By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is snaking bad?

Ostro said:
Player2 said:

It's funny that we have people complaining about MK Wii, where as unbalanced as the vehicle roster was, to be fast you needed to master several skills and know when and which one to use.

Not really. The items are way more connected to your position than in other karts (star on 3rd was possible earlier, but on MKW? Nope.) to make you catch up from behind and hinder the players in front who get a banana (wow).

Sure, you can run away from normal players by mastering sharp drifts and instant wheelies without steering for correction or keeping mushrooms to dodge the blue shell but that's not a big thing (take a look at the WR on Luigi Circuit that hasn't dropped at all since the release of the game. It just went 1'09"9 -> 1'09"1 or 2. Just shows how hard this game is to "master"). Lots of people can do that and if you throw them into the same race you will never see the same guy come out in the top3 if he really plays on his own.

Since you "snaked" in DD, I won't take your knowledge about MK too seriously, though.

You complain about not being able to pull away from other drivers, unlike previous MKs MK Wii has drafting, and on top of it you want a star for third place. Makes sense. Drafting is not luck-based and you take the risk of position yourself behind other people and getting hit by the banana or green shell they may have. I'll take that any day over a random star.

And I can run away from people that mastered sharp drifts and instant wheelies without steering for correction by stacking the speed boost from anything (like MTs) with the wheelie speed boost, and knowing where I should and where I shouldn't do tricks, for example. Combine all the things mentioned previously and we have something more interesting than knowing how many MTs can be done in a straightway.

Simplest track in the game is easy to master? Who'd thought that. How about Rainbow Road? The reason time hasn't improved is the simplicity of the track, and that no glitches that allowed to drive faster were found for it in all this years. If wheelies were discovered several months or years after the game release things would be completely different. Definitely we should blame Nintendo for explaining clearly the driving mechanics of the game since day 1, and allowing people to watch World Record laps ingame (madness!), making as easy as possible for everybody to learn how to drive fast. Only us forum dwellers are worthy of such knowledge. Oh, and having 5x more players surely had an impact on the number of fast drivers too.

Similarily skilled people people having a close race? Now that's something terrible.

Yay, terminology picking. I spammed the drift mini turbo in straights. Is that correct now?

Around the Network

The only track where snaking should not be used is Rainbow Road for obvious reasons. Heck, even drifting can be risky. That's the charm of Rainbow Road, you risk, you die. You don't risk, you die thanks to another racer hitting you. If you pick Yoshi, Toad or any character like that, you are SCREWED.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

snaking in MK I didnt know that I thought it was only possible in Fzero GX lol

are there any other games besides nintendo games that can do snaking ?

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Mr Khan said:
As implemented in Mario Kart DS (and likely Double Dash, but i never did much local multi with double dash, if any, so i never discovered it), it was a feature where those who snaked would win, and those who did not snake would not win, which made the drifting mechanic, only intended as one part of the game strategy, into the sole mechanic that mattered (unless all competitors were as good at snaking as you were)

It made the game into something it was not meant to be.

This. 

It pretty much forced you to use a non-fun mechanic to be competitive.

AZWification said:

I bet the same people complain about L canceling and wavedashing in Melee as well. Just try to become good  at the game for God's sake.  That's why Mario Kart Wii and Brawl respectively are so boring to me. They both cater to casual gamers and took out what was awesome about the previous games.

Wave dashing was a semi exploit.  Never encountered it myself but I had a friend in college (that was a pro at Smash) that went to local Melee tournaments.  He said he didn't like the play style of it but he had no problem beating their asses.  So it was a semi exploit but a real pro could still win without using it.  The same can't be said about people that snake and don't snake.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
AZWification said:

I bet the same people complain about L canceling and wavedashing in Melee as well. Just try to become good  at the game for God's sake.  That's why Mario Kart Wii and Brawl respectively are so boring to me. They both cater to casual gamers and took out what was awesome about the previous games.

The people who complain the most about exploits being removed in sequels are usually upset about the playing field being evened and thus being forced to try to become good at the game instead of taking victories home by using exploits most other people don't know about. Like you admitted in the original post, you aren't any good at Mario Kart DS, but thankfully snaking saves your sorry butt.

I've been gaming long enough to see several transitions in Mario Kart. Every new game gets flack from the people who played the previous one, because the old tactics don't work anymore; and blaming the game for one's own suckiness is certainly easier than admitting that you need more practice.

Wait, what? I said that I use snaking ONLY when I  want to get 1-3 stars. It's true . Try to get to 1-3 stars without  snaking and drifting and  see how that turns out. In another post I said I also use snaking when I must to. When I am in last place and I have no choice. "I only sometimes snake. I only snake when I am in last place because some jackass used  a blue shell. THAT is something people should complain about." My own words.

RolStoppable said:
AZWification said:

Wait, what? I said that I use snaking ONLY when I  want to get 1-3 stars. It's true . Try to get to 1-3 stars without  snaking and drifting and  see how that turns out. In another post I said I also use snaking when I must to. When I am in last place and I have no choice. "I only sometimes snake. I only snake when I am in last place because some jackass used  a blue shell. THAT is something people should complain about." My own words.

So you can use the quote button after all.

And you really don't grasp how snaking is worse than blue shells after posting what you just did?

I am sorry. I still hate blue shells. I once placed FOURTH in an online race. Why? Because  I got hit by a blue shell. I wasn't even snaking. I was just driving casually and drifting. Blue shells need to die or go back to their Mario Kart 64 roots when they did not even have wings.

AZWification said:
RolStoppable said:
AZWification said:

And you really don't grasp how snaking is worse than blue shells after posting what you just did?

I am sorry. I still hate blue shells. I once placed FOURTH in an online race. Why? Because  I got hit by a blue shell. I wasn't even snaking. I was just driving casually and drifting. Blue shells need to die or go back to their Mario Kart 64 roots when they did not even have wings.

Mario Kart 7 did rebalance it. They still have wings, but now they are lower to the ground and can take out anyone in the way.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
AZWification said:
RolStoppable said:
AZWification said:

Mario Kart 7 did rebalance it. They still have wings, but now they are lower to the ground and can take out anyone in the way.

I totally forgot since I don't touch MK7 that much anymore. I stopped playing MKWii a long while ago. Such a letdown.. No, not because of snaking, but because the overall unbalanced offline and online gameplay. I may try 7 again .

Alrighty, it's been explained why Snaking is bad for the game and why Blue Shells and the rest of the game are they way are a number of times, so we're done here. He's clearly just refusing to listen to reason (he's only respondly to select post, ignoring many key ones), and just wants to whine n complain rather than understand. You may not agree, you may not like it, but that's just how Mario Kart is and always will be. Best to just accept that simple fact or move on to a different game.