By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:

Activision removes Tiananmen Square video from Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War trailer
https://www.pcgamer.com/activision-removes-tiananmen-square-video-from-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-trailer/
Last week, Activision confirmed the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops – Cold War with a video built around a real-world interview with defector Yuri Bezmenov, in which he described a four-stage Soviet strategy dedicated to ending American dominance in the world: Demoralization, destabilization, crisis, and normalization. Clips of real-world historical events—the Vietnam War, riots in the US, that sort of thing—played throughout.
Earlier this week, that video was quietly deleted and replaced with one of roughly half the length. Activision gave no indication as to why the first trailer was removed, or even that it had happened, but according to South China Morning Post, it's because the original video contained a brief clip of footage from the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests, an event that's heavily censored in China. The video was first replaced with one that had the clip blacked out, but at some point later the whole thing was replaced.

That's shameful.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
vivster said:

I think the judges aren't in for that yet. The things I've read is that a 2080ti barely uses 8x. I will certainly wait for Ampere benchmarks before I make a decision on that.

Here is a nice test

https://www.igorslab.de/en/pcie-4-0-and-pcie-3-0-different-between-x8-andx16-with-the-fast-fastest-cards-where-the-bottle-neck-begins/

Overall there is no noticeable difference between PCIe 3 x8 and x16 on the highest end GPUs with heavy loads. Also the required bandwidth seems to go down with higher resolution, that's probably because of the lower fps.

If you think the high resolutions are the heavy loads, think again. All it does is bringing you into a more CPU-limiting scenario, hence why the gap drops.

The 720p resolution it thus more representative for what to come, and you can see that it lags by 6.3% in average and 7.4% in minimum FPS already.

But this is not just about FPS: A chip as huge as a 3080, 3090 or Big Navi (with 80 CU) will also make tons of drawcalls, which will increase the overhead a lot. And if you look at the frametimes, you'll see that the x8 will have more and higher spikes than the x16 in the frametimes, resulting in microstutter which the raw FPS numbers won't show. Future games will make better use of more cores, and thus will only accentuate the problem further.

I get what you are saying but how do heavy loads with high resolution bring you closer to a CPU limit when they are clearly GPU limited? Surely the lower gap is because of the lower framerate, resulting in fewer calls.

The higher frametimes are a good call, I'm very sensitive to micro stutter.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I tried out Ring of Pain since the words roguelike and cards are always worth a look for me.

Overall the presentation is great. Interactions are snappy and it absolutely does not waste your time with unskippable drawn out animations (looking at you, Hearthstone). Designs are great and are a mishmash of different styles that I like. The demo is quite challenging. The extremely low amount of health and the high damage enemies deal make the game a lot more strategic than luck driven. Which can be a plus, but not necessarily for me. That said, you only go through very few cycles, which means your items and buffs are very limited. There is actually some kind of story in there that you can unravel in random encounters, which could be fun. The game is actually perfect for mobile devices because the navigation are just clicks on big objects and there is not much text. That's why it's surprising to see there is no mobile version.

You could compare a lot of things with Slay the Spire but it's actually not a deck builder. It's just choice driven clicking. The closest comparison is probably Guild of Dungeoneering, but much more refined. Anyway, I'll probably get it when it releases and hope they actually have a lot more content and especially classes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Zkuq said:
JEMC said:

Activision removes Tiananmen Square video from Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War trailer
https://www.pcgamer.com/activision-removes-tiananmen-square-video-from-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-trailer/
Last week, Activision confirmed the upcoming Call of Duty: Black Ops – Cold War with a video built around a real-world interview with defector Yuri Bezmenov, in which he described a four-stage Soviet strategy dedicated to ending American dominance in the world: Demoralization, destabilization, crisis, and normalization. Clips of real-world historical events—the Vietnam War, riots in the US, that sort of thing—played throughout.
Earlier this week, that video was quietly deleted and replaced with one of roughly half the length. Activision gave no indication as to why the first trailer was removed, or even that it had happened, but according to South China Morning Post, it's because the original video contained a brief clip of footage from the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests, an event that's heavily censored in China. The video was first replaced with one that had the clip blacked out, but at some point later the whole thing was replaced.

That's shameful.

It's the usual hypocresy of western business, not just Activision, always getting behind any social movement that can get them praise and good press, but also staying the hell out of anything that can endanger their business. And the risk of pissing off China and seeing their games banned there is too risky.

vivster said:

I tried out Ring of Pain since the words roguelike and cards are always worth a look for me.

Overall the presentation is great. Interactions are snappy and it absolutely does not waste your time with unskippable drawn out animations (looking at you, Hearthstone). Designs are great and are a mishmash of different styles that I like. The demo is quite challenging. The extremely low amount of health and the high damage enemies deal make the game a lot more strategic than luck driven. Which can be a plus, but not necessarily for me. That said, you only go through very few cycles, which means your items and buffs are very limited. There is actually some kind of story in there that you can unravel in random encounters, which could be fun. The game is actually perfect for mobile devices because the navigation are just clicks on big objects and there is not much text. That's why it's surprising to see there is no mobile version.

You could compare a lot of things with Slay the Spire but it's actually not a deck builder. It's just choice driven clicking. The closest comparison is probably Guild of Dungeoneering, but much more refined. Anyway, I'll probably get it when it releases and hope they actually have a lot more content and especially classes.

Thanks for sharing. We'll see how turns out the final product.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Another rumour about the 3000 series benchmark on Time Spy Extreme:

Update the benchmark:

TSE 3090FE 100**

Quadro? 93**

3080FE 85**

For comparison:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

My God I'm slow today. It took me a while to realize that TSE = TimeSpy Extreme and that the ** are also part of the number, like the 3090FE has ten thousand points, not a hundred...

Anyway, JPR has published the PC GPU Q2 2020 numbers:

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-releases/pandemic-distorts-global-gpu-market-results

Quick highlights

• AMD’s overall unit shipments increased by 8.4% quarter-to-quarter, Intel’s total shipments decreased by -2.7% from last quarter, and Nvidia’s increased by 17.8%.
  • The overall attach rate of GPUs (includes integrated and discrete GPUs, desktop, notebook, and workstations) to PCs for the quarter was 126% which was up by 2.3% from last quarter.
  • The overall PC market increased by 0.68% quarter-to-quarter and increased by 12.54% year-to-year.
  • Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs that use discrete GPUs) increased by 6.55% from last quarter.
  • Q2'20 saw no change in tablet shipments from last quarter.

It's a nice touch to already add Intel, with a 0%.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It's high time AMD brings big Navi and RDNA2 to fight back, those market shares for dGPU are really atrociously low by now for AMD.

Here's something kinda funny.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is $70 on PS5/XSX

https://wccftech.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-70-dollars-crossgen-bundle/

But the PC version is still $60

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war

So console people are going to be paying extra $10 to essentially get the PC version? Gotta love that Activision tax.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Are we sure it's the same version? You know, maybe they're doing the same as EA with FIFA and they'll bring to PC the PS4/X1 version and not the new one.

Captain_Yuri said:

Another rumour about the 3000 series benchmark on Time Spy Extreme:

Update the benchmark:

TSE 3090FE 100**

Quadro? 93**

3080FE 85**

For comparison:

Seems believable. That would mean around 25% of the 3090 over the 2080ti in non-crazy loads.