By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Heartbroken Xbox One employee lets rip.

Tagged games:

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

oh ok, i missed understood but i dont know how we got into 2nd hand copies and raising prices, i was never for that.

The guy in the OP talked about having to make sacrifices, and raising gme prices and blocking used game sales are two methods I've heard suggested as the kind of "sacrifices" we might have to make to fund more and more expensive game development.

i must have missed that, or forgot. But thats dumb. How about they just dont make expensive ass games? Insane!

Yeah, if you're COD or GTA I can see a 60 million dollar budget being justified by the all but confirmed massive sales, but to try to apply the same business model to less super-popular franchises seems crazy to me. Of course it's not going to be sustainable.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

oh ok, i missed understood but i dont know how we got into 2nd hand copies and raising prices, i was never for that.

The guy in the OP talked about having to make sacrifices, and raising gme prices and blocking used game sales are two methods I've heard suggested as the kind of "sacrifices" we might have to make to fund more and more expensive game development.

i must have missed that, or forgot. But thats dumb. How about they just dont make expensive ass games? Insane!

Yeah, if you're COD or GTA I can see a 60 million dollar budget being justified by the all but confirmed massive sales, but to try to apply the same business model to less super-popular franchises seems crazy to me. Of course it's not going to be sustainable.

its greed, these companies want the numbers those games pull in the irony is, I doubt COD costs that much to make anyway, considering its been running on the same engine since codmw4. GTA is probably that high

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:
curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

This.

Such budgets are ONLY justifiable with franchises that have consistently sold enough to get a return on them. I think even $100 million isn't crazy for something like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto, because both have proven time and against to make that money back with interest. COD, in particular, has been pulling in nonsense numbers like clockwork for nearly the entirety of this generation. They can spend as much as they want until that stops, as far as I'm concerned.

The real problem, as you said, is that everyone thinks they can just get that same return on investment because they're willing to put the same amount of money in. COD's success is testament to COD's popularity; I think it's a horrible measure of general market trends considering how it's such an outlier in terms of sales.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D