By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U this Generations Dreamcast?

No, it's an N64, or Gamecube at worst.

Around the Network

Of course its a failure. PS4 for the win...

Sorry but according to one mod, that is the only attitude you are allowed to have here.

considering that the Wii sold more than 10 millions in the same amount of time of the Wii U, it can be considered as a financial flop.

Also, the Wii U was released on the Holiday season, when the sales of basically everything grow up at a ridiculous speed.

lxhizy said:
considering that the Wii sold more than 10 millions in the same amount of time of the Wii U, it can be considered as a financial flop.

Also, the Wii U was released on the Holiday season, when the sales of basically everything grow up at a ridiculous speed.

Wii U just need to sell ONE single game to profit. So no, is not a financial flop.

Click HERE and be happy 

They could have added stereoscopic 3d on the gamepad. That what I thought they'd do when they first annouced a tablet in the pad. And all games could have been played whether on 720p on a normal TV or on stereoscopic 480p on the gamepad. It could have been interesting.
Maybe they'll do that for Wii U 2.
I know it would have interested me. They could have said: "Ok the Wii U is not powerful compared the other consoles BUT it has glass free 3D and you can play every games without any TV." instead of the actual lame "We have asynchronous gameplay!! it's fun!"

Imagine all the gamecube and Wii remakes in the same resolution 480p but in stereoscopic 3D like the 3DS?

Around the Network

Unfortunately the touchscreen would make that impossible. Every time you press the screen you would break the 3D effect.

snowdog said:
Unfortunately the touchscreen would make that impossible. Every time you press the screen you would break the 3D effect.

I think they have enough cash to RD those kinds of problems.

I mean one day I am sure we'll see stereoscopic 3d with integrated touch screen. It's not an impossible technology.

They'll find a way.

WiiU will eventually reach 35 to 45 million consoles.

Definetely not dreamcast.

I think the Wii U will be more in line with Nintendo's normal sales numbers before the Wii. The Wii was a one time thing. I don't see them replicating that success.

So it'll be more along the lines of N64 or Gamecube and I think Nintendo will be fine with those numbers, perhaps a little more than those would be good. They won't be swimming in money like after the Wii, but they'll make profit and move along no problem.

UltimateUnknown said:
I think the Wii U will be more in line with Nintendo's normal sales numbers before the Wii. The Wii was a one time thing. I don't see them replicating that success.

So it'll be more along the lines of N64 or Gamecube and I think Nintendo will be fine with those numbers, perhaps a little more than those would be good. They won't be swimming in money like after the Wii, but they'll make profit and move along no problem.

Yeah pretty much how I see it too. If they do a lot of things right with their 1st party software from here on out, then an N64 type result could be achievable. But the N64 had some epic freaking games, like Mario 64, GoldenEye, Zelda: OoT ... these types of games really defined a generation.

In that sense it's kinda sad to see EAD Tokyo and Retro working on much less ambitious types of projects like Mario 3D World and DKC: TF, which are straight forward sequels that look like HD Wii games. Likely being rushed out for this holiday. 

Whereas before, EAD Tokyo (Super Mario Galaxy) and Retro (Metroid Prime) made games that defined the last two generations and certainly were the showcase core titles for the previous two Nintendo home consoles.

So if their 1st party offerings are just "fun", rather than "epic, mind blowing!", then I think they are headed more towards a GameCube like result.