By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NES experts, I need your help! Update! Rate my purchases.

When you listed Wizards and Warriors I mistakenly thought of this game...

Game was fun to play but got frustrating because I would become stuck in game and not sure how to progress.  I played it a ton when I was a little kid but never beat the game.  I'm sure more than 50% of the people that played this game back in the day never beat it.  No strategy guides/internet and only option is to call up the Nintedo helpline which cost big bucks (was a kid so knew not to rack up the phone bill)...

Anyways some good NES games you should get...

and I can come up with some more if you want...  Those are some games that most people probably wouldn't suggest but are fun to play (some very fun like Ice Hockey 2 players).

Around the Network

Just grab anything that isn't a sports game. The amount of quality titles on the NES is bonkers.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

novasonic said:
Just grab anything that isn't a sports game. The amount of quality titles on the NES is bonkers.

Why no love for sports games?  The two I listed are classics.  Tecmo Super Bowl and Ice Hockey...

Nemo and Batman are both fantastic platformers. Gradius is ok but its sequel, Life Force is much more worth playing. Jackal, and gUmshoe are not very good. Legacy of the Wizard is a gem in my eyes it has a large map and a family of 6 characters with different strengths and weaknesses that let you get to different parts of the castle. you get items that help the family members get stronger and get to even more areas. Its like a Metroidvania game but you use multiple characters. Wizards and warriors doesnt get good until part 3. Main character cant hit anything that is more than 2 pixels in fron of him so you spend more time avoiding things than fighting them even though you have a decent sized sword.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:

Legacy of the Wizard is a gem in my eyes it has a large map and a family of 6 characters with different strengths and weaknesses that let you get to different parts of the castle. you get items that help the family members get stronger and get to even more areas. Its like a Metroidvania game but you use multiple characters.

Wow!  Another person who played Legacy of the Wizard!  Did you ever beat it?  Game was confusing when I was young.  I was able to make good progress but always reached a point where I would get stuck.

Around the Network
travis said:

I would think we have quite a lot of NES experts here. I recently got a NES and I'm planning to buy a few games. I'm looking for classics so I would like to have your opinion on these games in particular (I already have a bunch of really good games). Are they a buy or a "don't buy". I'm planning to spend like between 4 to 5 $ on each. I know that there is always those top 100 games of all time things but still, would like to get your opinion.

-Gradius  = Classic schmup.

-Little Nemo: the dream master = Great, but hard, platformer.

-Gremmlins 2 = Okay, not great. Entertaining.

-Batman = Fantastic action game, great soundtrack.

-Gumshoe = One of the earliest NES releases, not a lot to it.

-Jackal = Arcade shooter port. Decent. Hard as fuck.

-Legacy of the wizard = Part of the "Dragonslayer/Xandu" series. Decent for classic rpg.

-Wizards and warriors = Great classic game, but also hard as fuck.

Thx in advance for the help guys!

If you're asking my advice, I would say unless you already knew you wanted them, hold off on Gumshoe and Gremlins 2 especially, till later. Get Gradius, Wizards & Warriors, Little Nemo and Batman as first priorities. Although used NES games aren't as cheap as they once were. They're getting rarer, and due to internet things like AVGN and other Youtube type stuff, more people have been turned on to collecting them. So some games are not going to be found for $5, sorry to say.

As for reconmmendations for "must have games", outside of the obvious, like the Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, Mega Man, Metroid, Kirby, Zelda, etc. games, I would personally suggest:

Punch Out

Xexyz

Adventure Island, 2 is the best IMO, but all three are great.

Bonk's Adventure = great port of the TG16 game. Very fun.

Joe & Mac

Battletoads (as well as BT/Double Dragon)

Double Dragon, 2 most especially, though 1 is also good fun, though hard.

The Ducktales and Rescue Rangers games.

Conquest of Crystal Palace

Yoshi = it's a great, simple puzzle game, my fav. on NES.

Mighty Final Fight

Crystalis = classic rpg

Star Tropics I & II, though I is better.

The original Final Fantasy is great, as are the Dragon Warrior/Quest games.

Shadow of the Ninja = very good action game, in some ways better than the Ninja Gaiden classics.

Monster Party = weird as hell and worth every penny.

Totally Rad = ditto

Monster in my Pocket = awesome action game.

Bucky O'Hare = Ditto

TMNT II & III = great games. I is okay, though very different, and very difficult.

I could honestly keep on going.

Gradius is awesome, Wizards & Warriors is a good game too. I still have it and the sequel Iron Sword! Jackal was a good game from what I remember.

battletoads
contra
megaman 1-6
california games
aladdin
ghosts and golblins
bionic commando
captain skyhawk was actually really good
excitebike
rad racer
joe and mac
tmnt the arcade game
paperboy
mike tysons punch out

thats off the top of my head, some of my favorites. we all know about the marios and zeldas.

No one listed this game yet?  I'm sure Rol would have.

NiKKoM said:
V-r0cK said:
Definitely Gradius hands down!

On a side note: Its sad that there wasnt a Gradius this gen. Guess Konami was all out of ideas on how to improve on the game since its pretty straight forward. But I would've loved a new Gradius if they make one in the future.

There was Gradius Rebirth on the Wii.. I'm more suprised that konami isn't bringing it to the smartphones.. they are bringing Contra while Gradius is a far better series suitable for touchdevices

Gradius Rebirth wasn't exactly the next-gen Gradius I was hoping for, and felt more like a down grade from the PS2 game.  Of course the gameplay is basically the same.  I was just more curious to see what can be done with the Gradius games with more power under the hood but they never did make one.  Maybe even try a 4 player coop gradius?  But I doubt it'll be a retail type game ever again and just be a PSN/XBL/Wii Ware  type game.