By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What Entry Level RWD Sports car should I get?

Tagged games:

Which one?

Subaru BRZ Cabrio 3 9.68%

Subaru BRZ STI 6 19.35%

Subaru BRZ STI Cabrio 3 9.68%

BMW 335i (or 335is) 5 16.13%

BMW 235i 0 0%

Porsche Boxer 5 16.13%

Other 6 19.35%

See Results 3 9.68%

Total:31

How is Boxter (Entry level)?

Around the Network
disolitude said:
I'd get a 1990s V8 mustang or Camaro and soup it up a bit...

Depends if you want excitement while driving or you want to just impress teenage/college chicks.

V8 power and torque with no traction control, no true ABS, no computer, no stability control...is extremely exciting to drive. You screw up slightly, youre dead! Beats anything a modern car can provide in terms of excitement on the real road.

But yeah, if you want to impress young ladies, all those cars are cool.

I hear you there, that's why this is probably my last chance to get a good car now. Stability control is required on all 2013 cars now, traction control already can't be turned off on many cars, and more and more cars just have a stupid nav screen....

I like the way old mustangs drive, but I want a bit more refinement, and feedback. Mustangs are a bit heavy, they feel like boats to drive, a BRZ and BMW, while slower in a straight line, are nimble. They still slide when you want them to, but they also stick when you want to corner fast.

Anyway, I already have a gf, 4 years now. So I'm not trying to impress anyone, but I want a fun RWD stick shift car as a daily drivers, omething dependable. I'll save up for an old 911 when I'm older and have money, and use this to go back and forth to work.

g911turbo said:
Go for the CPO 335i sedan if you need 4 doors. If you get a 2010 model, you'll still get the true twin turbo n54 motor. Not to mention 1 year worth of full maintenance, and 2 more years up to 100K miles of CPO coverage including power train, fuel pumps, electrical motors, etc. 

You can get those for under 30 a lot of times, and under 35 ALL DAY.

LOL, I hear that, and the steering will still be hydraulic, which make a HUGE difference. If I go BMW, I'm going coupe, you get a lower seating position, and the car feels a bit different.

JerCotter7 said:
Pretty much all the cars in the OP are in completely different classes to each other.

The only advice anyone can give you here is to drive all of them. See which you like most. Then try others that are similar to that.

I drove a BRZ, and a 335i. I also drove other recommended cars like an Infinity G37, Mustang, and a Camaro. I love the 335i and BRZ, haven't driven a boxer, but because it only has 2 seats, I probably shouldn't get it.

Anyway, I'm not getting a car for 4 years, but seeing other peoples suggestions, and their impressions of the cars, I'm pretty sure it's either going to be a BRZ STI, 335i or the new Mustang when it releases (look a couple posts up for picture). The thing now is, I'll have to see where the market goes in 4 years, for all I know, Honda will make an entry RWD car too, the BRZ came unexpectedly.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

antfromtashkent said:
How is Boxter (Entry level)?

Used, you can get one for <30k, <5 years old. Same price as a BRZ new.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

The current generation (fifth) Mustang is one of the best looking ones of all time. And a 3.7L 6 cylinder engine that gets 19 city and 31 highway is excellent fuel economy. Of course if they stick with the current plans and make the sixth generation Mustang look like a Ford Fusion coupe then the Mustang no longer is one of the best looking looking sport coupes.

ArnoldRimmer said:
With oil prices expected to double within the next 10 years, efficiency would be a top priority for me.

Good point but in NA gas is relatively cheap and even if oil does double it will probably only be slightly more expensive then it is in Germany right now. 

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
The current generation (fifth) Mustang is one of the best looking ones of all time. And a 3.7L 6 cylinder engine that gets 19 city and 31 highway is excellent fuel economy. Of course if they stick with the current plans and make the sixth generation Mustang look like a Ford Fusion coupe then the Mustang no longer is one of the best looking looking sport coupes.

I actually don't like the look of the current Mustang, but love the look of the upcoming 6th generation. Also according to Ford.ca, the 3.7L V6 Mustang gets 26mpg city, 45 hwy, 35 combined (more then you claim).

Which stat is true? If I go to cars.com, or another website it gives me your figure for Mustang fuel economy.

Anyway, a manual would burn a bit more gas, about the same as my car, which is okay for now, but bad for the future. I spend $60 for a tank biweekly now, that's going to become $60 weekly when a get a job, and when gas prices double that's $120 a week, or $6,000 a year. However, except for mybe the BRZ not many RWD cars will retun much better fuel economy. This is the sacrifice I might make for good performance.

Mustang is my third choice, but I'll wait for the new one. I don't like American looking cars, the concept images of the 6th gen Mustang make it look like a DB9, which is just sexy.

None of the above, get a Toyota FT-86, same playform as the BRZ, better pricing and even better balance. It's very nearly a perfect sportscar according to almost everyone who has driven one. It also has really good build quality and factory waranty.
Or, a Nissan 370Z might be an alternative, more powerful than the others, sublime balance, lots of torque and decent second hand value.

Mummelmann said:
None of the above, get a Toyota FT-86, same playform as the BRZ, better pricing and even better balance. It's very nearly a perfect sportscar according to almost everyone who has driven one. It also has really good build quality and factory waranty.
Or, a Nissan 370Z might be an alternative, more powerful than the others, sublime balance, lots of torque and decent second hand value.

In North America, Toyota markets the Toyota FT-86 as a Scion FRS, and yes I've driven one, it's possibly the best handling sports car I ever drove, the interior volume is perfect, 4 seats, it could be the most perfect sports car I ever drove. However 0-100km/h in 7.7s is pretty slow.

A Nissan 370Z doesn't drive that well. It's heavy, only a couple hundred lb less then an Infinity G37, or a BMW 335i, so it makes sense just to get the 4 seaters with nicer interior. I might do this, a 335i goes 0-100km/h in 5.6s (5.8 in the Cabrio), but the only drawback is a hardtop convertible.

I'm waiting on a BRZ STI, cabriolet, lol. If I need a car sooner, It's realistically going to be a second hand BMW 335i.

Well I like classic cars that's why I like the current (fifth) more then the upcoming gen better.  If where to rank then by looks it would be 1. first gen 2. fifth gen 3. fourth gen 4. third gen 5. second gen.  Also I got my fuel economy from fueleconomy.gov based on the 2013 automatic model.    One postive thing about the next generation Mustang I'm sure it will get even better gas milage their will be a version with a eco boost engine and maybe even a hybrid version down the road.

Chris Hu said:

Well I like classic cars that's why I like the current (fifth) more then the upcoming gen better.  If where to rank then by looks it would be 1. first gen 2. fifth gen 3. fourth gen 4. third gen 5. second gen.  Also I got my fuel economy from fueleconomy.gov based on the 2013 automatic model.    One postive thing about the next generation Mustang I'm sure it will get even better gas milage their will be a version with a eco boost engine and maybe even a hybrid version down the road.

Yea, but it will be an I4 Turbo, I'm not sure if I want an I4 Mustang with an engine from a Ford Fusion, lol.

Thanks for the website link, the manual is 19/22/29 which is almost identical to my current car. The BRZ Manual is 22/25/30, so about 10% more fuel efficient, which isn't much, but that could be $600 a year savings with todays gas prices. The 335i Manual Coupe os 19/22/28, so the same as the Mustang, so doable.

So it looks like, whatever car I get, will burn about as much gas as my car, maybe slightly less. I sure hope gas prices don't jump too much, but again if they do, this will be my last chance to get a "fun" car.