By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U this Generations Dreamcast?

snowdog said:
Nothing like the Dreamcast, it's probably going to sell around 40-50m during its 5 year lifespan.

I don't really see it. I think at this rate, Nintendo is going to be forutnate to put up N64 numbers in a 5 year span.

No offence to Nintendo themselves, but I don't think anyone is paying a lot of money for a console that's primarily backed by one company that can deliver maybe 4-6 major games a year (and that's in a good year, the Wii's later years are examples of not-so-good years).

Sony/MS/EA/Capcom etc. would all be in trouble trying to sell more than 30 million consoles with the type of third party support Nintendo is getting.

I think the console business is in for a retraction too, I think it's going to shrink back down the PS2/GCN/XBox era levels.

Around the Network

More like this generations Gamecube.

I think the Wii U will make its comeback after Mario Kart 8 and SSB are released

There's no question that like the Dreamcast the WiiU is underperforming. And based on N64, GC sales there's no reason to expect Nintendo's franchises to lift WiiU sales over 20-30m and at this point even 30m seems increasingly unlikely.

Aside from that there is no comparison. Nintendo is no Sega. WiiU can completely bomb and they'll release another system. I think most everyone agrees the 8th generation won't be as big as the 7th. It's now a declining market. We are also seeing something that we haven't witnessed since the 1st generation, which is everyone and their uncle Tom making 'home consoles'. You can poo-poo the Android home consoles/handhelds and Steam and whatnot all you want but they and mobile gaming in general will continue to pull consumers away from traditional home consoles. Just watch, after the initial spurt of great sales for PS4,XB1 (like WiiU's initial great spurt) their sales will also be underwhelming. They are not offer enough of a difference from the current gen from most people to pay $400-500 to upgrade. So while WiiU sales are pathetic, there won't be any PS2, or Wii in the 8th gen. Someone will win, but winning in a shrinking market won't be all that glorious. Also selling 20m in a shrinking market won't be all that horrible as Dreamcast's 10m in a then booming market was.

This generations totally looks like a second 6th generation... Nintendo, while I believe they will "comeback" somehow, like the guy above me said, Wii U sales won't surpase 30 million because of how unqualified it is to compete against its rivals.

on the other hand, xbox one sales won't be as high as expected neither, just because they are basically doing what Sony did wrong on the seventh generation, its price is inaccessible for many consumers, and the software and hardware capabilities are weaker than its main competitor, the PS4.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
Wii U is this generation's PS2, not Dreamcast.

Oh this put a smile on my face, nice.

BloodyRain said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

forget about the topic, I love the song of your siggy. lol

lxhizy said:
BloodyRain said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

forget about the topic, I love the song of your siggy. lol

Ya, just started listening to it a couple days ago. It has been on constant replay xD

Wii U hasnt failed, its been out only 7 months. Nintendo have launched early, tested the market,but have given themselves time to turn things around and learn from any mistakes. Also they have built up a 3.5 million install base within this time, which all things considered (lack of games) isnt too bad.

Soundwave said:
snowdog said:
Nothing like the Dreamcast, it's probably going to sell around 40-50m during its 5 year lifespan.

I don't really see it. I think at this rate, Nintendo is going to be forutnate to put up N64 numbers in a 5 year span.

No offence to Nintendo themselves, but I don't think anyone is paying a lot of money for a console that's primarily backed by one company that can deliver maybe 4-6 major games a year (and that's in a good year, the Wii's later years are examples of not-so-good years).

Sony/MS/EA/Capcom etc. would all be in trouble trying to sell more than 30 million consoles with the type of third party support Nintendo is getting.

I think the console business is in for a retraction too, I think it's going to shrink back down the PS2/GCN/XBox era levels.

Third party support is going to improve from next year onwards when the installed userbase grows due to the plethora of first and second party titles being released from now until December. Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong, Wii Fit and Super Mario 3D World will help the Wii U regain momentum and there's plenty more coming next year to continue that further, including Mario Kart 8 which is going to be a huge system seller.