By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies..

------------ update 2 woops there it is-------------------------------------------------------
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

• Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

------------ update-------------------------------------------------------

its partly real!

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this information is no longer accurate

Q:    Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?
A:    No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.

--------------------------original post------------------------------------

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies

Sources indicate Microsoft is going to move away from what's caused the company so much headache.

The tug-of-war between Microsoft and Sony just got more interesting. Multiple sources inform me Microsoft will announce what amounts to a complete reversal on its DRM policies for Xbox One today.

What does this mean?

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

It is unclear what caused this huge change in policy right after E3, a week where Microsoft executives spent days explaining, justifying, and talking about its policies to the press. I suspect Microsoft’s official announcement will say something to the effect of “we've been closely listening to consumer feedback.”

Based on what I’m being told, that’s definitely true.

I've reached out to Microsoft for comment.
-------------------------------

internetz wins!

*this thread should have been made by Nsanity.. I was just seeing someting on Twitter.. Nsanity is the True MS Hero this site deserves

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

I'll believe it when I see it, but I certainly hope they do.

Good for them, but i'm no longer interested. The damage is already done.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Sceptical but this would make a lot of people happy (including myself). There are already meltdowns at GAF.

Xbox 180.

Holy shit if this is true.

Around the Network

as long as it doesn't mean no game sharing anymore i'm fine with it. if it means no game sharing anymore, i want the evil system lol

Holy acorns, if this ends happening then LOL. That would be nuts, some serious form of madness. The internet would still make fun of them funny enough.

Today? Well, we'll see about that!

Gamers wins after alll... thanks if true.

I guess MS more serious issues related to Xbone hardware than DRM policies.. so they will focus in what really matter and go trash these bad DRM policies decisions.

If MS did that then they will receive a plus from my personal.

I would welcome the day I can stop calling that console the Xbone. But I have my doubts it is true.

Leave it 'till next console and drop discs completely. Then no one will complain.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix