By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Half-Assed Wii U Multi-Plats NEED TO STOP!

Tagged games:

Also, Wii U is hardware-competitive with PS3/360, yet isn't getting many of their multiplats. Nintendo could have made a system with the PS4's hardware, and they'd still be getting snobbed.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

If Nintendo creates competitive hardware, they'll pique the attention of third parties. That will help core gamers who want to stick with Nintendo not have to look anywhere else for their third party fix.

I'm not sure if that will ever happen.

Nintendo has a history of releasing home consoles at an affordable price around $250 or less (until Wii U). Until Nintendo can develop one that will have specs as nearly as powerful as Sony and Microsoft's within those parameters (Sony and Microsoft's have a price tag of 400$ or more the past two gen and don't mind selling at loss) we will never see a Nintendo home console that is competitive in specs as the competition. If Sony and Microsoft continues to make and sell their home consoles like they have for the past two gen, then Nintendo will have to change their traditional ways and follow Sony and Microsoft to have a console with competitive specs.

Nintendo should really team up with an electronics company like they did with Sony before to get a console with good specs and pricing if they want to stay competitive. But after the fallout between Sony and Nintendo and the competition it created, I don't blame them from stopping. Plus they managed to still sell their handhelds better than the competition with weaker specs and had their last console sell very well and generate massive profits. But maybe if they get pushed further away from getting powerful specs and less ideas to innovate with weaker devices, they might find another company to merge with before thinking of being handheld only or even third party.

spurgeonryan said:
Quick question.
Doesn't Nintendo always make their hardware hard for anyone to develope for? Even the Wii U has a bunch of crazy stuff going on inside it.

I don't know about handhelds, but Nintendo consoles typically have unconventional innards that are hard to extract the full power of, yes.

N64 was a nightmare, Wii's graphical architecture was from another planet compared to the direction the rest of the industry went in, (register combiners vs programmable pixel and vertex shaders) and Wii U's GPU has been described by Criterion, a very technically competent dev, as a "real struggle" to work with.

They did this mess on the Wii and not surprising they are still doing it (and will continue)

They will keep coming through, no matter how much you hate them.

Unfortunately Nintendo will always carry the stigma of "People Only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo Systems"  While its not always true, just look at some of the numbers.  Not surprising to me that 3rd party devs do not want to compete with that. 

Cobretti2 said:
snyps said:
Cobretti2 said:
snyps said:
half assed is a myth. Multiplats have better graphics on wiiu. This techusa guy is the dumbest.

DId you watch the video? It is not so much about gfx but the missing content and wanting people to pay full price when a better version of the game is avialable on steam for 1/4 of that.

I realy don't wanna watch it...  If he's so industry savy why can't he record him self or the things he talks about.  I heard the talk about sniper elite not getting the same content.  But the other muktiplats I know about do have the same content if not more.  I really don't want to watch the whole thing.  Could yu list the games he's complaining about missing content.  And not dlc cuz that's not what you pay for when you buy a game.  Thanks I advance.

The summary:

- Missing content
- Stripped out online multiplayer
- Charging full price for late ports (as in older than a year) when same game costs 25% on other systems with more content and features

Thanks. I was hopining you would be able to list games that have missing content.  If its just one then pffft.

Around the Network
Ssenkahdavic said:

They did this mess on the Wii and not surprising they are still doing it (and will continue)

They will keep coming through, no matter how much you hate them.

Unfortunately Nintendo will always carry the stigma of "People Only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo Systems"  While its not always true, just look at some of the numbers.  Not surprising to me that 3rd party devs do not want to compete with that. 

Some third party games did very well on Wii, even non-party ones, like Epic Mickey, (2.88m) Monster Hunter Tri, (2m) Goldeneye 007, (1.76m) Resident Evil 4, (2.14m) and Sonic Secret Rings/Unleashed/Colours. (1.48m - 2.59m)

You can crack the Wii/Wii U market if you produce an appealing game and advertise it properly.

There are Nintendo gamers like myself who buy third part games we feel are quality.

snyps said:
Cobretti2 said:
snyps said:
Cobretti2 said:
snyps said:
half assed is a myth. Multiplats have better graphics on wiiu. This techusa guy is the dumbest.

DId you watch the video? It is not so much about gfx but the missing content and wanting people to pay full price when a better version of the game is avialable on steam for 1/4 of that.

I realy don't wanna watch it...  If he's so industry savy why can't he record him self or the things he talks about.  I heard the talk about sniper elite not getting the same content.  But the other muktiplats I know about do have the same content if not more.  I really don't want to watch the whole thing.  Could yu list the games he's complaining about missing content.  And not dlc cuz that's not what you pay for when you buy a game.  Thanks I advance.

The summary:

- Missing content
- Stripped out online multiplayer
- Charging full price for late ports (as in older than a year) when same game costs 25% on other systems with more content and features

Thanks. I was hopining you would be able to list games that have missing content.  If its just one then pffft.

In that video he talks about one being sniper elite, but if you want to know some others then there is madden and fifa which are version 12 rebranded as 13 with features missing.

The video didn't only focus on missing content though. It was more about putting games on the system that are old ports and expecting them to sell well at full retail price when cheaper versions are avialable and at the same time the games are so old  that people already played them on their other systems.

He is right to some degree, but at the same time what he misses is a lot of Nintendo fans who only own one console don't vote with their wallets when good ports come out. The prblem with this is we don't knwo how many of the current Wii U owenrs are only one console owners so hard to jdge this until a decent user base establishes.

Third party sales on Wii U aren't really as awful as they seem when you consider:

(A) The tiny install base.

(B) That most of those ports are late, and more expensive on Wii U.

Attach rates are actually really good; Batman Arkham City has a 5% attach rate on Wii U, which is about the same as its attach rate  on 360. Assassin's Creed 3 has a similar attach rate between Wii U and PS360 also.

Wii U even beats PS3/360 in some cases; Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing has an 8% attach rate on Wii U, but only a 0.3% attach rate on PS3/360.

The only thing holdng back third party sales on Wii U is the overall small number of Wii U owners.

KylieDog said:
curl-6 said:

Some third party games did very well on Wii, even non-party ones, like Epic Mickey, (2.88m) Monster Hunter Tri, (2m) Goldeneye 007, (1.76m) Resident Evil 4, (2.14m) and Sonic Secret Rings/Unleashed/Colours. (1.48m - 2.59m)

You can crack the Wii/Wii U market if you produce an appealing game and advertise it properly.

There are Nintendo gamers like myself who buy third part games we feel are quality.

Those games are overtracked.

Of course, I forgot, everything Nintendo is always overtracked and everything Sony is always teh undatraxorz, amirite?

Last I checked, people usually get Nintendo systems just to play their awesome 1st and 2nd Party games.. like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and all that jazz. Oh, and of course their 3rd Party exclusives, Sonic: Lost World for example.

I would never buy a multi-plat game on the Wii U, they just don't sell well compared to Microsoft and Sony's systems. Even if they did somewhat sell well, most of your friends probably will own the games for Xbox or Playstation consoles anyways.