By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Gran Turismo Dominate Mario Kart Wii sales?

The_vagabond7 said:
As much as a fanboy as I am, I gotta say I think GT will do better. It will be THE definitive racing sim for many many years to come. I hate racing sims, I think they're boring as hell, and even I recognize what an incredible thing GT5 is shaping up to be. I think it's going to be one of the few actual system sellers for PS3. People seem to think every decent game is a system seller. I don't see MGS4 being an actual system seller, a great game that will sell incredibly well but I don't think it's going to make people run out and buy a PS3. GT5 on the other hand I could see actually persuading people to go out and get one. I think GT5 is to GT4 kind of what brawl is to Melee. A HUUUUUGE leap up in every kind of service that the series offers.

Quality has nothing to do with sales. MK will probably outsell GT, because the fanbase is larger, and both franchises are quite well known. Doesn't matter if MK sucks or not.

The only thing that could keep this from happening is if MK costs more than 49.99 or is supply constrained at first, because of the wheel.

If MK comes out first, and has already sold enough, to get past the first month of sales WW for GT, it will never hit second place, as it will have stronger legs due to the console it is exclusive too.

The real question is, will either of these games match up to Brawl or GTA? 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
finalsquall said:
GT5 is a better game though. Mariokart for little kiddies

Wow, your a retarded troll, pos.

Got any thoughts on actual sales? 

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Anyone who says GT is boring, is either a girl, is not paying attention, is a democrat, or needs to grow a pair. (mostly kidding there)

If you are a man, who enjoys typical guy things, like women, like guns, like cars- then Gran turismo is absolutely amazing.

I can understand it if all racing sims are not your type of game, but if you think GT is for some reason more boring than the others, than IMO you are terribly wrong. Still I understand you are entitled to your opinion.

@OP, mariokart will sell more no question about it.
I do think it will be closer than people think though.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Based on it's previous entries' sales, I'd say it's possible. But no one can deny the awesome power of Nintendos First party titles.

ultraslick said:
Anyone who says GT is boring, is either a girl, is not paying attention, is a democrat, or needs to grow a pair. (mostly kidding there)

If you are a man, who enjoys typical guy things, like women, like guns, like cars- then Gran turismo is absolutely amazing.

I can understand it if all racing sims are not your type of game, but if you think GT is for some reason more boring than the others, than IMO you are terribly wrong. Still I understand you are entitled to your opinion.

Okay.  The democrat thing is silly, and girls like cars too.  Many girls like cars.  If you are PERSON who enjoys cars, then GT5 is absolutely amazing.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Xyrax said:
So you guys are gonna do to GT and MK what you did to Metroid and Halo? Or Galaxy and Ratchet?

We are talking about a Kart racer and a Sim racer here. So different it isnt even funny. I guess when Tekken releases it will be Tekken sales vs Brawl?

Oh god please don't give them some ideas =p.

I bet Leo-J would make that thread and say Tekken 6 will sell more because...uhm...I don't know a reason but I bet Leo-J will find a idiot reason...

...cause you can see dem underwear of the girls.

anyways, do we count prologue sells as well?

I think both will do extremely well and will both offer great value for their money. so, case closed for me. 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

blaydcor said:

Gran Turismo bores me to tears. I could have more fun in my REAL car on the highway. The only time Gran Turismo interests me is when it's being turned off. Mario Kart, on the other hand, is actually a lot of fun, possibly one of the most effortlessly fun games ever created.

So I really hope it doesn't----though I very much doubt it will. A lot of GT's US sales came from teen-aged guys who bought the game just cause they love getting all the diffent models of car. Most of those same guys have moved from PS2 to Xbob 360; in that crowd, it's simply the "next console." I'm gauging this on quite a lot of people I know firsthand or through friends.

Nintendo's name however, has grown along with the Wii's. Mario is synonymous with Nintendo.

So, I think we'll see a much lower attach rate for GT than last gen, while Mario Kart's will be higher.

So, basically, Mario Kart will very easily outsell GT.

Ah yes, real driving. There is an excellent and fun drive I do often. its the A45 in Germany, a lot of curves and up and down. When you do that at 180 kmh (120 mph I think), its real fun and beats any driving game. then you get on the A5 towards Frankfurt and accelerate to 210 kmh (about 140 mph I think) rather straight highway. real driving beats them all.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

ultraslick said:

Bah, not all men are into car engines anymore. If they were, then games like Rallysport Challenge woulda sold more copies. GT sells for the simulation, the physics, and the tracks, but most importantly, it sells for the graphics. They have always been a selling point.

I just don't like slowing down to 20 miles an hour when I go around turns. I prefer arcade racers.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Faxanadu said:
blaydcor said:

Gran Turismo bores me to tears. I could have more fun in my REAL car on the highway. The only time Gran Turismo interests me is when it's being turned off. Mario Kart, on the other hand, is actually a lot of fun, possibly one of the most effortlessly fun games ever created.

So I really hope it doesn't----though I very much doubt it will. A lot of GT's US sales came from teen-aged guys who bought the game just cause they love getting all the diffent models of car. Most of those same guys have moved from PS2 to Xbob 360; in that crowd, it's simply the "next console." I'm gauging this on quite a lot of people I know firsthand or through friends.

Nintendo's name however, has grown along with the Wii's. Mario is synonymous with Nintendo.

So, I think we'll see a much lower attach rate for GT than last gen, while Mario Kart's will be higher.

So, basically, Mario Kart will very easily outsell GT.

Ah yes, real driving. There is an excellent and fun drive I do often. its the A45 in Germany, a lot of curves and up and down. When you do that at 180 kmh (120 mph I think), its real fun and beats any driving game. then you get on the A5 towards Frankfurt and accelerate to 210 kmh (about 140 mph I think) rather straight highway. real driving beats them all.

Driving fast in real life in a straight line is more boring to me than watching five gay Mongolian men do the "swansea" naked in an aquarium. Driving at any speed on a straight road is plain... plain. Give me corners and my old Saab! Muahahaha!!