By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NES experts, I need your help! Update! Rate my purchases.

sethnintendo said:
travis said:

-Legacy of the wizard

-Wizards and warriors

Did you have Legacy of the Wizard originally in the op?  I must have missed it and went straight to Wizards and Warriors.  I then thought Wizards and Warriors was Legacy of the Wizard and looked it up.  I then went on a hunt to find the Wizard game I remembered playing from the past.  Lo and behold it was right there in the op above the one I was looking into...

Yep it was there since the beginning. I think it more popular that you may think. If I remember correctly, it got in the top 100 of a huge poll on gamefaq. I was really young when nes was release (not born actually), but still played it a little bit at the beginning of the 90s (games like mario and Blades of steel). Today I realise how many freaking good games the nes had. Plus my impression is that the games are really cheap to find. I'm beating Zelda nes for the first time instead of playing skyward sword haha! 

Around the Network
travis said:
yeah actually I would buy Life force but I'm trying to buy from a single seller to save some shipping costs since it,s more expensive to ship to Canada. So I guess I'll have to go with Gradius for now. So I'm adding to the bunch some new ones as well!

-XEXYZ
-Master Blaster
-Snake Rattle and roll
-Willow
-Zanac

What are your thoughts on these?

Blaster Master is a must-get. A classic! Willow is also a very solid Zelda style game.

sethnintendo said:
CDiablo said:

Legacy of the Wizard is a gem in my eyes it has a large map and a family of 6 characters with different strengths and weaknesses that let you get to different parts of the castle. you get items that help the family members get stronger and get to even more areas. Its like a Metroidvania game but you use multiple characters.

Wow!  Another person who played Legacy of the Wizard!  Did you ever beat it?  Game was confusing when I was young.  I was able to make good progress but always reached a point where I would get stuck.

I did not beat it as a kid. I beat it using a Dreamcast  several years ago on an NES emulator that had allowed me to savestate any game so I didnt have to do it in one sitting. The game is really good, thing is it is easy to get lost and at times it is hard to find where each family member goes but I guess I liked it enough to do the exploring. 

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

novasonic said:
sethnintendo said:
novasonic said:
Just grab anything that isn't a sports game. The amount of quality titles on the NES is bonkers.

Why no love for sports games?  The two I listed are classics.  Tecmo Super Bowl and Ice Hockey...

Yeah, I guess 3rd gen sports games were alright. It wasn't until the 4th gen that EA started their tyrannic yearly sport game B.S. I will admit the NES is the only console I actually have a sports game for.

Was a big fan of RBI Baseball (just look at that unique cart!  Such quality!). 

I believe the 3rd one had actual MLB players.  Not sure if it had stat tracking but I could have sworn.  I remember Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball had stat tracking but didn't have real players.  Kind of liked the old baseball games with fake players (Tommy Lasorda's baseball (Genesis), Ken Griffey Jr.).  I can't stand watching baseball anymore though.  I grew out of the sport and I can barely watch highlights of it.  I wouldn't mind playing an old school baseball game though for fun.

travis said:
sethnintendo said:
travis said:

-Legacy of the wizard

-Wizards and warriors

Did you have Legacy of the Wizard originally in the op?  I must have missed it and went straight to Wizards and Warriors.  I then thought Wizards and Warriors was Legacy of the Wizard and looked it up.  I then went on a hunt to find the Wizard game I remembered playing from the past.  Lo and behold it was right there in the op above the one I was looking into...

Yep it was there since the beginning. I think it more popular that you may think. If I remember correctly, it got in the top 100 of a huge poll on gamefaq. I was really young when nes was release (not born actually), but still played it a little bit at the beginning of the 90s (games like mario and Blades of steel). Today I realise how many freaking good games the nes had. Plus my impression is that the games are really cheap to find. I'm beating Zelda nes for the first time instead of playing skyward sword haha! 

Ah Blades of Steel... Love it and have it on Wii VC.  Yea, I suppose I underestimated Legacy of the Wizard.  I believe my parents picked it up for me as a gift which was pretty cool.  They probably saw that warrior on the front cover and was like yea.. he will like this. 

Another good sports game?  Arch Rivals

Smash TV was pretty fun to from what I remembered (2 player was especially fun)

Double Dribble was another decent NES basketball game

Around the Network
travis said:

I would think we have quite a lot of NES experts here. I recently got a NES and I'm planning to buy a few games. I'm looking for classics so I would like to have your opinion on these games in particular (I already have a bunch of really good games). Are they a buy or a "don't buy". I'm planning to spend like between 4 to 5 $ on each. I know that there is always those top 100 games of all time things but still, would like to get your opinion.

-Gradius Buy if you like side scrollers. Hard as fuck though so make sure your body is ready.

-Little Nemo: the dream master Buy, a great game

-Gremmlins 2 Buy, a wierd but awesome game

-Batman I would pass. The gameplay is kind of meh imho

-Gumshoe Never heard of it

-Jackal Buy! One of my all time favorite NES games.

-Legacy of the wizard Never heard of it

-Wizards and warriors Buy! Great game

Thx in advance for the help guys!

noname2200 said:
Tecmo said:
Skip Gradius and get Lifeforce - the better sequel

You forgot to say "Skip Tecmo Bowl: it is a peice of garbage without redeeming qualities." No worries though, I took care of that for ya.

Would of told him to skip Tecmo Bowl and get Tecmo Super Bowl - the better sequel - but he didn't ask about it.

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

farlaff said:
Tecmo said:
Skip Gradius and get Lifeforce - the better sequel

Man, I looked into this thread and thought I would be the only one old enough to indicate games for the Topic Owner. Feels good not to be alone. :P

Well, first of all, Gradius IS great, but LifeForce is just plain awesome. If you cannot pick both, there's no mistake with LF. Gosh, it is the first time a game would transition from side scrolling to vertical that I can remember. Sensational. Plus: multiplayer.

From the list: Batman is absolutely incredible. Hard as good games should be. And an unforgettable soundtrack. 

I have some more suggestions if you want. But for now I'm just happy for the content of this thread.

Fortunately, I am old enough to remember most of the games on the NES, and I definitetly agree with you, Gradius and Batman are both great games. Also, NES threads always make me happy as well :)

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

travis said:

I would think we have quite a lot of NES experts here. I recently got a NES and I'm planning to buy a few games. I'm looking for classics so I would like to have your opinion on these games in particular (I already have a bunch of really good games). Are they a buy or a "don't buy". I'm planning to spend like between 4 to 5 $ on each. I know that there is always those top 100 games of all time things but still, would like to get your opinion.

-Gradius

-Little Nemo: the dream master

-Gremmlins 2

-Batman

-Gumshoe

-Jackal

-Legacy of the wizard

-Wizards and warriors

Thx in advance for the help guys!

I own (and have owned since I was a kid) all of these games except for Legacy of the Wizard.... all are worth a purchase.  Jackal is some of the BEST co-op fun I have ever had.  I always thought of it as Contra in jeeps.  Gumshoe is probably the weakest game, it's fun enough for a zapper game but nothing all that special.... it's an autorun game where you shoot the guy to he can jump.  It kind of reminds me modern cell phone games, actually.  Little Nemo is the absolute most own on that list though... classic capcom platforming goodness.

I just updated the OP. I'm looking forward to your opinions. Especially on games like Legendary Wings and Cobra Triangle that I don't know much...