By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

thats why its a DIY

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
So I'm looking for more parts for my new build. Does anyone really think it's worth to go AMD just for PCIe4? I really don't want to spend money on Zen2 when there is a perfectly fine 10900K. And I really don't want to wait for a Zen 3 that may or may not come this year unless I really have to.

Also, there are apparently no white mainboards for either Intel or AMD, I hate people.

Fine for what exactly?

For just gaming, a 10600K would be amply enough. The difference is measurable, but within just a couple frames.

For productivity, a 3900X is much better and cheaper at the same time yet not much slower in gaming. And you could upgrade to Zen 3 later this year, which most likely will finally also take Intel's gaming crown away.

I know you don't want to wait, but with Ampere, Big Navi and Zen 3 practically just around the corner, I'd say now is a pretty bad moment to start a new build.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 26 August 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
vivster said:
So I'm looking for more parts for my new build. Does anyone really think it's worth to go AMD just for PCIe4? I really don't want to spend money on Zen2 when there is a perfectly fine 10900K. And I really don't want to wait for a Zen 3 that may or may not come this year unless I really have to.

Also, there are apparently no white mainboards for either Intel or AMD, I hate people.

Fine for what exactly?

For just gaming, a 10600K would be amply enough. The difference is measurable, but within just a couple frames.

For productivity, a 3900X is much better and cheaper at the same time yet not much slower in gaming. And you could upgrade to Zen 3 later this year, which most likely will finally also take Intel's gaming crown away.

I know you don't want to wait, but with Ampere, Big Navi and Zen 3 practically just around the corner, I'd say now is a pretty bad moment to start a new build.

Isn't it always a bad moment to build?

I'm building a 100% Gaming PC that will not be used for anything but gaming. It won't even run any applications in the background. So what I need most over everything is strong single core performance with high clocks for high fps. The 10900k is the best option for that there is. It has the most reserves, because those single digit percentages of performance gain will get bigger over the years if I'd opt for something less. The only reason to not pick it is if I want to save some money or if PCIe3 presents a serious bottleneck in the next 3 years.

I would like to buy AMD over Intel because I expect Zen 3 to be on par with the 10900k for my use case but I'm not sure if it's actually worth the wait. Why wait just to have something that does the same thing?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Fine for what exactly?

I'm building a 100% Gaming PC that will not be used for anything but gaming. It won't even run any applications in the background. So what I need most over everything is strong single core performance with high clocks for high fps. The 10900k is the best option for that there is. It has the most reserves, because those single digit percentages of performance gain will get bigger over the years if I'd opt for something less. The only reason to not pick it is if I want to save some money or if PCIe3 presents a serious bottleneck in the next 3 years.

I would like to buy AMD over Intel because I expect Zen 3 to be on par with the 10900k for my use case but I'm not sure if it's actually worth the wait. Why wait just to have something that does the same thing?

Would be true if you could upgrade the GPU. But if RTX 2060 is the limit for PCIe 3 x8, then a 2080ti is the limit for x16. Ampere will need PCIe 4 to get it's power to the ground, something NVidia has already pointed at.

So if you can't upgrade the GPU to make use of the extra power, then you can just as well settle for a 10600K. Or go AMD to be able to use PCIe 4 and thus full power on the next gen GPUs.

Nvidia officially confirmed the 12 pin connector (and compatibility with 8 pins with a included adapter)

Last edited by Cyran - on 26 August 2020

Around the Network
vivster said:

Depends on the card you are getting. Currently with the 5700XT which is the only PCIe 4.0 card on the market, some games do show higher fps even if it is like 5fps going from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0. But the 2080Ti also shows that there's a massive difference in fps for some games going from PCIe 3.0 16x to 8x which could be the case with 3090 since with PCIe 4.0, 8x will be the speed of PCIe 3.0's 16x.

Personally I'd wait for PCIe scaling benchmarks or wait for Zen 3 entirely as it's coming out soon and could give you the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 26 August 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Bofferbrauer2 said:
vivster said:

Would be true if you could upgrade the GPU. But if RTX 2060 is the limit for PCIe 3 x8, then a 2080ti is the limit for x16. Ampere will need PCIe 4 to get it's power to the ground, something NVidia has already pointed at.

So if you can't upgrade the GPU to make use of the extra power, then you can just as well settle for a 10600K. Or go AMD to be able to use PCIe 4 and thus full power on the next gen GPUs.

I think the judges aren't in for that yet. The things I've read is that a 2080ti barely uses 8x. I will certainly wait for Ampere benchmarks before I make a decision on that.

Here is a nice test

https://www.igorslab.de/en/pcie-4-0-and-pcie-3-0-different-between-x8-andx16-with-the-fast-fastest-cards-where-the-bottle-neck-begins/

Overall there is no noticeable difference between PCIe 3 x8 and x16 on the highest end GPUs with heavy loads. Also the required bandwidth seems to go down with higher resolution, that's probably because of the lower fps.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

Yeah, now it's not a good time to go for white components.

Your best bets would be mobos with white/silver parts, like the ASRock Pro4 (Z490, X570) or Steel Legend (Z490, X570) series or the Gigabyte Vision G. And well, you're not good for white GPUs either, unless you wait some months for the Galax Hall of Fame cards.

Then again, none of them are Asus, so would you really consider any of them?

Also, I'm affraid that, if you want to make a good purchase, you'll have to wait until we get not just reviews of the new cards, but also their scaling with different CPUs and over PCIe 3.0 and PCIe 4.0.

It sucks to be you.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Cyran said:

Nvidia officially confirmed the 12 pin connector (and compatibility with 8 pins with a included adapter)

Also got a 2 second glimpse of their up coming cooler at 8:10! Looks like the leaks were correct.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
vivster said:

Depends on the card you are getting. Currently with the 5700XT which is the only PCIe 4.0 card on the market, some games do show higher fps even if it is like 5fps going from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 4.0. But the 2080Ti also shows that there's a massive difference in fps for some games going from PCIe 3.0 16x to 8x which could be the case with 3090 since with PCIe 4.0, 8x will be the speed of PCIe 3.0's 16x.

Personally I'd wait for PCIe scaling benchmarks or wait for Zen 3 entirely as it's coming out soon and could give you the best of both worlds.

If Zen 3 is actually coming out soon everything's fine. But even in that video you can see the differences in 4k are negligible. My next rig will be 4k only. And if I throw RT in the mix there probably won't be any bandwidth bottleneck either. I just don't want to run into CPU bottlenecks ever again.