By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Today was the second half of the Zen 5 reviews, so:

AMD Ryzen 9 9950X and Ryzen 9 9900X Review Roundup
https://videocardz.com/184541/amd-ryzen-9-9950x-and-ryzen-9-9900x-review-roundup

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

All around meh when it comes to zen 5. Jensen needs to save us by providing worthy performance uplifts with 5xxx so we can talk about something.

I'll probably keep my 7800x3d and 4090 setup for a long time.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

All around meh when it comes to zen 5. Jensen needs to save us by providing worthy performance uplifts with 5xxx so we can talk about something.

From what I gather from discussions with some people who know more about chip design, is that Ryzen 9000 is probably very hampered by it's memory, as in:

1. the IO die being the same as for Zen 4
  2. The infinity fabric being at it's limit
  3. the internal memory buses for the caches, while having more throughput, also need longer to be filled because they are wider, causing some delays in operation.

As such, an X3D chip might be interesting, as it could alleviate those problems quite a bit

So, apparently Valve has fixed Steam's user reviews, as in the memes, ASCII art, and other unhelpful stuff will (by default) not be visible first: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/4326355263805583415 Judging by a quick look, it's actually working! Well, at least until users find new ways to make reviews unhelpful again, but it seems much better for now.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

From what I gather from discussions with some people who know more about chip design, is that Ryzen 9000 is probably very hampered by it's memory, as in:

1. the IO die being the same as for Zen 4
  2. The infinity fabric being at it's limit
  3. the internal memory buses for the caches, while having more throughput, also need longer to be filled because they are wider, causing some delays in operation.

As such, an X3D chip might be interesting, as it could alleviate those problems quite a bit

Looking at non-Windows focused reviews for Zen 5 makes me think the problem runs deeper that. It's like something is being lose in translation.

Around the Network

Odd question, not sure if anyone has experience but I'm looking to move countries next year. Any thoughts on how to transports a PC? Any nice bags or suitcases made for PC transport?

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Odd question, not sure if anyone has experience but I'm looking to move countries next year. Any thoughts on how to transports a PC? Any nice bags or suitcases made for PC transport?

I'd personally try to remove the GPU and cooler to avoid damaging your motherboard, and try to reuse the boxes they came in if you still have them. Linus made a video about that some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6meXiudFZcE

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Chrkeller said:

I'd personally try to remove the GPU and cooler to avoid damaging your motherboard, and try to reuse the boxes they came in if you still have them. Linus made a video about that some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6meXiudFZcE

perfect, damn good idea.  Thanks.  I do have the original boxes and the 4090 isn't exactly light.  I should remove it before transport.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Zkuq said:

So, apparently Valve has fixed Steam's user reviews, as in the memes, ASCII art, and other unhelpful stuff will (by default) not be visible first: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/4326355263805583415 Judging by a quick look, it's actually working! Well, at least until users find new ways to make reviews unhelpful again, but it seems much better for now.

Well, the "new helpfulness system" is quite "publisher friendly"... it hides complaints about additional launchers and DRM-systems.

Here is a comparison of "Beyond Good & Evil: 20th Anniversary Edition", which uses both the Ubisoft Connect launcher and Denuvo:

But Valve is smart enough to offer an easy opt-out of the "new helpfulness system", so they can shrug off complaints about censorship.

I'm still unsure, if I will activate the new system or not. Probably I'll switch it on and off to see "both sides of the story".

By the way, "Beyond Good & Evil: 20th Anniversary Edition" runs great on my Steam Deck! But you need an internet connection to start the game (f.e. via hotspot of your phone, if you are on the go). After starting it, you can go into airplane mode... you don't need a continuous connection the whole playtime.

Last edited by Conina - on 15 August 2024

Sins of a Solar Empire 2 just launched on steam and one of the first reviews let me know that it has no graphics options. What? I mean recommended is a GTX 1060 so I guess performance isn't an issue but.... why? "No graphic settings, only bloom, fullscreen-no fullscreen, etc."