacked on 3D I have no idea..."

3d brings customers  dumb mainstream drones that do whatever they are told to do  thats why.  the same people that made games so generic. there is even 2d-3d converted blurays with no 3 whatsoever and they buy them...

disolitude said:

3D in theaters offers a darker screen since you're only getting half of the light to each eye, its out of focus unless you get good seats right in the middle and is absolutely not necessary for a movie like World war Z.

3D for gaming still has some merit and some movies do benefit from it, but why do over 50% of movies today have to utilize tacked on 3D I have no idea...

When is this 3D fad going to die? I've been fooling around with 3D since 2008 and at this point I will at this point pay a higher movie ticket premium to avoid 3D at all cost.

3d for gaming is pretty much dead no?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

JazzB1987 said:
disolitude said:

thing is  as far as i know there is no real hollywood movie completely shot in 3d most of the times its like 10% real 3d then added computer effects in 3d  and then shitty  tv-like   2d to 3d conversion. 

best 3d movies are still the animated ones.

"but why do over 50% of movies today have to utilize tacked on 3D I have no idea..."

3d brings customers  dumb mainstream drones that do whatever they are told to do  thats why.  the same people that made games so generic. there is even 2d-3d converted blurays with no 3 whatsoever and they buy them...

Actually only Man if Steel & Star Trek Into Darkness & re-releases where converted from 2D to 3D this year.

G.I. Joe Retaliation was push back 9 months in its release date to be fully filmed in 3D. Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters 1 was fully recorded in 3D, and so was Great Gatsby and all the other new release this year, excluding Superman & Star Trek 2 which I already mentioned where converted from 2D , with 0% shot in 3D.

Re-releases are converted too, like "Independence Day" *Will Smith opens up alien space ship and says welcome to earth and knocks out the evil alien (LOL)*

In "Life of Pi" well most of this movie was shot in 2D but then the director decided to shot in 3D and that added $50 million more dollars to budget, because he went and re-shot the entire 2D parts all over again with 3D Cameras and then shot the rest of the movie in 3D also. So 100% of movies like Life if Oi & G.i. Joe 2 which are some of the movies you are referring to, where shot 100% in 3D, as well as those other semi shot in 2D movies which were done all over again from start to finish in 3D.

chapset said:
disolitude said:

3d for gaming is pretty much dead no?

It pretty much is. On PCs, Nvidia 3D vision supports has dried up and on consoles it was never worthwhile to begin with. The 3e capable monitors on PC are mostly used for fast twitch 2D gaming.

Here is the latest 3d monitor from asus, you wont even know its 3d unless you scroll all the way down...

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/