By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Chazore said:
-Adonis- said:

Why the Epic hate tho ?

Because I'm not as forgiving as you are. I remember how I was treated by Epic for years after they abandoned PC gaming, then came back and acted like they were owed a slice of the pie, and I've interacted with Tim before, he's an egotistical guy, not the very nice caring kind of CEO either, and would rather cry wolf to get what he wants (which I find a poor quality in any person to resort to that).

I'm also not a fan of having warring exclusivity wars on an open platform, which left a bad first impression to me when they started their tirade 5 years ago. Times have barely changed for them, and so I just ignore whatever games launch there first, even when they come to Steam, because I'm not about rewarding my time being wasted and my money not worth day 1. 

I did not know about that. Thank you.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

In case you're not aware of it, GOG Galaxy allows you to synch other platforms like Steam or Epic Store, to have all your games and friends in one place.

Interesting, didnt know it synced - I'm guessing it just shows your friends, achievements and GOG released games only?

BasilZero said:
JEMC said:

In case you're not aware of it, GOG Galaxy allows you to synch other platforms like Steam or Epic Store, to have all your games and friends in one place.

Interesting, didnt know it synced - I'm guessing it just shows your friends, achievements and GOG released games only?

Not only that. It imports all the games you have on the other stores, friends and achievements. You'll still need to have installed the other stores because when you launch a game from them, the game will launch from that store and not GOG, but at least it gives you a place to see all your games and which ones are installed and ready to play.

That is, if/when it works. In both my old PC and this new one I have problems with Steam, and I don't know why.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

-Adonis- said:

Why the Epic hate tho ?

For me, it's mostly buying exclusivities and not really doing anything at all for the benefit of gamers. I might have been willing to forgive Epic for the exclusivities had they actually offered a good service in return, but Epic's platform is really barebones. For some reason, all they've done is moneyhatting and the absolutely minimum to improve their service. I don't see any commitment from Epic, so why should I commit to Epic.

Also, Tencent's massive share in Epic makes me concerned about freedom of speech in games if Epic ever becomes a really big player in the market.

Last edited by Zkuq - 4 days ago

Vanquish was on sale a few weeks ago for $5. I forgot how great the game was.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

OK, so I have potentially a silly question. With PC gaming what is resolution scaling? Like if I set it to 100% does that mean it renders native to my resolution? Or does it mean it is upscaling a bunch?

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Yes, 100% is usually the native resolution.

50% is usually 1/4 of the native resolution (1/2 of the x-axis and 1/2 of the y-axis), f. e. 960x540 on a 1920x1080 display. Or FullHD (1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels) on an UHD-display (3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels)

200% is usually 4x the native resolution (2x of the x-axis and 2x of the y-axis), f. e. 4K/UHD (3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels) on a FullHD-display (1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels).

But some game developers are counting different.

They display "50%" as 1/2 of the native resolution and "200%" as 2x of the native resolution.
So "50%" of UHD or "200%" of FullHD would be 4,147,200 pixels... in a 16x9-aspect 2715x1527 render resolution.

Last edited by Conina - 4 days ago

Conina said:

Yes, 100% is usually the native resolution.

50% is usually 1/4 of the native resolution (1/2 of the x-axis and 1/2 of the y-axis), f. e. 960x540 on a 1920x1080 display. Or FullHD (1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels) on an UHD-display (3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels)

200% is usually 4x the native resolution (2x of the x-axis and 2x of the y-axis), f. e. 4K/UHD (3840x2160 = 8,294,400 pixels) on a FullHD-display (1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels).

But some game developers are counting different.

They display "50%" as 1/2 of the native resolution and "200%" as 2x of the native resolution.
So "50%" of UHD or "200%" of FullHD would be 4,147,200 pixels... in a 16x9-aspect 2715x1527 render resolution.

Thanks Conina.  Much appreciated.  I'm still trying to learn all these nuances.  

I'll probably make it easy and just keep everything at 100% via native.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Zkuq said:

For me, it's mostly buying exclusivities and not really doing anything at all for the benefit of gamers. I might have been willing to forgive Epic for the exclusivities had they actually offered a good service in return, but Epic's platform is really barebones. For some reason, all they've done is moneyhatting and the absolutely minimum to improve their service. I don't see any commitment from Epic, so I should I commit to Epic

Also, Tencent's massive share in Epic makes me concerned about freedom of speech in games if Epic ever becomes a really big player in the market.

To be fair, this is the same company that regarded us as pirates (much like Ubisoft, surprise, surprise how both of them treat PC gamers), claimed "you won't find a game like Gears of War on PC, but you might find something on Facebook gaming". It took them 2 years to get a shopping cart and Tim claimed that the storefront costs to make it the best they can be weren't worth dumping into over the money hatting (Working with studios as he called it on Twitter).

Also this damning piece of evidenced is all I needed from that Apple court case to know they hadn't learned a damn thing since they left PC gaming (the Anti-Epic section in particular). 

Btw, there is no freedom of speech on EGS, because their "user review" system is neutered in a way that it "randomly" picks user reviews based on scores, meaning it will only ever pick the higher review scores, not the negative ones, and even then, the way they have worded 1 star makes it still sound good, not bad, which is enough to tell me that their review system is completely fucked and not at all designed for us the users, but for the studios/publishers (Publishers/studios can also 100% opt out of even allowing user reviews, which is a massive anti-consumer red flag). 

Last edited by Chazore - 4 days ago

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"