By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 interface revealed in commercial (SO SWEET!)

Interface is great, simple and quick between transitions.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network

"Are you playing 'Knack'?"
"Bitch, you know you can see what I'm playing..."

4 ≈ One

But PS4 doesn't do multitasking. Microsoft said so.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

S.T.A.G.E. said:
eFKac said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
eFKac said:
I liked Sarah.

Yeah well the UI looks modern. So a lot of pictures and buttons, not much to read. I guess that's good.

It was quick, seamless, and looks like you can do a lot of multitasking, that's definitely a plus.
I wonder how much RAM did they dedicate to the non gaming side of the console, cause it wasn't clarified yet, right? We're only speculating it's 1 or 2 gigs.

1GB.

Can you provide a source?

Your speculation makes sense, I cant see one OS being 2 GB unless its windows.

So you meant it makes no sense :P

Well the non gaming, entertainment aspect is important for a lot of people, they will use it as a mulitmedia hub not only a games console. And 1GB of reserved RAM is not much. 

It's basically the same ammount that Wii U uses, and we don't really whether the latency of GDDR5 memory will have any effect here. And a lot of people complained how slow the Wii U UI is (or was I don't know whether N fixed it) and it isn't really a multimedia beast, is it? Except for TVii and Miiverse (if I'm not mixing the names) it doesn't have any demanding, exotic applications on board.

So I from a business standpoint I would rather have Sony go the safe route here, reserve 2GB of memory, wait and see if something new isn't going to be a new industry standard, competition comes up with something worth implementing, or any new ideas. Then if nothing of this becomes true, or 1, or 1,5 gigs turns out to be enough , they could always unlock the unused amount of memory for games. With 1GB there is no way back. They can't reserve more afterwards.

There is also the thing, whether PS4 will properly utilise the 7GB of memory with games. I read some articles stating that 8GB of RAM is a slight overkill for the other parts of the hardware. If that's true or not I don't know. The PS4 seems like a realy well planned architecture and console overall, but we know that the additional 4GBs or RAM was a rather last minute call. Of course as a gamer, the more RAM for games, the better, for me. But on the other hand I would like to have it properly utilised, not only used as a way to develop games with less optimisation in mind.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

The video is better then the Wii U's at E3 last year. The interface loos good.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
"Are you playing 'Knack'?"
"Bitch, you know you can see what I'm playing..."

LOL

They have learned a lot from microsoft

eFKac said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
eFKac said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
eFKac said:
I liked Sarah.

Yeah well the UI looks modern. So a lot of pictures and buttons, not much to read. I guess that's good.

It was quick, seamless, and looks like you can do a lot of multitasking, that's definitely a plus.
I wonder how much RAM did they dedicate to the non gaming side of the console, cause it wasn't clarified yet, right? We're only speculating it's 1 or 2 gigs.

1GB.

Can you provide a source?

Your speculation makes sense, I cant see one OS being 2 GB unless its windows.

So you meant it makes no sense :P

Well the non gaming, entertainment aspect is important for a lot of people, they will use it as a mulitmedia hub not only a games console. And 1GB of reserved RAM is not much. 

It's basically the same ammount that Wii U uses, and we don't really whether the latency of GDDR5 memory will have any effect here. And a lot of people complained how slow the Wii U UI is (or was I don't know whether N fixed it) and it isn't really a multimedia beast, is it? Except for TVii and Miiverse (if I'm not mixing the names) it doesn't have any demanding, exotic applications on board.

So I from a business standpoint I would rather have Sony go the safe route here, reserve 2GB of memory, wait and see if something new isn't going to be a new industry standard, competition comes up with something worth implementing, or any new ideas. Then if nothing of this becomes true, or 1, or 1,5 gigs turns out to be enough , they could always unlock the unused amount of memory for games. With 1GB there is no way back. They can't reserve more afterwards.

There is also the thing, whether PS4 will properly utilise the 7GB of memory with games. I read some articles stating that 8GB of RAM is a slight overkill for the other parts of the hardware. If that's true or not I don't know. The PS4 seems like a realy well planned architecture and console overall, but we know that the additional 4GBs or RAM was a rather last minute call. Of course as a gamer, the more RAM for games, the better, for me. But on the other hand I would like to have it properly utilised, not only used as a way to develop games with less optimisation in mind.

Thats the estimate seeing that the Xbox One will have like three operating systems. 3 of the 8 GB of the Xbox Ones RAM will be taken up, so since the PS4 only has one the estimation is 1 to 1.5 GB. Looks like they are trying to keep the OS, fast, simple and efficient with the capacity of multitasking. A GB should do if its used properly, I believe.

WebmasterX said:
They have learned a lot from microsoft

Thus making it look like Metro? :)

Too fast commercial to get a decent look, no opinion yet.