By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Confirmed, if you are banned from xbl you lose all your games

DJEVOLVE said:
Xen said:

There is a lot of wrong with this post, and I bolded it all out. Responding to all would take me two hours, at least, but I'll just respond to used games and "benefits for you".

For one, not everybody can afford a bunch of new games every month. People post-2007 have gotten quite a bit poorer, in the US and everywhere else. The used game market has always been around to fill in the need of poorer people and the needs of collectors. It won't go away as long as there is the need for it - and even so, Microsoft only limits the used market, they're not eliminating it. Here's a good video on the topic:

For the other, don't expect any good for the gamer out of those measures Microsoft introduces. They're doing all that they are doing to squeeze every last dime out of the consumer. Starting with their overly expensive console ($500 is a lot - but 500 Euros is MUCH more. Plus, the salaries in most of the Eurozone frequently lower than in the US), and ending in pimping the used game market. I know I probably won't convince you, but I can't miss it anyway.

Thats your opinion and only that. Many games never buy new, ever.

His is a fairly well informed opinion though. If a gamer doesn't buy new now, what makes you think they'll suddenly be able to afford new games later? They're more likely to turn to piracy as an even cheaper alternative.

The used game market allows those from middle income households to trade in games and make more new purchases in the long run. Studies also show that most impulse buys tend to be for used games as it reduces the risk, but this also improves exposure to franchises and gaming brands. Effectively, each used game customer is a publishers future customer.

Around the Network

Hmmm... does the ban only affect the console or the entire account?

I got a second-hand 360 that turned out to be chipped. I got banned from Live on my console but my account seems to work still (at least for GFWL and AoE: Online).

Scoobes said:
Hmmm... does the ban only affect the console or the entire account?

I got a second-hand 360 that turned out to be chipped. I got banned from Live on my console but my account seems to work still (at least for GFWL and AoE: Online).

My guess is account bans for normal offences, but console AND account ban for chipping/modding.

I agree with this as long as the reason your getting banned is a serious offence such as hacking, cheating or using pirated games.

People are sort of over-reacting, but yeah this isn't good news.

Around the Network

That's not surprising, but to be honest you shouldn't lose access to your physical single player games. I probably won't ever get banned from anywhere but this is a bit harsh. What a waste of money.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Xen said:
Should this policy get into the known, XBL will become the most polite community in the world, bar none.
God damn.

I have a feeling Microsoft is tired of the little racist/ sexist kids that ruined their reputation on XBL , so they're sending them to PS4

DJEVOLVE said:

I'm sorry but I watched a lot of great games go to Sh-t because of the used game and piracy market. I think this has to happen. Most really don't think to far beyond, I'm poor and I want it now. Instead of planning, saving and buying. Rather they sell everything off in their collection like a crack house, rather then go work.

This may be none of you but this is how I look at some gamers. They don't ever contribute anything to the market, yet act like us that buy new should flip the bill. You are keeping game prices high. Why should they lower the price if Game stop will always beat them buy $5 dollars. Whats even better is people are so happy over a $5 savings.

Just my take. I feel with these policies, my games will drop faster in price. The company can afford to give me more for my money without worrying about the cheap skate out their. So really I hope this works great and Sony has to conform. Watch many publishers give exclusive games to MS. It's going to happen.

Bullshit

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

This is pretty much the same thing that happened with Origin a year ago.  You'd think Microsoft would have learned from that.  Origin originally required you to be online and if you were banned you lost access to all your games.  They eventually added an offline mode due to the outcry, and you can still access your single player games when banned.  They even seem to have copied the same sort of blanket bans where people were getting locked out of their Origin account for posts on the Bioware forums.  Now Microsoft is apparently throwing out xbox live bans for what you upload to skydrive.

As for steam, I am fairly sure VAC bans are game specific (though I believe old source games are grouped together).  Even then they are only for VAC enabled servers.  If you somehow manage to get your entire steam account banned, I believe it is the same as origin where you can still access games in offline mode.

kowenicki said:

Bit like if you pay to join a sports club, say a golf club for hundreds of pounds, and are kicked out for breaking rules... you dont get a refund.

This analogy only works if the only thing Microsoft keeps is the money you spent on Gold.  They don't take your golf clubs if you get kicked out.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
loy310 said:
Would the ban effectively brick the console itself, or can you still play disc games?

Microsoft designed the Xbox 360 to be utterly useless outside of single player gaming offline. You're just kicked out of Xbox Live. It forces gamers to buy new Xboxes.

Nvm I think I figured it out, it would be like the 360, the console won't be banned so you can just creat a new account and continue using the same console, but it does suck that you will lose your purchased content with the account ban. That should be considered stealing from users. MS have to leave the games available to you offline after the ban, they have to, other wise they won't stand a chance if somebody sues. Ban them from multiplayer but not from their purchased content :/ 

no problem with the ban, but the content belongs to the user digital or otherwise.

That's like apple banning you from iTunes and not allowing you to listen to your music that is stored locally on the device after the ban, so is the console considered a license also?