By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Honest Question: What's so good about the Last of Us?

Off topic

You only have one game on PS3 and it is a Need for Speed Game? That's kind of odd...

On Topic

The game draws you in like no game before ever has IMO. Engaging characters and a gripping story with SOLID gameplay with a very TENSE feel. It is a treat that any PS3 owner should have a chance to play and enjoy. But it won't appeal to everyone because we all have our own tastes and feels as far as gaming goes. But it should definitely be tried though!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
KBG29 said:

What makes TLOU gameplay great is the variety of choices you have going into each encounter and the strategys you can create. Every time you come across a group of enemies you can look around and determine a battle plan. How many supplies do I have? How many enemies can I see? Which types of enemies will I be facing? What is the patrol route of each enemy? Who do I need to engage, and who can I avoid to save supplies?

It is so deep, so balanced, and well tuned everything just works. Every mechanic is so well refined you always feel in complete control.

This I think sums up the problem with modern game design. That's the design philosphy of most "dumbed down" games and Naughty Dogs are masters of it, that they always want the player to feel in control.

They design each encounter so the player tends to naturally make the best choice, or they design an encounter so that you can approach it in many  different ways and they all work. The player feels good about himself, seldom frustrated.

To me this is deception and I always get a very artificial feeling when playing this kind of game.

Instead, classical masterpiece games like Half-Life 2, Thief, Deus Ex and Dark Souls didn't make the player always feel in complete control. You often made the wrong choice, you felt frustrated, it was challenging. And that's what made them great.

Like the demos they've showed for say the latest Hitman or Splinter Cell games. They show how you can approach each mission in three different ways - pure stealth, lethal stealth or guns blazing - and we're supposed to be sooooo impressed. But if the level is very consciously and cynically designed with all of this in mind, that the player will always feel in complete control, then the end result will feel artifical and not satisfactory.

I think you took my meaning of always in control wrong. I am saying there was never a time were I got killed because of broken game mechanics. I never had a point were I tried to do something and the game refused to do it. It was a feeling of actually being the charactor. 

As far as enounter design and choice this game has plenty of wrong choices to be made. There is plenty of challange, but I never feel frusterated because I always knew why I had failed. It never felt like there was a time were the game purposfully just screwed me over, it was my wrong move that lead to my demise. 

I think it is very important to emphasize that this game never lets you walk through and be a bad ass. Even on easy you will get destoryed if you think you can just run in guns blazing. You have to use the envoirnment, and various techniquies if you have any thought of progressing. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Everything was incredible. The gameplay isn't all that special, but the fact that you had to scavenge and craft and all these RPG elements made it much more interesting.

You ever watch The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones? Same feeling when I play this game, it's that good. The combat is only a part of the overall package. You need to play from start to finish and follow the story etc. and you will see how well crafted this game is.

it's definitely the story, a demo just doesn't cut it

you see the bond the Joel and Ellie develop; from Joel thinking Ellie as a niusance to a father-daughter relationship. along with a steller cast of characters they come across during the game. the Graphics are just riveting and the story telling/pace is the best I've ever seen! It really feels like you're going on the journey as well.

your description just seems very broad though; the same can be said for assassin's creed(by taking a quick look at the games in your "currently playing list) or with call of duty where your literally just runin' n' gunin with the occassional knifing.

Around the Network

Story man, gameplay is pretty fun generally, nothing great, but the story is fantastic. It's really a game that you play for the story.

it will give you feels because it has zombie tropes

that translates to good gameplay right?

the_dengle said:

I don't think you have played it.

Mensrea said:
the_dengle said:

I don't think you have played it.

I have not played it. My friends have played it.

I did play The Walking Dead though, which is why I'm so bored with another "MY FEELZ BRO" zombie game being unanimously declared game of the year.

TWD was pretty meh. Gameplay was outright bad. TLOU looks like it has better gameplay of course, but still seems way too easy.

It really draws you into the story. It is just all around awesomeness.