By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people think the PS3 sucks

meh, to me the PS3 is a multimedia machine first, and a games console second. I dont want blu ray tbh, im fine with DVDs atm as im not willing to invest hundreds of pounds in something when i dont know if it is even going to last. Also, i can use my PC to run most of my multimedia apps, such as Divx, etc, so there is no need for a PS3 in that department...

Games wise, there arent a huge range of good games for it... there hasnt been one game ont he console that has made me want to buy it for that game... while both the Wii and 360 do ahve games which would result in me buying the console for them.

On another note.. Sony PR has probably been the most hilarious thing ever, they are absolutely rediculous.

Around the Network

I don't "Hate" the console, but i do think it is over-rated

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

This is a console war. The enemies have horns and tails. And they want to take our freedom.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

People think it sucks because of the perception they got at launch from news sources who compared its sales to the Wii. People didn't know the Wii sales were that spectacular at first, and they assumed perhaps the 360 just hadn't got its legs at first, when it launched.

This popularity contest that popped up, left the PS3 out in third place, or last place, in most peoples eyes, and it's HARD to change a first impression. Sony is doing it though, as the 360 also has kinda ruined its rep with RRoD issues.

I think you need to look to the last gen on this. We gamers are a forgiving lot, most times. Delay a game and a console, we get over it ... have a few hardware issues  but a killer lineup, we get over it ... have delays, hardware issues but no real system moving games? Gamers get pissed.

Here's the deal - the PS2 had the infamous disk read error - had it happen on two consoles, and I know a few gamers who dealt with that prob. Yet ... it whipped the Xbox. Why? Exclusives. The Xbox also plays DVDs, well I may add, and graphics were superior on the Xbox. However, the PS2 had a ton of exclusive that either took years to make its way on the Xbox, or never saw the light of day.

In the end, exclusive games are what propelled the PS2's success. Disk errors didn't really matter to gamers - they still bought the system ... 

Username2324 said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:
Rath said:
It doesn't suck but its hardly problem free, to be honest a large amount of the problem actually came from Sonys bumbling PR. Telling consumers they will buy the console even if it doesn't have games, telling them rumble is 'last gen' then adding it and saying that BC is an important part of their strategy then dropping it like a rock are just some of the major screw ups their PR team has made in the last year or so.

However if you want me to list some problems with the console;
Unnecessary use of HD media adding to the launch price
Said launch price being far too high
Actual physical size being extremely large
Apparently extremely hard to develop for leading to huge dev budgets
Far too many changes causing large amounts of confusion (20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB)
None of them make the console suck by any means though.

lol I quoted that onto my Microsoft OneNote app so I can post it again for reference, and I have you as the quoter. I also saved the link to this thread as reference as to end all PS3 fanboy hate threads.

To answer the OP, I don't think it sucks. I just hate how Sony marketed the system and how they try to lower the price by lying and backstabbing customers on the commercial, BY NOT SAYING WHY THE SYSTEM COSTS $399. They NEED to mention WHY the 40GB model is being sold at that price and what features, or lack there of.

I really don't like you, and you don't seem to understand that commercials aren't telling you why something costs what it does, its representing the console.

Again, do Wii commercials tell you that the Console is $250 because it uses old technology, does it tell you that it only costs $150 to make a Wii, and they are charging you a full $100 extra? No. Your argument FAILS. Honestly, do you really think ANY company would say what their product doesn't have? Use common sense.

Even if you were to argue that it is only $399 because they dropped BC, it's still well worth it. AND it still has more features then both other consoles. 

Dude, shut the fuck up. You're starting to REALLY piss me off. You are flaming the hell out of me and you disgust me to no end. I'm reporting your ass again because you are not dealt with. I'm sick with little fuckers like you who mess and bash people for no reason. Go play your Blu-Ray player that has no fun games, and even if it did have some, they suck like donkey balls because of Sony's poor and pathetic marketing. It's a shame for someone like you to come onto a chat forum and bash people and what they like. No one obviously likes little fuckers like you. Either go off and die, or I'll report your ass.

Around the Network

hmm without the offensive words i would agree with you

i lolled at donkey balls though, reminds me of AVGN

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

- Sony Cockiness, Sony Execs expecting legions of fans to gobble a $600 console that plays 360 ports on launch day

- Fanboys such as Crazzyman, Hus, and Blue3 would even give the virgin Mary a badname

- I'm tired of hearing "The games are coming! The games are coming!" and only getting dissappointed

The console itself doesn't suck, its everything else associated with it.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

I've not seen anyone openly saying it sucks, it just gets a lot of pepper simply for being a PS3.
Much like Microsoft get a lot of pepper (from me as well...) for being Microsoft. Its how the internet works, everyones maturity falls by a decade when things aren't face to face.

Here are some random things why I'm not the biggest Sony fan:

1. They dominated for 2 generations with inferior consoles.
2. The pretty much single handedly put Sega out of the console business (if someone eliminated your favourite hockey team from playoffs you'd be pissed too)
3. The hype behind their systems is rediculous because their senior management lies their butts off. (ps2 having star wars episode one like graphics...right!)
4. They don't bring anything to the table when it comes to software. One can count the good games Sony's in-house dev teams made on two hands in the last 10 years. their good games mostly come from 3rd party companies.
5. They still don't know how to make a good D-pad on a controller.

Now I have to admit that PS3 is starting to look promissing but it still doesn't offer anything new gaming wise when compared to the 360 which was there a year earlier.

PS3 actually reminds me of the Sega Saturn (inferior ports on a better console machine, hard to program for, best components, retarded management decisions)

disolitude said:
Here are some random things why I'm not the biggest Sony fan:

1. They dominated for 2 generations with inferior consoles.
2. The pretty much single handedly put Sega out of the console business (if someone eliminated your favourite hockey team from playoffs you'd be pissed too)
3. The hype behind their systems is rediculous because their senior management lies their butts off. (ps2 having star wars episode one like graphics...right!)
4. They don't bring anything to the table when it comes to software. One can count the good games Sony's in-house dev teams made on two hands in the last 10 years. their good games mostly come from 3rd party companies.
5. They still don't know how to make a good D-pad on a controller.

Now I have to admit that PS3 is starting to look promissing but it still doesn't offer anything new gaming wise when compared to the 360 which was there a year earlier.

PS3 actually reminds me of the Sega Saturn (inferior ports on a better console machine, hard to program for, best components, retarded management decisions)

I agree with most of that, but you underestimate their software. While it is nowhere near Nintendo's quality, Sony still makes some very good games.

And you forgot three things when comparing it to the Saturn: way too big, overpriced, and corporate arrogance. Oh, and PS3 is like a leech on Sony profits, just as the Saturn was for SEGA.