By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
HoloDust said:

Oh, I don't know - we already have games that are letting NPCs do whatever they want (according to their motivations) and that reflects in gameworld. Dwarf Fortress being prime example. City 20, upcoming survival RPG being another. So if you figure out how to make plot triggers, let the systemic world just exist, throw player into it and let them achieve goals in any way they want, while interacting with that systemic world and AI NPCs, it would be quite different than any notion of classic game design so far. And eventually add an AI Game Master, and you have radically different experiences than what we're used to in video games.

Not saying classically designed games won't still be viable path to take, but with such NPCs, all of the sudden you have much different view toward designing everything. Pretty similar to what I once said in some BotW discussion - if you make a game where axe can chop wood (and that means ALL wood), and make all doors wooden, then your view on the game design needs to be quite different than in game where axe can chop only some wood and all doors are artificially impervious to it.

What you said, "games that are letting NPCs do whatever they want (according to their motivations)" is what I meant by motivation and story/background given to the NPC, etc. Those things will still need to be put in place by devs to follow the story they want to create in the game and to make sure the player experiences the game the way they want. That's where the n+1 or whatever they want to use to describe it comes into play.

The AI Game Master isn't something I see happening anytime soon, and maybe never at all in some games (why would a game like DOOM need that, for example?).

And now that you mention the axe and wood/doors, I'd love to see AI used to create more interactive worlds. How many times has any of us wanted to enter huts, houses, stores or whatever in a game but we can't because the devs only designed the outside? How cool would it be to let AI design the interiors of all those places in a way that makes sense and doesn't repeat, freeing devs to do the rest of the work. It's one of the few good things AC: Unity had, the option to enter through some houses or buildings as a shortcut, making the city feel more real.

I'm guessing they will fine tune only important NPCs - most of them will be from random tables, influenced by another random tables and environment they are occupying, and so on. This is very similar how you run open TTRPG campaign.

I heard a story form Dwarf Fortress - there is a quest to find some kidnapper. Now, that NPC decided on its own, according to his motivations, that kidnapping is good business. Some other NPC, I don't remember if it had someone related kidnapped or just wanted to stop the kidnappings, offered a reward for finding that kidnapper. All unscripted. Wonderful. Really have to find the time to play it (with full understanding that I will get lost permanently in it).

Yeah, NPCs making things will be great. I think City 20 NPCs will be able to craft on their own (among other things), according to their motivations and goals (and skills - not sure if and how is that implemented).

Around the Network

I don't know what to say. An NPC deciding that kidnapping is a good business is a quite scary behavior to pick on its own. And that another one decided to come up with a reward to entice the player to find him is also, at the very least unsettling.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

I don't know what to say. An NPC deciding that kidnapping is a good business is a quite scary behavior to pick on its own. And that another one decided to come up with a reward to entice the player to find him is also, at the very least unsettling.

Abduction and rescue quests have been built-in in Dwarf Fortress since forever.

But even if you were to feed that particular element to a large language model to include in a modern NPC quest generation/motivation system and for some reason it used it every single time it wouldn't mean anything, there's no meaning or malice whatsoever involved.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Hey guys. I am back from getting married! I'll start doing hardware news from next week.

Welcome back among the living ;)

haxxiy said:
JEMC said:

But even if you were to feed that particular element to a large language model to include in a modern NPC quest generation/motivation system and for some reason it used it every single time it wouldn't mean anything, there's no meaning or malice whatsoever involved.

Ok, so it's not like an NPC came with the idea of kidnapping people, it's just an option within the game that, for some reason, some NPC are more likely to use. That's less scary.

Thanks.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

The addition of a teleporter in the base game in Borderlands 1 through the GOTY Enhanced version was the best thing added to this remaster.

Unfortunately its not in the DLC content....why :(?

JEMC said:
haxxiy said:

Ok, so it's not like an NPC came with the idea of kidnapping people, it's just an option within the game that, for some reason, some NPC are more likely to use. That's less scary.

I do fully expect for AI NPCs with selfish motivations to start stealing and do all sort of, what we define as evil, shit in games on their own (as I said, I think City 20 supports this, will have to wait for it to come out to see for myself).

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Hey guys. I am back from getting married! I'll start doing hardware news from next week.

Also been doing some raiding in XIV I see =P 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Started playing Lies of P and holy shit why didn't anyone tell me it was this good.

Not sure why it got an 81 on Meta, it's better than Nioh/Star Wars Jedi and even Dark Souls II.

Sure, your weapon hitbox could be a little longer but otherwise, I have zero complaints so far.

Not many people share their opinions of the games they play over here, maybe that's why none of us told you. I'm glad you like it, and thanks for sharing. It may encourage someone else to give it a try.