By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Honest Question: What's so good about the Last of Us?

As others have said, it's the tension really and the attachments to the characters. The world is also incredibly deep and rich. And it feels believable, which is arguably the most scary thing of all...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
KBG29 said:

What makes TLOU gameplay great is the variety of choices you have going into each encounter and the strategys you can create. Every time you come across a group of enemies you can look around and determine a battle plan. How many supplies do I have? How many enemies can I see? Which types of enemies will I be facing? What is the patrol route of each enemy? Who do I need to engage, and who can I avoid to save supplies?

It is so deep, so balanced, and well tuned everything just works. Every mechanic is so well refined you always feel in complete control.

This I think sums up the problem with modern game design. That's the design philosphy of most "dumbed down" games and Naughty Dogs are masters of it, that they always want the player to feel in control.

They design each encounter so the player tends to naturally make the best choice, or they design an encounter so that you can approach it in many  different ways and they all work. The player feels good about himself, seldom frustrated.

To me this is deception and I always get a very artificial feeling when playing this kind of game.

Instead, classical masterpiece games like Half-Life 2, Thief, Deus Ex and Dark Souls didn't make the player always feel in complete control. You often made the wrong choice, you felt frustrated, it was challenging. And that's what made them great.

Like the demos they've showed for say the latest Hitman or Splinter Cell games. They show how you can approach each mission in three different ways - pure stealth, lethal stealth or guns blazing - and we're supposed to be sooooo impressed. But if the level is very consciously and cynically designed with all of this in mind, that the player will always feel in complete control, then the end result will feel artifical and not satisfactory.

The fact that you always feel in control, and that the encounters feel so immersive and lifelike thanks to the AI, doesn't mean that the game isn't challenging. Not in the slightest. Especially when you did not have any back up from companions. Playing on hard, without a proper plan, when you have more than 3 enemies at you, and just go and give it a try, you're dead. They will outsmart, outgun, or outnumber you in one way or another.

You certainly don't naturally come with the best choice, because there are so many variables. Very limited supply, ammo, etc., smart AI, usually outnumbered. You need to make a decision, whether it's worth of shooting and using ammo, or try your luck in melee, with a bigger chance of getting damaged. Using your shivs, to effectively kill an opponent, or save it for a Clicker, or a jammed lock. And you have to keep in mind that you may not find the items to craft them afterwards, when you will need them.

You have to be aware of the environment. Check where you can hide, or flee, when the situation gets heated. See whether you have a spare brick or a bottle when you run out of them during. You need to see where you can cover, so you can craft some things on the go, heal yourself using a health kit, and change your weapon , taking it from the backpack, all this, because it takes a lot of time, when you are in the middle of a battle.

That shows, that you only watched the game, not played it, cause all this "dumbed down" gameplay as you call it - accusation is invalid.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Where are people who haven't played the game getting the idea it is easy? This game on survivor will demolish you.

eFKac said:
Slimebeast said:
KBG29 said:

What makes TLOU gameplay great is the variety of choices you have going into each encounter and the strategys you can create. Every time you come across a group of enemies you can look around and determine a battle plan. How many supplies do I have? How many enemies can I see? Which types of enemies will I be facing? What is the patrol route of each enemy? Who do I need to engage, and who can I avoid to save supplies?

It is so deep, so balanced, and well tuned everything just works. Every mechanic is so well refined you always feel in complete control.

This I think sums up the problem with modern game design. That's the design philosphy of most "dumbed down" games and Naughty Dogs are masters of it, that they always want the player to feel in control.

They design each encounter so the player tends to naturally make the best choice, or they design an encounter so that you can approach it in many  different ways and they all work. The player feels good about himself, seldom frustrated.

To me this is deception and I always get a very artificial feeling when playing this kind of game.

Instead, classical masterpiece games like Half-Life 2, Thief, Deus Ex and Dark Souls didn't make the player always feel in complete control. You often made the wrong choice, you felt frustrated, it was challenging. And that's what made them great.

Like the demos they've showed for say the latest Hitman or Splinter Cell games. They show how you can approach each mission in three different ways - pure stealth, lethal stealth or guns blazing - and we're supposed to be sooooo impressed. But if the level is very consciously and cynically designed with all of this in mind, that the player will always feel in complete control, then the end result will feel artifical and not satisfactory.

The fact that you always feel in control, and that the encounters feel so immersive and lifelike thanks to the AI, doesn't mean that the game isn't challenging. Not in the slightest. Especially when you did not have any back up from companions. Playing on hard, without a proper plan, when you have more than 3 enemies at you, and just go and give it a try, you're dead. They will outsmart, outgun, or outnumber you in one way or another.

You certainly don't naturally come with the best choice, because there are so many variables. Very limited supply, ammo, etc., smart AI, usually outnumbered. You need to make a decision, whether it's worth of shooting and using ammo, or try your luck in melee, with a bigger chance of getting damaged. Using your shivs, to effectively kill an opponent, or save it for a Clicker, or a jammed lock. And you have to keep in mind that you may not find the items to craft them afterwards, when you will need them.

