Here are some random things why I'm not the biggest Sony fan:
1. They dominated for 2 generations with inferior consoles.
2. The pretty much single handedly put Sega out of the console business (if someone eliminated your favourite hockey team from playoffs you'd be pissed too)
3. The hype behind their systems is rediculous because their senior management lies their butts off. (ps2 having star wars episode one like graphics...right!)
4. They don't bring anything to the table when it comes to software. One can count the good games Sony's in-house dev teams made on two hands in the last 10 years. their good games mostly come from 3rd party companies.
5. They still don't know how to make a good D-pad on a controller.
Now I have to admit that PS3 is starting to look promissing but it still doesn't offer anything new gaming wise when compared to the 360 which was there a year earlier.
PS3 actually reminds me of the Sega Saturn (inferior ports on a better console machine, hard to program for, best components, retarded management decisions)
I agree with most of that, but you underestimate their software. While it is nowhere near Nintendo's quality, Sony still makes some very good games.
And you forgot three things when comparing it to the Saturn: way too big, overpriced, and corporate arrogance. Oh, and PS3 is like a leech on Sony profits, just as the Saturn was for SEGA.