By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So with Microsoft seeing the light, any chance for $400?

So?

Yes 19 7.14%

No 189 71.05%

Maybe 58 21.80%

Total:266

They could make different SKUs like Xbox 360 and sell a bare bones Xbone without the Kinect and a smaller hard drive for cheaper.

Around the Network

Not a chance in hell. I do hope they rip out that kinect stuff and drop it $100 then i might consider getting one.

Dr.J said:
MS is just trying to save itself from itself right now. They straight up LIED about the reasons for the online check-ins and other policies. It was supposedly for a cloud-based connected experience... if that were really the case they wouldn't be able to just change their policies without affecting that experience. Turns out they were just trying to justify sticking it to gamers. I'm glad they changed some of their policies, but really at this point I've already jumped out of the Xboat... I'll see MS for their next console reveal 5 or so years from now and consider what they have to offer then. As it is, my trust is violated and I don't take the position they chose lightly.

I'm by no means praising Sony, they were certainly out of touch with gamers when they released the PS3 at $499/599 and made all kinds of arrogant statements like the "get a second job", PS3 will have "4D", and other crazy stuff. Xbox One is this generations PS3 debacle. MS got way to into themselves and started acting like they always do when they think they can get away with it.

$399 though... not happening. That it involves way too much coordination for them.... changing policies before launch is easier to do than after. Changing the price can easily come 6 or 7 months after release date without losing face. MS did that for the original xbox back in 2002.

Link? Common sense (and a few Microsoft people themselves) said the online check was for checking that your library in case you sold games. How does it relate to the cloud? If you were online all the time yes, but you only had to be online for a minute a day, so???

And no I don't think they will cut price, bes tthing they can do is bundle a game and tout kinect + game as a good reason to plonk down an extra $100.

There was no chance in hell DRM would be dropped to wasn't there?

I'd say It's not impossible. Maybe throw some games in or something to give the bundle more "value", it costs less to bundle with games then a outright price drop.

Either way, recall how well the Kinect sold. Theres a good chance people will be willing to spend the extra $100. Afterall, It's only $100.

It's just that simple.

Dr.J said:
MS is just trying to save itself from itself right now. They straight up LIED about the reasons for the online check-ins and other policies. It was supposedly for a cloud-based connected experience... if that were really the case they wouldn't be able to just change their policies without affecting that experience. Turns out they were just trying to justify sticking it to gamers. I'm glad they changed some of their policies, but really at this point I've already jumped out of the Xboat... I'll see MS for their next console reveal 5 or so years from now and consider what they have to offer then. As it is, my trust is violated and I don't take the position they chose lightly.

I'm by no means praising Sony, they were certainly out of touch with gamers when they released the PS3 at $499/599 and made all kinds of arrogant statements like the "get a second job", PS3 will have "4D", and other crazy stuff. Xbox One is this generations PS3 debacle. MS got way to into themselves and started acting like they always do when they think they can get away with it.

$399 though... not happening. That it involves way too much coordination for them.... changing policies before launch is easier to do than after. Changing the price can easily come 6 or 7 months after release date without losing face. MS did that for the original xbox back in 2002.

Clarification (what other policies) and link(s)? I would like to read about exactly what you are referring to.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Not without subsidizing the console's price. Perhaps the subsidy they used on the 360 didn't work, which is why they didn't employ it on the one. Sony tends to be the only company that would take a financial hit to make a console more affordable to their consumers.

We know they are not the only company that takes a financial hit on consoles. Why even make a statement like that?

MonstaMack said:

There was no chance in hell DRM would be dropped to wasn't there?

I'd say It's not impossible. Maybe throw some games in or something to give the bundle more "value", it costs less to bundle with games then a outright price drop.

Either way, recall how well the Kinect sold. Theres a good chance people will be willing to spend the extra $100. Afterall, It's only $100.

Well ya, but I honestly don't see myself using kinect very much at all so an extra $100 is ifyy. I can instead use it on some games. All these console will cost atleast $500+ since you need games/live/psplus etc.

Capulous said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Not without subsidizing the console's price. Perhaps the subsidy they used on the 360 didn't work, which is why they didn't employ it on the one. Sony tends to be the only company that would take a financial hit to make a console more affordable to their consumers.

We know they are not the only company that takes a financial hit on consoles. Why even make a statement like that?

Because Nintendo always profits Microsoft profited off of the 360 and the original Playstation, PS2 and PS3 were all sold at a loss. The PS3 was sold at a massive loss, with Sony bleeding through the teeth, but they deserved that. The Kinect is the reason the Xbone is $100 ontop of the other OS types. Microsoft needs to subsidize their gaming experience for their consumers if they want their sales to jump up at launch.

They might remove kinect from the bundle but i think kinect is far more integrated in the console then the always online ever was

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Because Nintendo always profits Microsoft profited off of the 360 and the original Playstation, PS2 and PS3 were all sold at a loss. The PS3 was sold at a massive loss, with Sony bleeding through the teeth, but they deserved that. The Kinect is the reason the Xbone is $100 ontop of the other OS types. Microsoft needs to subsidize their gaming experience for their consumers if they want their sales to jump up at launch.

Microsoft sold the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 at a loss. There was something about Nintendo made a profit with the Wii U with the sale of one game. That means the console itself was sold for a slight loss. Sega sold the Dreamcast at a loss. It's hard to say with the PS4 and the Xbox One, but with what information that has been posted so far; it points to the PS4 making a profit at launch.