You have to be aware of the environment. Check where you can hide, or flee, when the situation gets heated. See whether you have a spare brick or a bottle when you run out of them during. You need to see where you can cover, so you can craft some things on the go, heal yourself using a health kit, and change your weapon , taking it from the backpack, all this, because it takes a lot of time, when you are in the middle of a battle.

That shows, that you only watched the game, not played it, cause all this "dumbed down" gameplay as you call it - accusation is invalid.

You did a very great job explaining it, I'm so lazy that I was thinking all that but didn't want to type it.

I personally didn't feel the gameplay was particularly great either. Its kinda like Splinter Cell mixed with Resident Evil. With instant deaths!

Its the story that really pulled me in.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
I personally didn't feel the gameplay was particularly great either. Its kinda like Splinter Cell mixed with Resident Evil. With instant deaths!

Its the story that really pulled me in.

For me the gun combat wasn't anything new but the melee and weapon combat was amazing and probably the best I have ever seen.

eFKac said:
Slimebeast said:
KBG29 said:

It certainly sounds like an intelligent and challenging game by your description, but I've heard the same stuff been said about Uncharted. And IMO the gameplay in Uncharted is mediocre at best.

The problem for me, is that it's the same people praising this game who also lifted Uncharted to the skies. People who often seem unable to distinguish gameplay from an emotionally engaging experience.

Yes I've watched it on YouTube. To me it seems there's an unnaturally easy and smooth flow when they play, even the people who play on Hard mode, they seem to always know the right way to handle situations, and they seldom die.

This to me suggests that the game is designed to make the player feel in complete control, that it subtly (but cynically) directs the player to always choose the optimal solution in each encounter and that it's too careful to protect the player from frustrations.

Slimebeast said:
Aldro said:
Slimebeast said:

The gameplay looks very simple and dumbed down to me. I don't see any difference to Uncharted which to me played like an interactive movie (to me most modern HD games are essentially interactive movies). The only difference seems to be the pacing, if Uncharted was designed to be 30-70 stealth versus gunfight, in The Last of Us that ratio is a bit more adjustable according to your style.

I sneak up to an enemy and then I'm given a visible prompt to hit triangle or square to trigger a fancy takedown animation. Where's the fun in that?

Also what I hate is that the characters are giving clues all the time by talking, so where's the challenge in traversing the environment and figuring out puzzles?

People including journalists seem to be totally engulfed by hype, I feel like an honest opinion and review is hard to find about this game.

Have you played it though?

I disabled any prompts and played without it :P. I also disabled hints and such ^^.

The best parts isnt doing the stealth really, its when all hell breaks loose. The feeling you have during that is unrivaled seriously. For gods sake get the game now man :(

EDIT:
Want to add => You REALLY have to play it to -feel- whats so great. You're like seriously scared somewhat. Especially if you play on Hard/Survival.

No I haven't. I am tempted though because of all the praise and because my scepticism towards that praise.

I want to be proven wrong.

Exactly how much of the prompts and hints can be disabled? I love such a feature.

A ton really.
Strategic tips, Game hints, tutorial hints, show tag popups.

Play it man, do it, finish it and come tell us that you didnt enjoy it :> I feel like you just might be surprised but meh I dont know.

Slimebeast said:
eFKac said:
Slimebeast said:
KBG29 said:

What mak   TLOU gameplay great is the variety of choices you have going into each encounter and the strategys you can create. Every time you come across a group of enemies you can look around and determine a battle plan. How many supplies do I have? How many enemies can I see? Which types of enemies will I be facing? What is the patrol route of each enemy? Who do I need to engage, and who can I avoid to save supplies?

It certainly sounds like an intelligent and challenging game by your description, but I've heard the same stuff been said about Uncharted. And IMO the gameplay in Uncharted is mediocre at best.

The problem for me, is that it's the same people praising this game who also lifted Uncharted to the skies. People who often seem unable to distinguish gameplay from an emotionally engaging experience.

Yes I've watched it on YouTube. To me it seems there's an unnaturally easy and smooth flow when they play, even the people who play on Hard mode, they seem to always know the right way to handle situations, and they seldom die.

This to me suggests that the game is designed to make the player feel in complete control, that it subtly (but cynically) directs the player to always choose the optimal solution in each encounter and that it's too careful to protect the player from frustrations.

I'll try to adress this issue in a few hours. I'm off internet for a few hours. Stay tuned

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

What is great:
- It is real horror survival.
- The graphics
- The sound and music
- The stealth gameplay.
- The mood, the tension and overall feel that makes you imersed.
- The sense of danger
- The sense of fear
- The fact that, if you invest 10% of yourself, you are going to cry, like, 3, 4 times.
- The lenght, if you play correctly and take your time, it will last 26+ hours.
- The fun fun fun and tense multiplayer.
- The mechanics.
- The voice acting.

It is possible to hate this game, and it seens clear to me that some people will do whatever it takes to do it, BUT IT IS the most amazing game ever made.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.