By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Yeah, and I thought WD Red weren't shingled...

What you posted is true today, but will that still be true in the future?

That's true and it could always happen for really anything but until that becomes a reality, I'll take their word for it cause otherwise what else we supposed to do? Not buy anything?

Certainly not.

My fear is more that SSDs are slowly hitting a brick wall with the miniaturization since smaller gates and higher amounts of states for the cells drastically reduce the life expectancy of the SSD. New techniques may be necessary to get around this, and those never come cheap. I mean, some QLC blocks have a life expectancy of a mere 100 erasures, which is getting ridiculously low now. And yet they are developing PLC now, so 5 layers of states and storage, at which point the number of rewrites for a block might drop to such lows as just 20.

Clearly, Flash is starting to show it's limitations. 

Around the Network

I like the news are. I don't need them as I have other ways of gathering news if needed, but I do like and read them here too. Obviously I don't read all of them; I just skim through the ones that don't interest me.

If I only posted the articles I'm interested in, most days there wouldn't be news at all, and the rest of the days there would be so few of them that I'm 100% sure the next step from some of you would be complaining on why I bother making the news at all.

And, if I only posted what I care about, you could forget about reading anything related to Battle Royale, multiplayer of any kind, sport/horror games, small/indie games that pretend to tell big stories while relying on crappy graphics with the excuse of some form of misunderstood nostalgia, etc.

So no, that's not a valid option.

Regarding the use of pics, Vivs, I already used pics when I started doing the news, like zarx did: sample 1, sample 2, sample 3, all from October 2015 (the crappy format is 50% my fault, 50% the site not displaying them like they were att he time). I only stopped using them because one user complained that, unlike anywhere else of the site, he had troubles with this thread lagging a lot. Given that the biggest difference between this thread and the others were the news and the pics that came with them and that the loading of those pics could be the reason for those troubles, I decided to stop using them.

That said, the site has changed since then and I could try to post them again, but I have to warn that some of PCGamer's articles don't have a headline picture, and in those cases the article would be posted like I'm doing it now.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Of course they will get bigger. I'm fully expecting 200GB installations on the next gen AAA games, with up to 500GB in extreme cases.

Which will make download size explode, too. Hope you don't have restrictive data caps...

500GB?! You're insane .

Keep in mind that those games will also launch on consoles, and the PS5 only has 825GB of space (minus whatever the OS and system updates takes). They won't allow games so big.

Lots of investment has been done on the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X compression capabilities, textures tend to be highly compressible datasets.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Certainly not.

My fear is more that SSDs are slowly hitting a brick wall with the miniaturization since smaller gates and higher amounts of states for the cells drastically reduce the life expectancy of the SSD. New techniques may be necessary to get around this, and those never come cheap. I mean, some QLC blocks have a life expectancy of a mere 100 erasures, which is getting ridiculously low now. And yet they are developing PLC now, so 5 layers of states and storage, at which point the number of rewrites for a block might drop to such lows as just 20.

Clearly, Flash is starting to show it's limitations. 

Companies like Intel are using floating gate for their NAND which hit a wall awhile ago... And other manufacturers like Samsung are using Charge-Trap which tends to be more durable as it doesn't destroy the oxide layer as readily as floating gate, basically the improvements on both are coming down to the materials and layers.
It made more sense to build chips on a larger process and just add more layers, but now we are hitting a layer wall, so now we are shrinking the individual layers.

But there is room for improvements after that such as Bandgap-Engineered Silicon–Oxide–Nitride–Oxide–Silicon or (BE-SONOS).. But the real successor to QLC will be Twin BiCS NAND.

Basically it's a semi-circular split floating gate and can push past the 4-bits per cell limitation that QLC imposes.

And you are right, the amount of rewrites for a block are reducing, but endurance for a drive stays roughly the same due to overall increases in capacity...
For example on a 128GB drive each cell would end up with 8x write cycles to hit 1 Terabyte. - But a 1024GB drive would only use 1x write cycles for 1 Terabyte.

Still, I got no issues using a QLC or TLC drive as long as she performs...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Gotta love dem rant videos...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:

If I only posted the articles I'm interested in, most days there wouldn't be news at all, and the rest of the days there would be so few of them that I'm 100% sure the next step from some of you would be complaining on why I bother making the news at all.

And, if I only posted what I care about, you could forget about reading anything related to Battle Royale, multiplayer of any kind, sport/horror games, small/indie games that pretend to tell big stories while relying on crappy graphics with the excuse of some form of misunderstood nostalgia, etc.

Regarding the use of pics, Vivs, I already used pics when I started doing the news, like zarx did: sample 1, sample 2, sample 3, all from October 2015 (the crappy format is 50% my fault, 50% the site not displaying them like they were att he time). I only stopped using them because one user complained that, unlike anywhere else of the site, he had troubles with this thread lagging a lot. Given that the biggest difference between this thread and the others were the news and the pics that came with them and that the loading of those pics could be the reason for those troubles, I decided to stop using them.

That said, the site has changed since then and I could try to post them again, but I have to warn that some of PCGamer's articles don't have a headline picture, and in those cases the article would be posted like I'm doing it now.

So you actually do stop doing things just because a single user complained? ;)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JEMC said:

I like to read (or al least browse through) all the infos you post... but please don't feel obligated to do that anymore!

I'm worried that you spend too much time on that which you could use better in playing games and enjoying yourself.

If anyone is interested about reading anything related to Battle Royale, multiplayer of any kind, sport/horror games and small/indie games that you don't care about, they can get these infos easily on many sites themselves.

vivster said:
JEMC said:
*snip*

So you actually do stop doing things just because a single user complained? ;)

I did, back then when I was younger and more naive. Sadly, present me killed that guy a long time ago.

Conina said:
JEMC said:

I like to read (or al least browse through) all the infos you post... but please don't feel obligated to do that anymore!

I'm worried that you spend too much time on that which you could use better in playing games and enjoying yourself.

If anyone is interested about reading anything related to Battle Royale, multiplayer of any kind, sport/horror games and small/indie games that you don't care about, they can get these infos easily on many sites themselves.

Don't worry about how long it takes me to do it because it's not that much, roughly an hour. Some days like Mondays and the ones after some sort of conference take more than that, but others with little news it's just 30 minutes or so.

And it doesn't stop me from playing either, I do them while doing other things.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Now, while we're talking about the news, I already asked your opinion on what you wanted to see and what now based on what I was already posting, but we can also talk about the design.

I've been using a bit of colour to separate the different sections and I've been making each article a cluster, a packed unit that makes it easy to tell apart from the previous and later stories and I'm still trying to add different things here and there to make some things stand out more (like using the bold style for the name of the store in the sales and underlining the game or bundle in sale), but I'm open to make some change if you think it will make it easier to read.

For example, every now and then I think about completely splitting the news from DSOGaming and PCGamer, each one with its own Sale, driver, mods and games articles for those that prefer one site to the other. So far I decided against that because I think it would be stupid to split something that small, but I could make three news posts: one with those kinds of articles, one for the DSOG news and another one for the PCGamer ones.

So, if you have any ideas, I'm open to them. Just keep in mind that my html skills are quite limited and I don't know how to do a lot of stuff.