By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Heartbroken Xbox One employee lets rip.

Tagged games:

First Impressions: This must be fake.

But considering how well written this is, I'm willing to give it a chance.

" When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. "

This is what the family plan was. FREAKIN' DEMOS! How is this revolutionary again? How is there not a catch to it? It's completely the opposite of what people thought it was. No surprise there!

Around the Network

What an asshole. Now that we know that family sharing is a demo, how about all publishers give demos with timelimits. I just saved game sharing.

I love the used game arguement that buying used games takes away money from publishers. If I sell a game to a friend he doesnt magically get another copy. I lose my copy and he gains a copy.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Jadedx said:

LOL if you think used game sales is not killing gaming, there have been multiple articles saying this for years.

I know you are going to  compare it stuff like used movies, music, and cars so let me poke holes in that before you even bring it up.

These are the ways creators make money off of their products.

Movies  =  4 streams of revenue: Theater, digital rentals, dvd sales, tv syndication.

Music =  3  streams of revenue: Radio, concerts, music streaming sites.

Cars = different model,  much higher profit margin much longer length of ownership.

Games = 2  streams of revenue first sale (dd or disc), dlc, and not everyone who gets the disc buys dlc.

Another thing of note is that movies and music don't have stores like gamestop pushing used sales.

Really?

Every city has used sales companies doing just that for all media types along with swap meets selling ripped fake products far easier than fake games.

Used markets in every market has the same benefit of keeping flowing. People buy new, resell with some loss and buy another new. Then there are those who can't afford new and get into a market via its cheaper used sibling. Then when they grow up and have cash.. guess what. They buy new.

Gaming also has new sales and rentals for revenue. Gaming also has FAR higher initial costs than music/movie. Kinda why big games actually create more revenue that big movies a lot of the time. Gaming also, like movies, has resells of the same content due to releasing variations. (GOTY, etc)

Gaming needs to focus on making digital markets (where there are far lower costs to the publisher/dev) more attractive like Steam does. People will largely naturally shift to them over time and overall there will be more units sold in general due to lower prices.

Used gaming is a scapegoat. If it were removed, people wouldn't magically spend more money on games. They'd just buy less. Causing an actually reduction in games purchased and therefore less money earned by content makers.

These companies need to make better games. Don't rush out bloated over-budget crap. Streamline their business model and focus on quality. Why do you think Nintendo was still the most profitable gaming company during Gamecube days? Why do you think their content like Mario Kart or Zelda will remain $50 (full price) for years later, well beyond anything any other AAA game does? They create value in what they make. In every case a AAA Nintendo game holds a far higher resell / long-term value than any other publisher for this one reason alone.

Jadedx said:
oniyide said:
Jadedx said:
Again, this is a fake pastebin post.

And here are the benefits to the gamer and publisher.
things like game sharing, real game sharing which they have explained that you could play the FULL game, keeping game prices low, a hub to buy and sell digital licenses, etc.

http://gizmodo.com/cheaper-games-my-ass-sorry-but-you-are-naive-if-you-th-514436029

Short sighted people always ruin things for the rest of us.

they could have done that without the horrible DRM restrictions. Maybe we are not short sighted

And how exactly would the prevent game share exploitation without DRM?  Seriously, tell me. How could we get steam like prices on a CONSISTANT basis without restrictions to used games?

Probably the same way SONY was doing it for years, with up to FIVE people, sans DRM. Plus we didnt even know how it was going to work, word is that it was just gonna be a demo anyway. Steam like prices? People believe that? We were NEVER going to get those on consoles, ever. You know why Steam prices are so good on PC? because they have competition. Steam is not the only game in town, there are multiple digital distributors onlin e. Amazon and Gog, just to name two more. THey competitively price their games. How can that happen on a CLOSED system like XBL? It cant, they will price it whatever the hell they want, becasue there is no competition there. Look right now and you tell me how much bargains are on the store. Not even close to Steam

So, what? You mean that vaunted "game sharing" feature was basically the same as the Soul Sacrifice demo on the Vita, where you got to play the early part of the game and keep your saves for the full version? That's seriously supposed to make up for all the stuff that they wanted to get rid of? Not to mention how PS+ has been offering trials with full games for well over a year now.

Also, love how this guy stands by the "buy a 360 if you don't like it" comments. I would've gladly ignored the Xone had your superiors not been smart enough to change course.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Around the Network
Jadedx said:

things like game sharing, real game sharing which they have explained that you could play the FULL game, keeping game prices low, a hub to buy and sell digital licenses, etc.

http://gizmodo.com/cheaper-games-my-ass-sorry-but-you-are-naive-if-you-th-514436029

Fail.

Xbox one had preorders stopped at gamestop. Preorders were under ps4 in every single market. Massive backlash from everyone, even mainstream media. Even casuals at jimmy kimmel were clapping for playstation's anti xbox policies.

Now after the reversal, sales and preorders are up, drm is out, and people are happy again to just have an always on surveillance device watching them. All in all, this was the best possible decision. So, clearly, you are wrong according to the majority of people's wallets.

Jadedx said:

How could we get steam like prices on a CONSISTANT basis without restrictions to used games?

Because a digital copy of a game costs a tiny fraction of a retail physical copy to the publisher/dev. There is no reason they can't have physical start at $60 and digital at $50. They'll still make more net income on that digital version and create a naturally healthy way to transition to a no used game scenario as well as build consumer confidence in digital content.

Then as it get older that digital copy also drops faster in price as it should... just like steam. With random special sales for like $2 for a year old game... just like steam.

Why do you think XLive and PSN+ can both give you multiple free games each month for being a subscriber and still have those subscriptions be highly profitable for them? Because that digital game is nearly costless for them to offer.

Stop bringing up nintendo, nintendo fans are sheep that buy anything nintendo, not because their games are quality, look at wii music, mario sports games, endless mario party rehashes, links crossbow training, etc.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags (Not Khan!)

Jadedx said:
oniyide said:
Jadedx said:

they could have done that without the horrible DRM restrictions. Maybe we are not short sighted

And how exactly would the prevent game share exploitation without DRM?  Seriously, tell me. How could we get steam like prices on a CONSISTANT basis without restrictions to used games?

Isn't the wholep point of game sharing to you know, not pay for it? PSNs game sharing feature is the best IMO. Your PSN account can be activated on up to 2 PS3s(including your own). This is a simple way to game share and leaves no room for exploitation. You would only give your login details to someone you trust

You can only get Steam-like prices on a purely digital system. As long as retail is in the mix, there's no chance of getting digital games for really low prices. Hell, we're lucky if we even get $5 off. There's no guarantee though. Publishers can be greedy.

Rafux said:
Seems like a master troll. Its fake in my opinion.

maybe yes, maybe not

Click HERE and be happy