By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U this Generations Dreamcast?

LiquorandGunFun said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Wii U is this generation's PS2, not Dreamcast.

Perfect, im going to use that one later.

Just check out any Wii U lifetime sales prediction threads, before Wii U's release. People saying nobody expected it to sell Wii amounts is wrong, a lot of Nintendo fans, well maybe hoped rather than expected, but still said it would do Wii like numbers. Gamestops claims of 500k preorders in their chain only fueled it back then...

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network
eFKac said:
Th3PANO said:

Wii U won't go the same way cause Nintendo has a lot more financial ressources then SEGA, will it sell as much as the Wii? No, nobody ever thought that, but it will be more then the N64.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5462168 check this out :P well technically he doesn't compare it to Wii but to PS2, but I'm sure you get the message

you take everything related to sony too seriously. was obviously sarcasm.

To be quite honest here..No I don't think the Wii U will be this gens Dreamcast. I actually think the PS4 will be this gens Dreamcast. Sony will do everything 'right' but still not be able to be profitable enough in order to off-set their huge debts, and will be forced to give up console making. Like Sega, Sony's financials are in a horrible place. Dreamcast was Sega doing everything 'right' and now they are a third party, Sony may face the same fate.

I think Wii U is the new Gamecube..or Virtual Boy. But Nintendo will survive to make another console.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Wii U is this gen's PS2

Sony would give up making TV's before it stopped making consoles especially since they made so much money on them previously and are making money on PS3 currently

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:

Wii U is this gen's PS2

Yes, the Wii U will definitely not see as much shovelware as the PS2, that's for sure.

Really, I hate to be a broken record. but this generation's going to be ten to twelve years long. The Wii U could sell at the same rate as the Gamecube from this point on--about 3 Million/year--and still double the Gamecube's lifetime sales. To match the PS2 would require a growth spurt, but it would never need to exceed 15 million a year on average.

(Besides, sales are misleading: these companies only care about software sales. The hardware sales just tell you about market penetration.)

No, i think the system will sell fine. 35-40 million, lifetime. i doubt any 8th gen system will sell as much as 7th gen.

Arius Dion said:
To be quite honest here..No I don't think the Wii U will be this gens Dreamcast. I actually think the PS4 will be this gens Dreamcast. Sony will do everything 'right' but still not be able to be profitable enough in order to off-set their huge debts, and will be forced to give up console making. Like Sega, Sony's financials are in a horrible place. Dreamcast was Sega doing everything 'right' and now they are a third party, Sony may face the same fate.

I think Wii U is the new Gamecube..or Virtual Boy. But Nintendo will survive to make another console.

The Wii U is already more successful than the VB

Nothing like the Dreamcast, it's probably going to sell around 40-50m during its 5 year lifespan.

I dont think so as most have pointed out that Sega was already in a bad situation already with their Saturn sales and Game Gear flopping so when they had the 3rd console flop then that was the final nail in their coffin but Nintendo has just come off their biggest gen yet with both their consoles taking 100 million+ (eventually). I figure if the Wii U starts to take off with the big name games coming out this year and 3rd parties get involved because of it, i could see the Wii U doing as well as 50 million+ and with the 3DS as hot as it is im sure they would be more then happy with that.